• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ranger vs. Spinal Tap

Which backpack bag do you like better? Why?

• Dynamic Discs Ranger

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Voodoo Spinal Tap

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ranger b/c it's known to have less problems. If Voodoo fixed the problems with the Spinal Tap then I'd say go with the Spinal Tap for the extra storage capacity. I'm pretty sure the Ranger is cheaper & isn't known for having problems so the Ranger is the safe bet.

My brother owns a Ranger, I own a Spinal Tap.

Mine holds more discs, and probably more stuff, his is more compact and lighter. I like the straps on the spinal tap better than the ranger, but I like the top compartment of the ranger. I think the spinal tap is more comfortable, and holds more stuff for those long tournament rounds.

I prefer the Spinal Tap, it has better drink holders and more storage. Fits better on my back, and it comes in purple. Also the rainfly is pretty awesome.

voodoo will get the issues fixed. i have the ranger. here is my take.

ranger is more for a casual golfer who carries a lot of discs and stuff to the course. only one bottle holder and one spot for either a stool or an umbrella not both. The pockets are well thought out and its a nice material, definately not on par with voodoo or grip in materials but i think it will hold up to outr uses. the ranger is way lighter than the voodoo.

voodoo is considerable bigger both in disc capacity and storage. the materials are top notch. its a big bag and will carry everything a tourney player needs. stool umbrella discs extra stuff etc etc.

i love my ranger i actually like the layout more than the grip i had previous. it carries well. looks great.

On the Ranger, could can use the stool 'pocket' as an extra water bottle/drink carrier. Not to mention the top section and all of its storage.

I feel like the Ranger fits people with slender frames/shoulders better. The Grip, Voodo, and others are simply too bulbous to be comfy.

I didn't vote, as I don't know anyone with the Voodoo, and have only had my Ranger for a week.

I own a Spinal Tap, but I feel it is way too heavy for me. I do play tourneys, but I dont feel the need to carry a weeks supply of food and clothes for a 3 hours round of golf. Straps feel a bit harsh when I play shirtless. And I feel the 'main' compartment under the putter pocket is very poorly designed...the way it slopes down into an abyss and makes all your items cluttered, simultaneously making putters harder to get in and out... What other "issues" is the Spinal Tap having? I havent read up on it much since mine arrived but I havent experienced any defects that I know of.

Two of my good buddies have Rangers, and I must say they are outrageously comfortable. But im not too keen on the way the only storage is a big bucket on top, and I dont like side putter pockets. And I dont like what DD charges you for Aldi-brand materials.

Couple weeks after I got my Spinal Tap, my buddy had to quit the game and gave me his Grip for free. I told him I planned on selling it within a week and he didnt mind. There was a super muddy tourney day and didnt want to fuk up my Spinal Tap so I transferred my stuff into the Grip, and its been my bag ever since. I always hated on Grip because everybody has one...well now I know why. Enough storage, comfortable, and manageable.

So if I have to vote between a Spinal Tap or a Ranger, ill vote Grip lol

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges to me. Can't compare them they seem so very different.

I can somewhat agree with this.

Spinal Tap was my vote. More disc storage, more non disc storage and better materials. The main thing DD has going for them is a reputable bag maker making there bags. VDG had problems with the first run but it wasn't because they were bad designs, it's because there was flaws in the manufacturing process. Can't speak on DDs warranty, but VDG fixed the problems for me and sent it back within a week.

Also not a huge fan of how the Ranger looks.

I voted DD Ranger b/c I just got one and it is serving me very well. I only carry 14 discs and it provides plenty of non-disc storage. I've never used a Spinal Tap but I've seen a couple at some tournaments. They are just way too big in my opinion. I'm 6'1/160lbs and have no desire to carry 20+ discs. I guess it depends on your build and needs out on the course.

spinal tap
better material, and every ranger i have seen in person leans without anything in them. they look poorly built and like in 1-2 years you will need/want to replace it. i dont like the look of either but the voodoo should last longer and provide more years of enjoyment.

I agree the ranger is cheaper materials, but mine sits flat. They are 2 different bags. The ranger is for a casual disc golfer. The voodoo is for a tourney player that needs everything with them.

For a big guy the spinal tap is perfect. I'm 6'1 260 and have never carried a more comfortable bag. The ranger feels like a cooler is strapped to my back. The bags are really in two different classes honestly. The ranger looks fine for casual guys but I dont see it taking much of a beating long term.

spinal tap
better material, and every ranger i have seen in person leans without anything in them. they look poorly built and like in 1-2 years you will need/want to replace it. i dont like the look of either but the voodoo should last longer and provide more years of enjoyment.

I haven't seen another Ranger out in the wild. Mine is really firm and sits flat without issue. I'm sure the Spinal Tap is made of much stronger material but I would not say that the Ranger was poorly built at all. I used my Innova Deluxe bag for several years and it barely had any serious wear on it & I beat it up. When I saw it new for $140 I was really happy. It was a great alternative to a $250 bomb-proof Grip or Voodoo.