• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Thread Resurrection !

I've been using a Super Puppy off and on during this year. I thought it was a Birdie. Went golfin with a friend and he lent it to another friend , and somehow I ended up with it. I figured out it wasn't a Birdie when I realised the Birdie has a Thumbtrack , and mine didn't . A Bit of Googling and I found out it was a Super Puppy. Has the Grateful Dead Skeleton and Roses graphic.

I dig it quite a bit. I typically just use it for putting. I love how it floats and just takes forever to get to the basket. Oops, I missed. Ah, no big deal, the Lid is only a few feet away. :D

Lovin' Lids as putters. Just ordered my bro in law a 164g blue Rattler for a Christmas gift. He currently has an Innova XD and is constantly struggling with it. Hopefully he'll like the Rattler as much as I like the Super Puppy.

Any advice on a Lid that flies like a brick ? I would like to try some other Lids, but am interested in trying one that has minimal/no fade and not much glide. Trying to keep from over throwing the basket. I typically straddle putt (I think) . Basically I throw big rainbows shots, LOL.

I've got a bid in on a 175g Birdie , so that might fit the bill, if I win it. IDK.

Thanks.

dgdave said:

Where is the "skip track" button, I think the disc is scratched. . . . . :wink:

Is that a serious answer to my question ?

BTW , I won the Birdie, it's a 175g.

I have a Champ Birdie that has very little glide compared to the Polecats I regularly carry. I haven't tried any other plastic, but one in Champ should fit the bill if you can find one.

I got a light DX Birdie to maximize the glide but the light weight also helps to reduce gyroscopics and start the fade early. Is it true also of the heavy ones? The light ones veer off course at longer ranges and still blow by far despite being tilted thanks to the good glide at such a low weight. IIRC mine is a 150.

Heavy piranhas and gophers in 145ish.

Piranhas for wind, overstable, and rips. Gopher for true flight. And the stamps are the 2 best ever.

Ebay , $45 for a Gopher, $90 for a Piranha.

No thanks. No disc is worth that much to me, not even if I aced every hole. What fun would that be ?

So in the last week or so I ordered and received

1) 148g Aero
2) 164g Rattler
3) 175g Birdie

While the Aero certainly isn't a Lid, it is somewhat Lid like, being very tall. The Rattler is very reminiscent of a regular catch frisbee , and the Birdie is similar , but much thicker edged.

I bought the Rattler for my bro in law, he doesn't have any Lids yet and struggles putting with his XD . Aero is a learning disc for my daughter, and the Birdie is for me to try in comparison to my Super Puppy.

Unfortunately, it's been 20*F lately, with 6" of snow on the ground, so I'll have to reserve judgement until the weather clears up a bit. :(

I search Google and Epay. You can find deals either way. I'm just so broke currently that it is time sensitive as to when I can bid/buy.

So I played a round with my new to me Birdie. Is a DX 175g used disc that is in great shape. Love it. After one round of playing with it , it has replaced my Super Puppy. Like it much better. A few holes I threw both. Almost every time I threw both I did better with the Birdie . The couple times it didn't do better it was equal to the Super Puppy.

My bro in law played his first round today with a Rattler that I bought him for Christmas. He used to use an XD. He liked the Rattler alot. Was consistently hitting the chains/basket , and hitting more putts than normal.

I bought my nephew a Polecat , but it won't be here for a few more days.