• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

J-Man said:
8521-521147-p.jpg

Just picked these up; not cheap but the fit is fabulous and they are constructed for foot and ankle torque with reinforcement at the toe.
Those shoes look awesome for dry weather disc golf. I may have to pick up a pair like that. Thanks J-Man.

I'm currently rocking a pair of sandals from Salomon. I don't remember what specific model they are and I can't find them on Salomon's website. They're last seasons model so I got a good deal on them. I've had them for about a month or so and they're working great for now. The sole is absolutely amazing. Some of the teepads that trouble others never trouble me. The sandals are breathable but the design looks like a sneaker. They're extremely comfortable in every situation that I've encountered so far, whether that's rafting down the river or hiking up and down hills.

The only complaint I have so far is that the odor control is total bullshit. I wore these shoes to a weekend tournament and by Sunday they reeked. I brought along another pair of shoes to wear during my off-time and those sandals were just fine; the Salomons, though, had to receive a healthy dousing of Lysol.

Last, I have to question the construction of these sandals. Having worn them everywhere in the woods, river and the city, they've held up just fine. It's only been a month, though, so I would expect that. Looking at the shoe, I can only hope for the best regarding the longevity. Currently there's one weak spot of stitching on the left shoe toe joint area (where the toe connects to the rest of your foot) but everything else is doing just fine. I think with some shoe goo application that everything will work out just fine.

Regarding Salomons in general, from my experience the sole will last forever but you'll have to take a little extra care of the rest of the shoe. So it goes.

jtkustomizer said:
stoneman said:
jtkustomizer said:
Got me some new shoes last night. Everywhere I looked at Merrels/salomens was out of stock in my size so I went with a pair of Hi-Tecs that were on sale for 30. I might go back and buy me another pair since they were so cheap. They are just as comfortabe as any of the merrels/salomens but they are just a tad bit lighter in weight. I will be playing in a one day tourney tomorrow and well see how the react on the course. I have been playing in my skate shoes lately and they have been getting uncomfortable after the first 9 holes

http://www.hi-tec.com/category.php?styleId=8369&colourId=24323

Can you order those online for30 bucks? I'd give them a try.

I dont think sobut I could go and pick you up a pair if you tell me what size and pay for shipping.

You might try http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=BExFkqQE4SKaiMoTSiAHBvcnMC56r-SXS5_SpBc_CowfwhA4QAhgHIJ-LnQYoBTABOAFQyoXMy_z_____AWDJ1tCI-KOcFZABAsgBAcgCqq1f0AIB2QNSiHll5kOMV-ADEA&num=7&ggladgrp=18035126351363772181&gglcreat=2694103482430967350&sig=AGiWqtzdKliOovXJPuVCOi0ge78eL9v_6Q&q=http://tracking.searchmarketing.com/gsic.asp%3FAID%3D25782779

Thats where i bought them

I'll keep looking for those. Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to put you through the hassle.

Here they are in size 10, if anyone's interested. If they were 11 or 11.5, I'd have a pair on the way. Shipping is only like 5 bucks.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/760785?vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH

Just got a pair of Chameleon II's, I've worn them for one round in wet conditions and my feet were just fine. They fit great on my wide feet too. I'll get back to you on durability.

Mars Volta said:
Just got a pair of Chameleon II's, I've worn them for one round in wet conditions and my feet were just fine. They fit great on my wide feet too. I'll get back to you on durability.

Probably be the one of the most durable pairs of shoes youve ever tried on the disc course, I used to know/work with a few Merrell reps, they are the best in the business.

Actually trying to get ahold of them again to talk disc golf features in their shoes.

disctribution said:
Here's a review on the Merrell Chameleon Stretch II's. I wear a size 14 and am about 6'3 and 285lbs.

Well its a little early for a real in depth review but I'll post a first impression review:

I first opened the box and was impressed with how they looked. cool!

I loosened the laces and tried to slip my foot in..........huh? Are these too small? Checked the size......it's right. Looked for the directions so I could figure out how to put them on. Finally I just pulled them on but it took A LOT of force. Once i got them on they fit like a glove. They need a little 'break in' but they're decent.

Now I'm a big boy, so good shoes are critical. I played two rounds and feet were fine all day. The Merrells definately are not as ventilated as my North Face trail shoes were, but it was 100 degrees today so I'm not going to judge them yet. The most impressive feature of the shoes was the durability. 2 rounds on concrete tees with plenty of side-arm toe-dragging and not even a scratch on the vibram soles. Absolutely no sign of sole separation, which was already apparent on my North Face shoes at this point. In fact, I've already received a refund for them.

Overall I'm happy with cham stretch II's so far, but I will write more as time goes by. I'll probably also buy a pair of Salomon Pro 3D's and write a review on them too.

Well it's been about 4 months since I first put these on. I've pretty much been playing exclusively in these shoes. Today the lace snapped which pretty much makes these shoes paperweights until I can get them fixed. I'm going to try and get them fixed via the warranty but it still sucks to be out a good pair of shoes 3 days before a big tournament. Oh well. It was a fun 4 months, but I'm still searching for shoes that can last at least a year.

I typically use New Balance trail "racers". The model is #790. These are not your typical trail runners from NB. They are like slippers with rugged soles. They only weigh 8oz each and the majority of the upper is a breathable mesh. You do sacrifice some support for the major loss in weight, but I find I don't need it on most DG courses and prefer the nimbleness it provides and I love the feel for teeing off.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/newbalanceMR790CH.htm

I have a question about footwear...

Would it not stand to reason that you could do more damage to your knees in a new pair of really really grippy shoes?

I just thought about the ones I wear to the course, and at work, and everywhere else I may happen to go that is not one of these two.

I thought to myself that I should buy a new pair months ago, but low and behold, I still have the same pair... been about ( :oops: ) 17 months now.

I don't think they'll last 18 months, but I'm just thinking out loud now...

terrainish courses Merrell Mid Ventilators with nice Smartwool socks, parkish courses NB Trailrunners with regular low cut socks. Both with inserts for comfort. I play better with happy feet 8)

bogies is dave said:

Would it not stand to reason that you could do more damage to your knees in a new pair of really really grippy shoes?

I just thought about the ones I wear to the course, and at work, and everywhere else I may happen to go that is not one of these two.

I thought to myself that I should buy a new pair months ago, but low and behold, I still have the same pair... been about ( :oops: ) 17 months now.

I agree with this theory. I believe that on concrete or rubber tees you should NOT have really grippy shoes. On dirt tees and anything else it doesn't matter. I believe your foot, ankle, and knee need to be allowed to perform the follow through. If your foot is stopped from pivoting by grip, you knee and ankle will take the full strain of the follow through.

disctribution said:
bogies is dave said:

I agree with this theory. I believe that on concrete or rubber tees you should NOT have really grippy shoes. On dirt tees and anything else it doesn't matter. I believe your foot, ankle, and knee need to be allowed to perform the follow through. If your foot is stopped from pivoting by grip, you knee and ankle will take the full strain of the follow through.

My trouble is I'm quite leg power dependent and the ground gets super wet during fall and grass separates at the roots from mud underneath. Currently my thinking is I'll buy rubber boots for water insulation and add warming layers inside. I found a rubber boot for orienteering that has the option of adding metal spikes to it. I'm gonna. Under 100$ is great news after reading reviews from orienteers about shoes for them that break thanks to weak glues for work safety at 200$.

This is the other end of the spectrum. I tried add on spikes that were a little over tenth of an inch tall and it's more than is allowed on practice fields with faux grass and is too sticky on rubber tees. I'll definitely keep the spikes at under 2 mm tall so that I can use the boots on practice fields. The spikes need to be wide flat tipped and hopefully a bit round at the bottom to avoid ripping clothes and puncturing skin.

That's the plan. Haven't went to the store yet to see what kind of spikes they have. Might wanna try these without spikes too just in case because I was really surprised about regular waders with soft gummy soles holding well on moist grass. Adding rubber nubs to the soles like in the wader for orienteers might work better than I imagine.

Not too optimistic though. Really afraid that nothing less than tall spikes penetrating lawn to mud is the only way to not slip around and fall down 4-5 times like last fall and this spring. That means very slow approach steps if it happens. I'll need to see how easy and quick it's to change spikes if tall spikes are needed. Wouldn't wanna hospitalize myself with an inch of steel in my calf.

disctribution said:
disctribution said:
Here's a review on the Merrell Chameleon Stretch II's. .

Well it's been about 4 months since I first put these on. I've pretty much been playing exclusively in these shoes. Today the lace snapped which pretty much makes these shoes paperweights until I can get them fixed. I'm going to try and get them fixed via the warranty but it still sucks to be out a good pair of shoes 3 days before a big tournament. Oh well. It was a fun 4 months, but I'm still searching for shoes that can last at least a year.

If that is the shoe I think it is, you CAN get a regular shoe lace in there as a temporary replacement.

When I first started throwing I wore some Vans Bucky Laseks... well made shoe, but sore feet.

Then I wore some Nike Shox, very comfortable, but not made to throw disc in as the sole started to separate.

So, last week I ordered a pair of Merrell Chameleon Wrap Gore Tex XCR's. This shoe is very comfortable and I hope it holds up. If it does I'll more than likely order the mid(low boot) version to compliment them for swampy/snowy weather.

I also ordered 2 pairs of Smartwool Adrenaline socks, $8.57 each. Bring on the Fall!

I picked these up a few months ago....and so far..love them. Only complaint is that concrete tee's are wearing them down fast!

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&productID=6941

I got em on sale....only reason I got em. Yes they are ugly. They take a lil bit to get them on your feet as the shoe is actually a running shoe...with all the wrap to repel water. I forded a lil creek...and feet were bone dry!

solt

Eric O said:
It would certainly piss me off, if I saw someone tearing up the ground on the disc golf course in cleats. Bad form.

Of course, I couldn't speak for your neck of the woods but that's how it would be around here.
What kind of manicured courses do you play on that cleats would be a problem? Even on the mowed grass of a soccer field it takes 22 people constantly running in wet weather to tear it up. Not trying o be a smart a** just wondering if I'm missing something. :?

courses around here, if they get any regular use, show significant wear and tear from normal foot traffic without cleats, especially in the wintertime.

KC's "down under" course is a collection of short, super tight, technical holes with natural tees. This course gets a lot of play during the winter, and we normally have to level pads twice during the winter season due to cleat wear.

Latest posts