• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Random Doubles Rules?

jdizzle3id

I play a random doubles league every week and there always seems to be one guy without a partner. I was wondering if there is some generally accepted rule as to how many shots he gets per hole. We play with one mulligan per hole and two putts outside of 30 feet (I think). I get confused about the rules when someone drives it within 30 ft. Some people seem to think you don't get a second putt and some people seem to think you do as long as you count it as your mulligan for that hole. Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

The way I've seen it played locally is if they cough up another ante, they get 2 shots for everything, just like if they had a partner. If they don't cough up another entry fee, they get 1 mulligan per hole, period.

Some folks glady cough up the extra entry fee because they're much better than 80% of the partners they could get.

jdizzle3id said:
I play a random doubles league every week and there always seems to be one guy without a partner. I was wondering if there is some generally accepted rule as to how many shots he gets per hole. We play with one mulligan per hole and two putts outside of 30 feet (I think). I get confused about the rules when someone drives it within 30 ft. Some people seem to think you don't get a second putt and some people seem to think you do as long as you count it as your mulligan for that hole. Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

this topic just got discussed here (go forward a few posts to see more related posts):

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=159839#p159839

black udder said:
The way I've seen it played locally is if they cough up another ante, they get 2 shots for everything, just like if they had a partner. If they don't cough up another entry fee, they get 1 mulligan per hole, period.

Some folks glady cough up the extra entry fee because they're much better than 80% of the partners they could get.
this Is how ours works. Pay two entry fees and get 2 throws on each shot. Pay once and you get just one extra throw per hole

Our doubles league just gives the odd man an extra throw per hole. no option to double up

the way we play at the local league is the odd man can get an extra shot every other shot but it does start over every hole so you can take two putts and the very next shot take 2 drives

black udder said:

This is how we roll, also.

At Sylmar we typically say you can either mulligan your drive or get two putts at it on each hole. This way it's more of a strategic decision.

Animix said:
At Sylmar we typically say you can either mulligan your drive or get two putts at it on each hole. This way it's more of a strategic decision.

Do you have to call your option before or after you drive?

Traditionally, we have just given one extra shot per hole. There's a huge advantage to throwing an extra shot right after you've thrown one from the same spot...

Recently we've been splitting players into A and B players and if the B player is the unpaired player we've given them an extra shot on every throw. We also allow any player to opt out of the possibility of playing solo.

Cali - One extra shot per hole.
Connecticut - One extra shot per hole, if you don't use your extra shot you can bank it for future use. This opion is an additional buy in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, someone playing connecticut could take up to 18 teeshots at one hole?

So that's why there are so many aces at Wick :lol: j/k

Kenja said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, someone playing connecticut could take up to 18 teeshots at one hole?

So that's why there are so many aces at Wick :lol: j/k

Yeah that is true. But we always start them on hole 4 so you can't just take 18 ace runs. But you can bank em up till you get to 15.

Latest posts