• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quick Putting

little oz

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I play 99% of my rounds alone, mostly on my lunch break. Out of necessity for speed, i often putt with my backpack on, unless I'm in a spot where I need to take it off. When i do take it off, i feel like my consistency suffers. I actually feel and perform better with my pack on. Step up, barely focus, and putt at the basket as a whole. When i set the pack down, focus on a link, etc., i seem to tighten up and overthink it. Anyone else putt with their pack on?

I played a casual round with a player that I just happened to meet on the course, and he didn't putt with his back pack on, but he did putt quick. He said that he can putt better that way than if he sets up and really concentrates.

I don't and I don't know of anyone who does except for tap-ins. For you, however, the reason you do worse without your backpack on is you haven't practiced/played that way. It throws you off since you are missing the extra weight that you are used to. Well, there's also the focusing on a link..etc that you normally don't do. There's no right or wrong way to putt. There's just what works for you. If there was a right way, we wouldn't have push/spin/spush/turbo putting. So, go with what works for you and gives you the best chance to make the putt.

It could just be a timing thing....I talked with Nathan Queen at a local tournament because I saw he rarely ever used a mini. He said that the time it takes to place a mini and pick up his disc throws off his routine/timing. It also forces him to look away from his line/target and look at the ground. He does use a mini when it gives him better footing, but that is it. So it might be the same for you with bag on putting....you walk up to your disc and putt....no delays, no loss of focus.

It's either Jeremy Koling or Nate Sexton that does a quick putt thing.
He marks his lie, figures out what he wants to do then backs away for a few seconds...then walks up to his marker and immediately putts.

I play 99% of my rounds alone, mostly on my lunch break. Out of necessity for speed, i often putt with my backpack on, unless I'm in a spot where I need to take it off. When i do take it off, i feel like my consistency suffers. I actually feel and perform better with my pack on. Step up, barely focus, and putt at the basket as a whole. When i set the pack down, focus on a link, etc., i seem to tighten up and overthink it. Anyone else putt with their pack on?

No offense, but who cares if you don't actually play with other peeps? Carry on whatever way you want, but you are setting yourself back if you are trying to get better.

I also don't understand why peeps who always play alone, come and post here. If you want to talk about the game, no better place than on the course with some playing companions.

Last edited:
I mean, I push a cart so...

I had a doubles partner who used four discs; he carried them in his hand. He walked up to the lie with his head down to set his foot and putt before he even looked at the basket. It was like a trigger; plant foot/putt. No hesitation. No aiming. No thinking. He was deadly. He drove everyone in the league crazy putting like that. Everybody tried to get him to slow down and aim. He never did; he was already a good putter and had no reason to change.

Generally speaking, your body is pretty good at aiming at things your eye can see and naturally tossing it there. Most people can take a ball in their hand, throw it up in the air a few feet, and without following the path of the ball move their hand to where the ball will come back down because your eyes see it go up, your brain replaces the missing information of what you can't see, and your hand moves to where your brain has filled in that the ball will come down.

Putting works best (imo) when you can combine 2 things. 1. The naturalness of your body to hit a target. 2. A small amount of analysis (i.e. wind, where you'd like to miss if you do, which link to hit in terms of high/low/left/right, etc).

For a lot of folks, putting with a backpack on, or while not thinking maximizes #1. When they start standing there they tense up. A lot of those folks never even try to get to #2, so they are best served by just putting quickly since it maximizes #1 and they'll never add anything with #2 anyways.

I also see a lot of people who putt quickly make a bunch, and then doink off a random 10 footer, or run the disc 40 feet past the basket when they miss because they didn't consider any other factors than trying to make it.

Best case scenario is that you get good at #2, while finding a way to stay relaxed and natural (which for many people means not being "natural" at all, but simply practicing a form...maybe even an unnatural form...until it BECOMES natural). You still want your body relaxed.

I also don't understand why peeps who always play alone, come and post here. If you want to talk about the game, no better place than on the course with some playing companions.

I play solo rounds a lot and post here a bit, so bite me. I also play with other folks sometimes and chat about frolf.

To OP, there's something to be said for stepping up and putting without overthinking it but you should probably take your backpack off.

My buddy and I are really noted as being 'quick' players, both at putting and otherwise. I'd be surprised if I ever took longer than 10 to 15 seconds from when it was 'my turn'. And that would be when I came across something unexpected. We almost always know as we walk to our lie what the likely disc selection and throw is going to be, so why complicate things?

The drawback for me is tournament play. It really messes with my mojo to wait on somebody who executes a 'routine' for every. single. throw. ...that takes ALL (or more) of their allotted 30 seconds... ...even for every tap-in and tee shot. The four + hour rounds really get to me. Backups on half the holes, sometimes as long as 15 or 20 minutes. I get really tired of that stuff. This is supposed to be fun. :)

I don't and I don't know of anyone who does except for tap-ins. For you, however, the reason you do worse without your backpack on is you haven't practiced/played that way. It throws you off since you are missing the extra weight that you are used to. Well, there's also the focusing on a link..etc that you normally don't do. There's no right or wrong way to putt. There's just what works for you. If there was a right way, we wouldn't have push/spin/spush/turbo putting. So, go with what works for you and gives you the best chance to make the putt.

It could just be a timing thing....I talked with Nathan Queen at a local tournament because I saw he rarely ever used a mini. He said that the time it takes to place a mini and pick up his disc throws off his routine/timing. It also forces him to look away from his line/target and look at the ground. He does use a mini when it gives him better footing, but that is it. So it might be the same for you with bag on putting....you walk up to your disc and putt....no delays, no loss of focus.

Interesting with the mini.

I don't use a mini, but I'm a pretty slow putter. My thing is that I want to be confident. At least with me, moving my lie 9 inches forward almost feels like introducing a weakness. I want to my mindset to be, "I don't care about a couple of inches, I'm going to stuff this putt from wherever."

I only use a lie for footing or for a come back putt when I want to use the disc I just threw.

My buddy and I are really noted as being 'quick' players, both at putting and otherwise. I'd be surprised if I ever took longer than 10 to 15 seconds from when it was 'my turn'. And that would be when I came across something unexpected. We almost always know as we walk to our lie what the likely disc selection and throw is going to be, so why complicate things?

The drawback for me is tournament play. It really messes with my mojo to wait on somebody who executes a 'routine' for every. single. throw. ...that takes ALL (or more) of their allotted 30 seconds... ...even for every tap-in and tee shot. The four + hour rounds really get to me. Backups on half the holes, sometimes as long as 15 or 20 minutes. I get really tired of that stuff. This is supposed to be fun. :)
I play slow as molasses in January and playing casual is actually stressful; always somebody crawling up my back, throwing on me, wanting to play through, hurry, hurry, hurry. You get to your approach shot and people are already on the tee waiting...sorry, dudes. I'm going to miss this putt. Maybe the next one, too. :|

I used to love tournament play; tournament play is where my people are.

My putting routine is that I have no routine. I just step up and putt. It works for me as I don't have time to overthink anything or second guess myself.

No way I can putt outside of about ten feet with my backpack on. It just throws my balance and timing all out of whack.

I quick putt with my Commander bag holding 25 discs consistency up to 10 feet, and further out if no wind. The weight on my non-putting shoulder with the bag slinged on it, seems to help with balancing. The quick putt is I'm left-handed putting with my left leg forward giving a quick peek and ramming it in wanting to hear those chains. I putt that way within C1, I've done it so often it has become my routine and comfort level, and only take the bag off with wind or a death putt wanting a little more focus or adjustment. It also helps me not to think about the putt, and just do it. When I two putt its likely with the bag off, and I feel awkward. But I use the practice baskets bag off. I guess you can say, I'm a mixed bag.

When I started playing it was for the exercise on a fast walk with one disc, and as I became more involved, I just kept the quick putt. With more discs and a bag, I just naturally kept the bag on. I still play quick rounds when solo.

I would tell you, why fix it, when it's not broken.

Sounds like your dream round is a 4-some with you, Nikko, Hammes, and Buhr. :)