• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Rate Disc Golf companies from first to worst.

If all the disc golf companies were wiped off the face of the earth with a giant cotton ball and deluge of acetone except one, let that one be Innova.

1 Innova- they have the best molds and they are comfortable because i have thrown them alot and lets face it their discs are the bench mark for all other discs.
2 Gateway- Great putters and i love the inconsistency of their plastic.
3 Discmania- I freaking love the PD.
4 DD- they have a lot of good discs that are very similar to discs i currently throw and the plastic is good.
5 Latitude- I love the trident but other than that most of their drivers are flippy and glidey and thats not my thing.
6 Discraft- I would assume they are some good discs, the buzzz is super popular but for some reason their discs never stayed in my bag.

My buddy pre-ordered a Prometheus. He was super excited to get it and I almost ordered one too but (thankfully) decided to try his first. I mean a revolutionary disc doesn't come along every day.

He got it and we spent some time after work doing some field work with it.

I liked the plastic which is a good thing because there was a ton of extra plastic all around the disc. He trimmed it down and we threw it some more. I've never seen a disc fade and burn before.

We thought something was wrong with the disc. It was very floppy too. My friend actually ordered a second one thinking there must have been some mistake.

Yeah, the mistake was ordering the first one. Second one was exactly the same as the first.

Well, you know what they say about opinions and *******s.

Everyone said get a Teebird - It was super, super overstable. It's a champ and a year later with a lot of play it's still almost just as overstable.

Everyone said get a Roc - I bought a DX Roc and hated the plastic. Still used it to give it a try and it beat into a perfect straight flyer with a little fade at the end. DX plastic feels fantastic when it's beat in. I loved it. For about a month and then it started to turn over easily. A friend explained DX doesn't last long. I needed to buy another one and rotate them. No thank you.

Everyone said get a Destroyer - Granted I don't have the arm for that high a speed of disc so I tried a friends first. He had a 150 Blizzard Destroyer. I threw it and few times and got some good results. Nice, I thought so I bought one in the same weight and plastic. Most overstable meathook disc I've every thrown. (if you don't count the Prometheus)

There's only so many times a consumer will try a company and get bad to less than ideal results and keep coming back for more.

I did use a Blizzard Boss for a while that was ok but had other discs that worked better for me. And I do carry a 150 Star Mamba for giant turnovers that I like although my F7 has been taking shots from it lately.

Then they came out with the Atlas and the colors and compass points seemed gimmicky to me. Then they came out with the Nova which was even worse.

Hey, I'm a consumer. That's been my experience. That's my opinion.

Not my fault you chose the wrong Teebird and the wrong Roc.

I think you got to give it to Innova, even if you have issues with them, by virtue of longevity, number of disc choices, plastic options, specific molds that are the gold standard in those slots (something like Aviar, Roc, Teebird, Destroyer), and just being a huge part of the Disc Golf community for many, many years.

After that, it is more about personal preferences and whether you group together companies who use the same plastic manufacturer. I'm not going to group them together. I don't have a ton of experience, but I have bought a LOT of discs over the last 3 years, since I started playing. So my list would be:

1. Innova
2. Lat64 (love the Pure, Vision and have liked other molds I don't carry aymore as well. I love their plastic in Westide and DD discs too, so they get Kudos for that).
3. Discraft - Loving my Flash. Used the Buzzz for a long time, but I am trying other Mids right now because the last 3 Buzzes I got didn't perform like the one I loved before that. I've also enjoyed the XL, XS, Magnet and other Discs of theirs in the past.
4. MVP - Love my Volt. Ion was my putter for a long time until I fell for the Pure. All their Fairway Drivers I love the release and the feel of the plastic. I'm not a big fan of their Mids though, never got into the Axis or Tangents I got.
5. DGA - A lot of people don't like them for some reason, but they sponsor some local Pros in the Santa Cruz area, and as such, are common here. I picked up on a lot of their molds. Breaker, Squall and AfterShock are all awesome Discs in my bag right now.
6. Dynamic Discs - I like a lot of their Molds, but I typically like something else a little bit better. e.g. I really like the Trespass, but I'm finding I turn it over unpredicatably pretty often, and I prefer my flippy Destroyer paired with my still-overstable eco-start destroyer.
7. Westside - Loving my Warship. Not a big fan of my Stag. Want to try more. They use Lat64 plastic which is always good IMO. I threw a Sword once, but was suffering from the side effects of some medication that caused short term memory loss right after throwing it. So I only got one throw :p
9 Gateway - I like the Wizard, but I liked the Ion more, and now the Pure best. Plus, I like this old hippy video of Nikko when they apparently sponsored him. See below.

I still have to try a bunch of the others. Prodigy, Millennium (Quasar), etc. So many choices, so little time!!! *shakesfist*

1. Discraft- Once I started playing I got a Buzz. A few years later, after trying various other brands of mid ranges I have settled on Discraft for all my mid ranges.

2. MVP- This is solely for the Anode. Holds whatever line I put it on, and instantly changed my putting game once I started using it. Like the other discs MVP makes, however aside from the putters I just never felt like I could power down the MVP discs and have them fly like I want.

3. Westside, Latitude-I really like the glide the fairways and distance drivers have from these companies. Until my form get better I need the glide to get the distance I want.

3. Innova, Millennium- I want to give Innova a higher rating on my list, but I have never kept anything from them permanently in my bag. Same with Millennium. Discs from the companies above always replace whatever I had.

4. Prodigy, DD, Discmania, others- I have not been able to try out any of these companies discs. I do want to try DD and Discmania sometime. Others is for the possibility in the future for discs I may want. Prodigy is getting another trial run, I currently have a PA1 in my bag to try. I love the feel of their plastic, but the discs I have tried have not flown as described.

5. Gateway, Vibram, Quest- I have tried these companies, I just have not had any success from trying these companies. Gateway has some decent discs, but the consensus is correct. The consistency is not there, every disc you pick up will be different and finding a duplicate for one you like is almost impossible. Quest had two decent discs Scream and inferno. But they aren't as good as newer drivers available from other companies. Vibram has a unique niche in the market, and I believe they will continue to have success. But, the discs fly like bricks for me and I need some glide for my newbie technique.

Surprised so many people are down on Vibram in this thread. My only beef with them is that they need more discs.

My only beef is their rubber belongs on my shoes not in my discs. I can't get over the odd feel of that material for a disc so I just can't use them. I tried but couldn't make it work. That was a putter though. I have wanted to try the unlace so if anyone has one to trade go ahead and give me a PM. I'll send you something for it. :thmbup:

I should probably also explain that I use the Westside Warship as a fairway not a mid range. I do not like the way it flies powered down, but it has no equal as a hyzer flip tunnel shot disc for me. I would say it's just like a Leopard for me, but the tournament plastic is oh so much better than anything from Innova.

Not my fault you chose the wrong Teebird and the wrong Roc.

I really love the Yeti Pro Aviar. If I didn't love my Anode so much it would probably be my putter of choice. And I'm a big fan of Paul McBeth. And I respect the company for what they've done for the sport.

I don't have the money to keep buying the same disc until I get one that does what it's supposed to do.

Well, you know what they say about opinions and *******s.

Everyone said get a Teebird - It was super, super overstable. It's a champ and a year later with a lot of play it's still almost just as overstable.

Everyone said get a Roc - I bought a DX Roc and hated the plastic. Still used it to give it a try and it beat into a perfect straight flyer with a little fade at the end. DX plastic feels fantastic when it's beat in. I loved it. For about a month and then it started to turn over easily. A friend explained DX doesn't last long. I needed to buy another one and rotate them. No thank you.

Everyone said get a Destroyer - Granted I don't have the arm for that high a speed of disc so I tried a friends first. He had a 150 Blizzard Destroyer. I threw it and few times and got some good results. Nice, I thought so I bought one in the same weight and plastic. Most overstable meathook disc I've every thrown. (if you don't count the Prometheus)

There's only so many times a consumer will try a company and get bad to less than ideal results and keep coming back for more.

I did use a Blizzard Boss for a while that was ok but had other discs that worked better for me. And I do carry a 150 Star Mamba for giant turnovers that I like although my F7 has been taking shots from it lately.

Then they came out with the Atlas and the colors and compass points seemed gimmicky to me. Then they came out with the Nova which was even worse.

Hey, I'm a consumer. That's been my experience. That's my opinion.

Sounds like you need to take a look at how you are throwing. Don't let pride get in the way, take the time and do it right. Look up the definition of down discing and follow it. Negative results are pretty much impossible. You'll see discs differently afterwards. Throwing 150 stuff is more bad than good. I'm no doctor, but I did stay at a holiday express last night.

1. Westside/Lat/DD - fury, sword, vision, river, mace, pure, spike, judge, etc! Some many PRETTY, good flying discs, in great feeling plastic.
2. Prodigy - great feel of plastic, best in wet after towelled off, D2, F3, F7, M4, Pa4 all great. Will admit i've had the most consistency issues with unintended flight stability (have had D1's aandD3's all over the scale)
3. Discraft - buzzz, wasp, nuke, surge, flash, comet, zone all awesome molds.
4. Innova - have had consistency issues here too, but lots of plastic types and choices. Rhyno, shark3, tern.
5. Legacy - pretty, some okay molds, just nothing i'm super crazy about.
6. Millenium - just for a flat sjls. Favorite disc for a long time.
7. Vibram - love the vp and ridge. Just bad in the wet, and dont wipe down as well.

Sounds like you need to take a look at how you are throwing. Don't let pride get in the way, take the time and do it right. Look up the definition of down discing and follow it. Negative results are pretty much impossible. You'll see discs differently afterwards. Throwing 150 stuff is more bad than good. I'm no doctor, but I did stay at a holiday express last night.

I openly admit I throw some 150 discs. No pride here. :D

Discing down probably would help me learn discs more throughly but I enjoy trying different discs and having a lot of options. It's part of the fun.

I've had none of the negative results with Discraft, MVP, Latitude, etc. that I've had with Innova except for a 2nd Surge i bought that was crazy overstable. Innova has just been really hit and miss for me. They're obviously make a huge range of disc and a lot of people enjoy them. That's fine but I like throwing my MVP for the same reason others like throwing Innova. It works for them.

I just have not had good luck with them and I certainly don't need any more molds in my bag.

Latest posts