• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raffling Tourney entries?

H.R HukkinStuff

Par Member
Just curious as to what y'alls thoughts on this are. There is a big doubles tournament later this summer that sells out within minutes every year. Entry fee for this event is $180 for Open flight teams. Now, to the raffle question. Before that dubs event takes place there is another tournament in the area. It was announced last night that 1 persons entry fee will be raffled off at the earlier event. With that being said, the stipulation is that if you are already signed up and paid up for the dubs event, you won't be eligible for that item in the raffle. Does this seem a little unfair to the people that saved their money and made the effort to sign up before it filled? Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks :thmbup:

Just one team spot? I don't see any problem. Sounds like a fun idea. The only problem is, how many people will be at the preceding event who (1) want to play the doubles event and (2) aren't already entered? Do you run the danger of a raffle that only 6 people care to enter?

No opinion on the question of fairness, however, I would note that raffles fall under the gambling statutes of most states, and as such are regulated in most states, counties, and municipalites, so the organizer(s) would be well advised to ensure they're complying with any and all local and state laws regarding the conduct of raffles, as an anonymous complaint by a disgruntled individual would likely result in a "friendly visit" from a representative of "The Man."

Just one team spot? I don't see any problem. Sounds like a fun idea. The only problem is, how many people will be at the preceding event who (1) want to play the doubles event and (2) aren't already entered? Do you run the danger of a raffle that only 6 people care to enter?

Sort of. Not a team spot, but just 1 persons half of the total fee of their division. As far as the number of people possibly interested are numerous. This particular dubs event is about the biggest tourney in the state every year.

No opinion on the question of fairness, however, I would note that raffles fall under the gambling statutes of most states, and as such are regulated in most states, counties, and municipalites, so the organizer(s) would be well advised to ensure they're complying with any and all local and state laws regarding the conduct of raffles, as an anonymous complaint by a disgruntled individual would likely result in a "friendly visit" from a representative of "The Man."

Yeah, I'm not sure of the laws regarding raffles here. I don't foresee anyone making any kind of official complaints. I'm just wondering why folks that got in to the dubs don't have a chance of at least getting their entry fee back.

As big as the dubs event is, there isn't a need to entice people into buying raffle tickets to get as a way to fill spots. Make sense?

I'm a little confused about exactly what's being raffled. A spot, a pre-paid spot, one person's prepaid spot (who becomes his partner)? Presumably the event will be full, or full except for this one spot, at the time of the raffle.

I'm a little confused about exactly what's being raffled. A spot, a pre-paid spot, one person's prepaid spot (who becomes his partner)? Presumably the event will be full, or full except for this one spot, at the time of the raffle.

They are raffling 1 persons paid for spot. Then yes, that person would have to find a partner (which unless they live under a rock, won't have a problem finding someone who wants to play) and that person would have to pay their half of the entry fee. Yes, the event filled within 30 minutes of opening. This spot I assume will just be added to which ever division they choose.

So, essentially, they're raffling off the final team spot at half cost. Free to player, but his partner has to pay.

I think that's not a bad idea for a fast-filling event. First-come registration for all but one spot, and a raffle for those who can't get in. They lose a bit on a entry, but take some of it in on the raffle.

Perhaps a better deal for the preceding tournament, who might get more players for the chance to get that coveted last spot.

But.....it seems to me that at the preceding event, a good number of the players will already be registered for the team play event. No one who wants to get in, will not register in hopes of winning the raffle. And a good number of players who don't want to play in the team event, for whatever reasons. So it may be a fairly small number remaining who actually want to buy into the raffle---those who tried, but failed, to register in the initial period, who also happen to be at the event where the raffle is held.

Sounds like the raffle runners are hurting their profits. If they would refund a entry fee of someone who is already signed up they could get a lot more entries into their raffle thus increasing the profit made from that raffle. The way they are doing it sounds fair and if it's all laid out ahead of time I have no issues with it. But I think they are hurting themselves by doing it that way.

I bet everyone would participate in the raffle if the prize was a comped registration fee.

I bet everyone would participate in the raffle if the prize was a comped registration fee.

If I read it right, those who are already registered would be ineligible. And the doubles tournament would already be full, less this one spot. So right there are a lot of people who would not participate.