• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions for 60+ age players

The value of staying in the fairway, particularly on tough courses, can't be discounted, either. I see some much bigger arms get into troublesome places that I don't have any fear of having to deal with.

The value of staying in the fairway, particularly on tough courses, can't be discounted, either. I see some much bigger arms get into troublesome places that I don't have any fear of having to deal with.

There are some young guys that join our "old man group" every now and then. Sometimes the guy that easily throws over 400 feet gets beat because his big distance gets him in deep trouble.

You throw about the same distances that I do at 57 years old. If they're in the fairway, you're just fine. I hope I'm still throwing that far 5 years from now.

Thanks again for all the replies. The guys I play disc golf with are considerably younger than me, some by 40 years. It's been so helpful to get some perspective!

Last edited:
The thing I will say about increasing distance as a result of improving technique is that you start throwing all your molds farther with less effort. When you're not throwing for max D all the time, you can be more accurate because you can get out there with less "oomph" and slower molds.

BogeyNoMore, I experienced this today. After watching a YouTube video last night, I realized I was swaying my hips instead of turning them. I focused on this today, and what an amazing difference it made. I gained distance on all throws. This was the case at whatever speed I was trying to throw. It was also easier on my knee. My body rotated instead of falling forward after the throw. I guess I had only been using my upper body, and was trying to strong arm everything.

I'm 58 and have been playing off and on for about 5 years. I can't compete with the younger guys for distance, but I can hang with them by throwing 2 well-placed 275 footers. They will drive HUGE distances and then miss their up-shot. I love to get a couple of them trying to outdrive one another and start throwing wild shots. I just quietly advance my disc and putt out.

I will turn 73 next month and have been playing for almost 5 years. Your numbers exceed mine by quite a bit. I struggle with my form and consistency. My drives will vary between 175' to 250' on level ground. I am strictly a backhand thrower, the only time I use my forehand is when I have gotten in trouble and that is my only option. Basically, it hurts to throw forehand so that is why I avoid it. The most optimistic part of my game is putting. I have a practice basket at home and use it a lot. I live in Iowa and try to play everyday in the spring/summer/fall and as much as possible in the winter. Paid the price for that this winter though, slipped on ice and split my elbow open and had to have stitches. Won't be doing that again!:(

Wproct, I hope I am still playing at 73. If my math is correct you did not start playing until you were 67 or so. I am impressed!

Trees are the great equalizer. Things that will save you strokes on wooded courses, in rough order:

1. Putting
2. Driving accuracy and line-shaping
3. Approaches
4. Get-out-of-trouble shots
5. Driving distance

If you concentrate on your putting, short game, and driving accuracy, pretty soon you will be teaching those young punks a lesson in the woods.

Regarding sidearm and shoulder trouble: I suggest working on throwing short putter/mid sidearms with just your wrist and fingers. This should reduce strain on your shoulder while being incredibly useful on the course. With practice you can probably reach 100 to 150' using just your wrist and fingers.

Oh and your distances are great for your age (not much more than mine) and as short a time as you have been playing. I know lots of young guys who have been playing for years who do not exceed those distances.

Good luck!

There are some young guys that join our "old man group" every now and then. Sometimes the guy that easily throws over 400 feet gets beat because his big distance gets him in deep trouble.

You throw about the same distances that I do at 57 years old. If they're in the fairway, you're just fine. I hope I'm still throwing that far 5 years from now.

But that's also because of their poor decision-making in shot selection. If you have 400+ft distance with a driver, and you're (they're) still throwing a driver on a 280'-hole, then that's on them. They COULD choose to use their big arms to throw putters on 280' holes, and take the advantage of more margin or error.

But that's also because of their poor decision-making in shot selection. If you have 400+ft distance with a driver, and you're (they're) still throwing a driver on a 280'-hole, then that's on them. They COULD choose to use their big arms to throw putters on 280' holes, and take the advantage of more margin or error.

Although they've spent countless hours on their driving form, it's been 90% distance practice. Their short game is "less than stellar". That's the reason they're playing with "the old guys". They're learning the short and mental game. Bad shots effect them a LOT more than it does those more experienced in life. We know it's not the end of the world... or the round.

Don't take this wrong... the young guns win more than they lose. We like to play the big courses and their driving advantage is good for 6 or 7 strokes.

Although they've spent countless hours on their driving form, it's been 90% distance practice. Their short game is "less than stellar". That's the reason they're playing with "the old guys". They're learning the short and mental game. Bad shots effect them a LOT more than it does those more experienced in life. We know it's not the end of the world... or the round.

Exactly. experience means good decision-making. "They", not having much experience (or good experience), seem less inclined toward good decision-making.

Just getting to this now 5 years later. I hope you are still playing! I am 58 and have been playing for 40 years on and off. Seriously trying to improve since Covid hit. I think your distance is up to Par with your age group. I play with a group close to the same age and most do not throw that far, and they have been playing for decades! 325 is around my avg. I have hip issues and a sore shoulder that I deal with from aging, but I keep at it. Focus on pulling through from your core and staying flexible. There are many great videos online to give you pointers to add to your game. Most importantly, enjoy the walk through the course as there is nothing to me more enjoyable than playing around on a nice afternoon.

I am 63 and began playing just a few years ago. My drives are maxed out at 280 - 300 feet. To make up for it I developed an upshot that can almost always park it from about 120 feet out (unless trees get me). That enables me to kind of keep up with the young guys on many holes. They're gonna always have the advantage on the wide open, 500-plus holes.

I am 63 and began playing just a few years ago. My drives are maxed out at 280 - 300 feet. To make up for it I developed an upshot that can almost always park it from about 120 feet out (unless trees get me). That enables me to kind of keep up with the young guys on many holes. They're gonna always have the advantage on the wide open, 500-plus holes.
This just about mirrors my strategy also. I'm now 77 and one of the guys I play with is only 15 or 16 and only been playing for about a year and a half and he is throwing 425-450 and I gotta get a couple decent drives and a well placed upshot to get there.:D

Age and experience can't outsmart lack of distance. An aging, 68-year-old, Steady Ed told me and many others that as long as he could play from the shortest set of six tees on his Lakeport course, he could keep up with Ken Climo and other top pros during the 90s if they played from his longest set of tees.

As a 63 year old who has worn himself out due to a lifetime of other sporting pursuits, disc golf being taken up only 3 years ago, I found that I can drive decently because of strength, BUT I prefer to work with approach shots and good disc placement. Smashing my Corvette for all I'm worth too many times in an afternoon will have me limping around with a sore knee and arthritic foot for a few days. The approach shot method will have me walking around as normal and I'll be able to also play the next day. Playing two rounds of disc golf is actually harder on my body than a 100 kilometer bike ride.