• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Spike1

Eagle Member
I'm not really sure why, but I really like lids! ...both for putts and approaches. Maybe it's because they usually fly straight at slow speed, or because you can throw hard and high and just watch them float slowly for a long while. It's a thing of beauty to see these fly!

Please tell me your views about the lids you've thown! Which have been good for you and which haven't? Do you use them mostly for putting or approaches?

I had a Piranah once, it was advertized as a "putt into the wind disc" :? :? :?

I hate lids. They feel funny in the hand, and they don't necessarily stop and drop they way people claim they do!

I can't help to think that lids in general are slightly underrated for discgolf, but I guess it depends on which kind of courses you use to play at. They are no good for windy days at open fields, but apart from that… close to the basket, in the woods or when you're stuck in a bush with limited space for your arm movement, I think lids are quite useful and can make difficult throws easier. At the moment I use X Putt'r a lot, for putts and approaches, but it has become quite deformed and very understable. Thinking of trying something else.

Danforth said:
I had a Piranah once, it was advertized as a "putt into the wind disc" :? :? :?
It's a shame that the Piranha is out of production. Last summer I saw a top pro player doing some really impressive and controlled anny-drives with his black Piranha. It made me want one as well :)

Round here, pros Tom Kim, Bryan Gawler, & John Biscoe still rock the Piranha. Gawler hounds me to sell him my supersoft one every time I see him.

veganray said:
Round here, pros Tom Kim, Bryan Gawler, & John Biscoe still rock the Piranha. Gawler hounds me to sell him my supersoft one every time I see him.

Newer pro, Shawn Johnson also uses piranha's me thinks.

Dub (Tom Kim) also takes care of alot of upshots with zephyrs.

Big Weekend said:
I love big discs and carry a Fastback for approaches, although the Sonic is my favorite "golf" disc.
Now we're talking REAL lids :D Isn't Sonic a fastback too?

The mother of all lid events just happened here last weekend, the 34th Annual Virginia States Frisbee Tournament. Tons (161, to be exact) of ancient-skool Frisbee players, including world champs, distance record holders, and players with 2-digit PDGA #s converged on Pratt Park in Fredericksburg, VA. The course was peppered with Ultrastars, Fastbacks, Apples, 40s, 100s, 71s, and a lot of other weird, non-beveled-edged discs that I had never seen before. (One was a Wham-o with the diameter & heft of an ultimate lid, but the shape of a Fastback.)

Golf plastic was used, as well, but those Frisbee legends could really make those lids fly with a majestic beauty that no beveled-edged disc can ever match.

Hell, I love lids. I like rattlers, zephyrs, gophers, pirhanas, polecats, you name it. I haven't carried any in a while, but it is always nice to have some for warmup catch. Polecats used to be my go to out of trouble disc. When I was stuck in the brush with no movement available, a quick flick with the polecat would rescue me.

Y'all know I'm in the club.
The 150 Polecat is my primary putter.
I love the lid style discs because they are so finesse-able, glidey, and retrocool.

I like Super Classing with my Ultrastars, too. I need to try that Wham-O heavyweight 200 gram Ultrastar lookin' thingy; that thing looks boss.

Spike said:
Big Weekend said:
I love big discs and carry a Fastback for approaches, although the Sonic is my favorite "golf" disc.
Now we're talking REAL lids :D Isn't Sonic a fastback too?

I've always considered my Fastback(Superhero) a lid, but the Sonic is a smaller diameter I believe, and a hell of alot heavier.