• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rangefinders during sanctioned play

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
I have played three sanctioned tournaments this year and finally played with rangefinder guy over the weekend. I did not have a problem with it until I realized the guy was not playing for placements on par 4s and par 5s and then he started shooting distances on every shot that was less than 200'. Eventually someone mentioned what disc he threw the prior day practicing which was staggering. I understand using rangefinders occasionally especially if you play a course blind but if you play a practice round, take a notebook or caddy book and make notes during that round. This is what golfers have done for years due to pace of play and etiquette.

The most annoying is when they feel they need to measure everyone else's shot as well and announce it.

"No, you are not cool because you have a range finder."

Pace of play is covered in the rules. I have way less issues with rangefinders, than I do with cell phone guy or earbud guy that cannot hear anything that is going on.

I am more interested in my game than anyone's, I don't care what you do while playing, within the constraints of the rules.

I have played three sanctioned tournaments this year and finally played with rangefinder guy over the weekend. I did not have a problem with it until I realized the guy was not playing for placements on par 4s and par 5s and then he started shooting distances on every shot that was less than 200'. Eventually someone mentioned what disc he threw the prior day practicing which was staggering. I understand using rangefinders occasionally especially if you play a course blind but if you play a practice round, take a notebook or caddy book and make notes during that round. This is what golfers have done for years due to pace of play and etiquette.

To be clear, golfers have NOT done this for years due to pace of play and etiquette...they did it because rangefinders were illegal during competitive rounds.

I haven't played a tourney in a few years. Range finder guy sounds really obnoxious (or maybe obnoxious guys tend to buy rangefinders?).

How much do you think Bushnell sponsorship dollars affect rangefinder legality for PDGA competition?

I haven't played a tourney in a few years. Range finder guy sounds really obnoxious (or maybe obnoxious guys tend to buy rangefinders?).

How much do you think Bushnell sponsorship dollars affect rangefinder legality for PDGA competition?

Probably slightly less than the idea that "Bushnell is sponsoring us... look World! We are legit!"

I got a rangefinder in April as a Birthday gift. It's in my bag and I always forget it's even there. I think I've used it twice..lol. Sure they're a nice little gadget but if you've been playing for years like most of us on here it's truly of little use while actually playing a round. They are great for setting up courses and for measuring out distance for field practice though. But I just use my eyes and brain and throw the disc that will get me to the basket. It's worked okay thus far. Most of the time anyway.

I've had a rangefinder for a year or so. I'm a course bagger, so 75% or more of my play on any layout is for the first time. I probably pull it out most often on 4's and 5's. It's certainly not often, but I do find it to be a big benefit on wide open holes and especially on those holes where there isn't something behind the green. I'm often amazed in those situations at how badly my lizard brain works. I almost always underestimate the distance.

The other big use case is for holes with no signage...uDisc hole distances can be crazily wrong....

I use a rangefinder to spot the area where I can reach. My max distance is 250 feet and I am a poor judge of distance....so if I can't easily tell how far out 250 is, I'll use a rangefinder to find that distance. I don't care what the actual distance to the basket is....if the tee sign says 508 feet, for me that's good enough - I can't reach it. I want to know where is the spot that I can reach...

They were legal before the Bushnell sponsorship was a twinkle in anyone's eye. The reason measuring devices were made legal was so that the cell phone in almost everyone's pocket would not need to be banned (because cell phones have GPS which could be used to measure distances).

But, yeah, I think the sponsorship would be a hurdle to overcome to make rangefinders illegal now.

I bought one as a toy. I don't use it a ton, but it has made disc golf a lot more fun for me. I can walk up to a shot and think it is a full Teebird shot for me and be spot on. However, when the penalty for guessing wrong is a lost disc deep, I struggle with committing to the shot. So a lot of times I might grab a Roc to be safe or simply not throw my Teebird long enough and come up 50+ feet short. Quick glance with the range finder to confirm that trouble is out of my range and I can throw with confidence.

edit: ...and it really doesn't impact my pace of play at all. Instead of hemming and hawing over Roc vs Teebird for 10 or 15 seconds, I spend 10 or 15 second grabbing and using my rangefinder.

That's quite a judgement based on your entire lack of experience with this issue and just reading one random post, lol.

I sold my rangefinder to one of my buddies and he won the next two tournies he played in. He chalked it up partly to more accurate disc selection based on distance.

As long as players aren't going over 30 seconds I have no problem. I however would have a problem with the dude being overly helpful and giving the rest of the card their distance.

As long as players aren't going over 30 seconds I have no problem. I however would have a problem with the dude being overly helpful and giving the rest of the card their distance.

I wouldn't listen to that dude anyways. Whose to say he wouldn't be purposely 75' off just to screw you?

I have told multiple people that if I want to know the distance I will ask- I would much rather my lizard brain do the measuring in most cases.

Yup, channel that inner Lizard King. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't listen to that dude anyways. Whose to say he wouldn't be purposely 75' off just to screw you?

The Competition Manual.

All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be.

Where I play, we use a lot of elevation, so even accurate distance is deceiving. So, rangefind away, but I caution you that all 295s are not created equal.

That's quite a judgement based on your entire lack of experience with this issue and just reading one random post, lol.

I sold my rangefinder to one of my buddies and he won the next two tournies he played in. He chalked it up partly to more accurate disc selection based on distance.

Lol, yep. My first statement gave my opinion and why it's not worth much.

Latest posts