• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions for 60+ age players

I'm trying to become more accurate with my putting, much more accurate. As the saying goes in ball golf....drive for show, putt for dough. I feel if I can get my putting accurate and my approach shots can get me inside my putting comfort zone, I have a chance to compete against the majority of players that I go up against.

I was surprised and very pleased to see this thread pop up. I appreciate the kind and helpful responses. I had to take almost two years off due to knee and arthritis issues. I started playing again about three months ago.

I no longer throw anything over speed 9. My hand has a tremor and getting consistent nose angle is difficult. My max distance over level ground is still about 300 feet for the fairways. My focus now is accuracy. The short game is my strongest asset.

I can not overstate how glad I am to be on the course again. No longer is competition the motivator. I am playing for my health and enjoyment. Playing alone is just as enjoyable as playing with friends. Disc golf has allowed me to lose 30 pounds and feel better than I have in years, even though I am now 67.

Sorry for all the personal details. I just wanted everyone to know how therapeutic this sport can be. In my initial post I said I wished I had started playing when I was younger. Now, I am just thankful disc golf holds such a beneficial place in my life.

I'm 69, started playing when I was 58. I too am thankful for not only having disc golf in my life, but for still having a passion for it that gets me out on the course almost every day. I truly believe that this sport will extend my life and keep me healthy much longer than I would had I not found disc golf when I did.

My goal is to break Don Shinn's MA100 distance record. I hope I make it.:cool:

There are some young guys that join our "old man group" every now and then. Sometimes the guy that easily throws over 400 feet gets beat because his big distance gets him in deep trouble.

You throw about the same distances that I do at 57 years old. If they're in the fairway, you're just fine. I hope I'm still throwing that far 5 years from now.

I love to mess with the younger guys by goading them into trying to out drive one another. If I can get them to try too hard I can just do my boring short-straight throws and out score them.

I was surprised and very pleased to see this thread pop up. I appreciate the kind and helpful responses. I had to take almost two years off due to knee and arthritis issues. I started playing again about three months ago.

I no longer throw anything over speed 9. My hand has a tremor and getting consistent nose angle is difficult. My max distance over level ground is still about 300 feet for the fairways. My focus now is accuracy. The short game is my strongest asset.

I can not overstate how glad I am to be on the course again. No longer is competition the motivator. I am playing for my health and enjoyment. Playing alone is just as enjoyable as playing with friends. Disc golf has allowed me to lose 30 pounds and feel better than I have in years, even though I am now 67.

Sorry for all the personal details. I just wanted everyone to know how therapeutic this sport can be. In my initial post I said I wished I had started playing when I was younger. Now, I am just thankful disc golf holds such a beneficial place in my life.

About 20 years ago I missed the bulk of 2 years to an injury, and many times since I've told people that playing poorly is vastly better than not being able to play at all.

66 here, I've been playing for about five years since picking it back up after a long time away.

Although still working, I still manage to get in about 100 rounds a year. The one advantage of still working is that I carry a small bag in my carry-on for business trips - which is a contributor to why I've been able to play in 24 US states.

As much as I like playing, I've also found real enjoyment in bagging new courses -and in writing reviews of them here so others can discover them and get a little more insight into what to expect rather than just relying on uDisc. So check out my 300+ reviews; maybe I've played in your area. And I really like feedback (not just thumbs up) on whether I've done right by a course in other peoples' opinions.

Maybe I'll see you out there.

I'm 59 and just started playing 3 1/2 years ago. IMO at our age, its all about keeping approaches and putting Sharpe, that drops strokes. Something I carried over from ball golf playing at 20 plus years and half that time tournaments. First year discing spent a lot of time on the short game, very little throwing on the practice field having a sloppy 4-step.

Just after my first year satisfied with the short game and started with the standstill to get my tee box game and form caught up, after a few months of standstill, just about all of 2021 a one-step, last year x-step, and this month just started transitioning to a three-step with putters. I didn't think it would take this long, at the end of the year if I'm happy with the 3-step, I'll see if I want to proceed with the 4-step, it's taken a lot of patience. I hope to have a solid game until mid-60's if not longer. I think its possible longer, I do an aqua track workout the mornings I'm not on the course. The strong legs help with whip, and stamina, I always play two rounds, sometimes a third. I've met some of my distance goals which I listed at the standstill, with the putters on the x-step, I expect to be consistent with the drivers sometime this summer on the 3-step.

It's been fun, 2021 was the year of course bagging at 70 plus and played some great courses Hawk Hollow, Lake Marshall to name a few, 2020 was the year of indulgence at around 550 rounds. 2022 and present more of a mix, mostly close to home. Munden Point (very windy, which I enjoy) is my home course and I call it my therapy course for its scenic beauty and wildlife. All the other courses I play are wooded which I prefer and more technical. I enjoy writing reviews. I've met some great people, the old timer's bench at Bayville 1977', played with an MPO long to shorts, and upcoming amateur in our area from the Pro tees showing me a game I've never seen before flying disc up in the canopy, a Master's close to our age with wicked putting game in 20 mph wind, and finished a few holes with a few guys wearing Discraft Team shirts didn't recognize any of them, they had game. Just yesterday playing with a couple of youngsters I dropped one about 85 feet out standstill, I turned to them "not bad for an old man".

I'm going to enjoy the ride as long as I can and try to keep improving, one day I know the back sliding will start. I just wished it could have started a few decades ago.

From one 62 year old to another, your distances are fine.

1. Most AM60 and AM50 events I play, those number would put you 25-50ft beyond the people on your card.

2. As you said your lines are improving and looking good. I throw a bit farther but in most events seniors play a shorter layout so distance is almost never an issue. Hit your landing spots and you will be fine. Play in an event in the age restricted MA60 and you will get an idea of were you fit in with your peers.

3. Most people at our age throw neutral to under stable to get a full flight and we drop down in weight on drivers to assist in getting that full flight. Lighter discs are a but more flippy. You will see a lot of guys throwing a hyper flip with say a 150-160g Mamba to get a bit more glide. Mid range disc in the mid 170's work well. Putters are max weight.

4. Stable disc are saved for head winds. They will stand up and flatten out. They come in handy for utility shots where the shape of the line is more important that distance.

5. As for flicks, a lot of guys have problems with shoulders. 80% power is usually good enough to get a disc on its way and that might help with the shoulder. This going to sound dumb but a Total Gym helps me keep flexible and you can watch You Tube disc golf events while you are working out. I hit that thing 4 days a weeks for about 40 minutes. I do free weight as well, but that's just to help keep up with muscle mass. Plus on the days were I have 2 round events I have found I don't break down in the middle of the second round as a result of the workouts.

Hope this helps.

\
I am 62 years old and have been playing disc golf for 9 months. My form has improved and my lines have gotten tighter since I started. I seem to have reached a cap of approximately 320ft for distance drivers, 300ft for fairway drivers and 280ft for midranges. I do not throw my putter for drives.

I am trying to determine what are reasonable expectations for distance and what types of discs I should be throwing. I would really like to hear from other senior golfers because of the similar body limitations we may have in common.

My questions:

1. Are my distances equivalent to other seniors?

2. Are my gaps between disc categories normal? They seem small to me.

3. I have overstable, neutral and understable in each disc category. Do others use overstable, particularly in a distance driver?

4. I have difficulty with forehands. I tend to throw with OAT and it sometimes causes shoulder discomfort. Should I focus on backhands with understable discs, particularly for longer throws?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I am loving this sport. I only wish I had discovered it when I was younger!

From one 62 year old to another, your distances are fine.

1. Most AM60 and AM50 events I play, those number would put you 25-50ft beyond the people on your card.

2. As you said your lines are improving and looking good. I throw a bit farther but in most events seniors play a shorter layout so distance is almost never an issue. Hit your landing spots and you will be fine. Play in an event in the age restricted MA60 and you will get an idea of were you fit in with your peers.

3. Most people at our age throw neutral to under stable to get a full flight and we drop down in weight on drivers to assist in getting that full flight. Lighter discs are a but more flippy. You will see a lot of guys throwing a hyper flip with say a 150-160g Mamba to get a bit more glide. Mid range disc in the mid 170's work well. Putters are max weight.

4. Stable disc are saved for head winds. They will stand up and flatten out. They come in handy for utility shots where the shape of the line is more important that distance.

5. As for flicks, a lot of guys have problems with shoulders. 80% power is usually good enough to get a disc on its way and that might help with the shoulder. This going to sound dumb but a Total Gym helps me keep flexible and you can watch You Tube disc golf events while you are working out. I hit that thing 4 days a weeks for about 40 minutes. I do free weight as well, but that's just to help keep up with muscle mass. Plus on the days were I have 2 round events I have found I don't break down in the middle of the second round as a result of the workouts.

Hope this helps.

\

#2....where do you live/play? I'm in Arizona and rarely do us old disc golfers play a different layout from anyone else. I play in MA60+ and we play the same tee pads/baskets that the Pros and other AMs play.

#5....I'm predominantly a forehand thrower. I have found my walk-up makes a difference. If I face the line and walk-up facing my line, I tend to throw with my shoulder/elbow. If I line up sideways and walk-up sideways (similar to a backhand), I find I throw more with my hips and my arm just follows through. Besides less pain, it has improved my forehand throws.

#2....where do you live/play? I'm in Arizona and rarely do us old disc golfers play a different layout from anyone else. I play in MA60+ and we play the same tee pads/baskets that the Pros and other AMs play.

#5....I'm predominantly a forehand thrower. I have found my walk-up makes a difference. If I face the line and walk-up facing my line, I tend to throw with my shoulder/elbow. If I line up sideways and walk-up sideways (similar to a backhand), I find I throw more with my hips and my arm just follows through. Besides less pain, it has improved my forehand throws.

I think Arizona is an anomaly (as it is in nearly everything). I have played several tournaments around the country and obviously many here in Michigan. All of them have played shorter tees or shorter courses.

I think Arizona is an anomaly (as it is in nearly everything). I have played several tournaments around the country and obviously many here in Michigan. All of them have played shorter tees or shorter courses.

Yeah, it is super rare that the age protected groups play from shorter tees. Heck, I've played tournaments with shotgun starts, where us old guys had to get to the tee furthest away from the player's meeting.

It's also super rare to find a MA4 (used to be Novice) division. There are a few this year, but that is a huge change from past years.

But it is what it is. We just deal with it and do our best.

Yeah, it is super rare that the age protected groups play from shorter tees. Heck, I've played tournaments with shotgun starts, where us old guys had to get to the tee furthest away from the player's meeting.

It's also super rare to find a MA4 (used to be Novice) division. There are a few this year, but that is a huge change from past years.

But it is what it is. We just deal with it and do our best.

Weird. Most of our TD's are at least 40+, so they are pretty good on keeping the geezers to a short walk, lol.

Most of the long tees on tournament courses here are brutal. I would be less likely to play tournaments, if forced to the long tees. We also have a reasonably engaged and active group of old guys. I am guessing we would organize in some fashion to put pressure on TD's to change.

Same in NY. MP50 and MP60 play same layout as MPO. MA50 and MA 60 play same layout as MA1

Same in NY. MP50 and MP60 play same layout as MPO. MA50 and MA 60 play same layout as MA1

It makes some sense. MA50/60 are still considered advanced divisions, having no ratings cap. Around here it is pretty common to have half or better of the AM50 division come in over 900. MA60 does not make as much sense. But, given the significant distance difference between the typical MA1 and MA50, the same tees don't make sense to me.

Heck, I've played tournaments with shotgun starts, where us old guys had to get to the tee furthest away from the player's meeting.

This has been a pet peeve of mind ever since I grew old enough to complain about it.

I see a lot of TDs filling a scoreboard in the same order: Pros, MA1, MA40 (etc.), then MA2 (etc.) -- which tends to land land the older guys around holes 8-11, which are often at the far reaches of the course.

We used to stagger the start of the scoreboard on 2-day tournaments, so the pros would start different rounds on Holes 1, 7, 13, and 1, and everyone else rotate around. That gave everyone an opportunity to start at least one round near HQ...and everyone to get a taste of starting in the far corners of the course.

Older TDs in WI learned from Duster on how to play favorites for the older divisions, since Duster was one of the old guys he would start the Masters at Elver on the temp holes near the parking lot and tourney central. Unfortunately, I was a AM1 back then and always had to start at the far holes on the other side of the hill. That meant that before the round you walk up the front of the hill, over the top and down the backside of the hill to start your round. During the round you work your way back up to the hilltop and the play your way down to the temporary holes. Play the temp holes then then go back to the permanent holes... work your way back up the hilltop and the down the backside to finish the round.

Then you got the pleasure to walk back up to the top just to go back down to turn in your scorecard...

For those keeping score, that meant going up that d@mn hill four times for one round of golf...

I hated walking Elver...but loved the course.

Do you find many tournaments in southern MI that have MA50 or MA55 divisions? I am a few years away from MA60, but would love to find some that have MA55...What kind of numbers (of players) do you typically see in those divisions? Would 875 level golf be competitive?

Last edited:
Do you find many tournaments in southern MI that have MA50 or MA55 divisions? I am a few years away from MA60, but would love to find some that have MA55...What kind of numbers (of players) do you typically see in those divisions? Would 875 level golf be competitive?

Outside of DGLO, we don't really have MA55 offered anywhere. Most tournaments around here offer a MA50, especially now that a group of our TD's are 50+. MA60 is generally offered upon request. 875 can be competitive, but you better have a good tournament. We have several regular tournament geezers above 900.

Come on up and play a couple Ann Arbor Area Disc (A3) events. We run terrific events on some wonderful tracks. The old guys are a ton of fun.

Latest posts