• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings and Divisions

Everyone realizes, of course, that if there were no financial rewards in amateur divisions this problem wouldn't exist.

What about non-current players? Their rating is hidden on the pdga website. Do TDs get special permission to see the player's rating, or do they have to go through the player's history?

Sure seems like a lot of time & effort by the TD to check out every player with out a current rating.

What about non-current players? Their rating is hidden on the pdga website. Do TDs get special permission to see the player's rating, or do they have to go through the player's history?

Sure seems like a lot of time & effort by the TD to check out every player with out a current rating.

Yes, TDs have access to any player's rating, current or not.

The plus with PDGA events is that you don't necessarily have to wait for official ratings to be calculated to be able to assess a new member or non-member's division. Unofficial ratings for an otherwise unrated player are enough to assign him to an appropriate division in future events. Or at the very least, prevent the player from entering a division for which he's greatly over-qualified.

Is this easier to see for a TD than it is for a normal member? With larger events I could see looking up past rounds & their unofficial ratings could be a PITA with a handful of unrated players. I know when I was checking stats on others in rec & int (deciding what division to play based on prior results at courses I knew) it was time consuming.

Is this easier to see for a TD than it is for a normal member? With larger events I could see looking up past rounds & their unofficial ratings could be a PITA with a handful of unrated players. I know when I was checking stats on others in rec & int (deciding what division to play based on prior results at courses I knew) it was time consuming.

No, not easier for a TD. My point was that a player doesn't have to sit around and wait for a tournament and his rating to become official to have a fair idea of what it will be. He can find the unofficial ratings for the event(s) he's played and go from there.

There's no reason that a TD would need or want to do this for every unrated player to enter his event. The only reason to do it would be if there was a question about a particular player.

If, for example, there's a local player known to the TD or to other players who is signed up for or intending to sign up for a division lower than they think he should be in, then research is called for (if there's any events to research). But you still have to know what events to look at since there are no profile pages for non-members that conveniently catalog their events.