• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raining and 51 degrees, I won't play in this, does anybody?

Cold rainy days are probably my least favorite for playing, but that doesn't mean I'm not out playing in it anyway.

I don't mind rain...what I hate is MUD.

Fat people and MUD do NOT mix...it's like walking in Quicksand.
LoL!
Yes, mud sucks, especially when it likes to hold onto shoes.
Some otherwise great courses play really crappy after a hard rain.

Cold I don't mind, and rain I don't mind. Cold rain sucks worse than snow. I'll still play in it though.
It's that combo of damp air and lower temps that just chills you to the bone and makes it impossible to stay comfortable. Even if your fingers aren't quite numb, you really can't get good feel for you putter in your hand and nothing seems to work well. I just don't enjoy it.

Last edited:
Last Sunday I played a mini in Houston during which an estimated 3-5 inches of rain fell. It was both awesome and really annoying. Awesome to be out discing, and annoying to be completely drenched. My last putt was out of a flash "pond" that was knee deep. Oh and I won Intermediate.

If you live in Washington State, that's damn near t-shirt weather my friend. hah.

51 is fine by me.. really anything is fine.. the cold doesnt bother me.. the rain on the other hand i dont like.. if im already playing and it starts raining or im on the way to play and it starts i will play on but if i wake up and its pouring rain out i prob wont be heading to the course anytime soon. At the SC Doubles last year there was rain almost up to my knees in parts of the course out at chattooga belle farm.. did suck but was kinda fun and everyone has to deal with it so what can you do :)

Last edited:
im in washington state right now and this seems to be the weather all day every day at the moment... caught some "sunshine" on the weekend though.

Yes, I have played in 30mph+ winds and 2 feet of snow. 50 degrees and rain isn't the worst I have seen.

51 is fine by me.. really anything is fine.. the cold doesnt bother me.. the rain on the other hand i dont like.. if im already playing and it starts raining or im on the way to play and it starts i will play on but if i wake up and its pouring rain out i prob wont be heading to the course anytime soon.

:thmbup:

Much like the guys from Washington state that have posted already, living in Vancouver, BC I probably wouldn't play very much if I didn't play in the rain.

I embrace the conditions as they are given to me. Rain, snow, wind...bring it on! I like the challenge. My three most memorable rounds of DG actually came with one of those conditions in play.

I play ball golf in anything as well, and the most fun I have ever had on a golf course was in a tournament when it rained 3" while we were on the course playing. I wasn't very good at that time, but because I embraced the rain, I actually came in 4th in that tournament. The others were complaining while I was having a blast.

95F in the Summer and 20F in the Winter? No thanks.

It is actually quite awesome. We just had a stretch of 10 days to start October that was sunny and 65-70. Fifty and sunny-partly sunny is nice for climbing big ski-hill courses.

it's michigan, it's what we do.

Damn right!

I'd probably be out there, most of the time I'd rather be playing than not.

Agreed, but rain blows. Some scattered drizzle is cooling in the summer, but unwelcome any other time.

I have really come to appreciate winter playing. Any day that is cool for cross country skiing is cool for discin'. And some of those days are Fonzie cool. :thmbup:

That's damn near tropical weather. I played in that weather this weekend. All weekend long. Oh yeah, and add wind 15-25, with gusts over 50.

There is no bad weather, just weather. But 51 and raining is pretty sweet and I'd take that over 80+ and humid.

In fact I can't wait for some snow.

When I was young and indestructible, weather of any sort didn't slow me down at all! Now that I'm a little older, I try to not play in bad weather, unless in a tournament, of course.

By choice, not really. But on a league night or tournament, you do what you gotta do.

Played in a women's disc golf tournament at Flip City this past Saturday, then a mixed doubles on Sunday. Both days the weather started out dreary and threatening to rain. Everyone was prepared, but both days turned partly cloudy/mostly sunny. Not so bad, as long as you don't mind 35-40mph wind gusts. :\

Latest posts