• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RDG Carnivore: 12, 5, - 1, 3 (New Mold!)

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
I am so excited to share that we have a new Distance mold dropping in the next few weeks.

The Carnivore (new mold, not same as our initial release) fits into the quintessential workhorse slot with the Destroyers of the world.

12, 5, - 1, 3

This disc provides a perfect shape, reliable flights and should be readily available in lower weights.

I am achieving 400 ft shots on flat ground that are flexing out and fading nicely at the finish.

Glide is definitely apparent but so is wind resistance. This is definitely a mold capable of FH and BH lines.

Oh and I was elated to recycle one the best stamps ever in the Tyrant and turn it into our Carnivore stamp!
IMG_1461.jpg20230901_155546~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20230901_155546~2.jpg
    20230901_155546~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
<Attempting to contain excitement. Also trying to decide what to call his proto carnivores. Probably just going to have to call them RDG stamped Blurrs. I think that one will continue living in the bag as a wind fighting step up from the Chameleon, or maybe there wont be a gap between the tyrant and new carnivore... The new carnivore would then be booting my Ballista Pros and old carnivores...

It looks nice. If you can make some glow flavored ones that glow as bright and as long as mvp eclipse plastic I'll buy 10 right now for 20 dollars a piece.
Gateway is not quite to the mvp gold standard but definitely has been one of the more worthwile glow blends for a good while.

Gateway is not quite to the mvp gold standard but definitely has been one of the more worthwile glow blends for a good while.
I will literally throw money at them to add more glow powder to the mix. Run some crystal clear blend with way more glow powder than seems right then add a little more and that will be the easiest sale they'll ever make. If they're even half as good as a destroyer they could basically corner the glow distance driver market.

Innova glow: terrible, irritating beyond measure, lasts long enough to think you'll find your disc but goes dim almost immediately after release.

Kastaplast glow: long lasting but mediocre brightness and varies drastically from run to run, some are absolute trash.

Discraft glow: the worst of them all, glows just enough in pitch black to not be blatant false advertising.

Mvp glow: the best, the hangup though is they don't make any good glow distance drivers.

There's a big ol void in the market right now for a glow destroyer type disc that actually glows well.

Super exited for these, should be a ton of fun to throw stinking hard!

I could see these being great in Amber, Cobalt or some sort of superglow as well.

Very cool, always love to see RDG expanding their lineup. Far too fast for me, but I think this mold could be especially popular here in the forums and for other hard-core discers. Might even draw in some new throwers to the RDG brand!

These finally dropped early last week. Got mine in just in time for some testing over the weekend.
I took a couple videos but nothing turned out too well...

Initial thoughts:

Numbers are pretty accurate. They like to flip up to flat on a firm rip and hold turn for great distance lines. The real surprise is the glide. These really do have good glide. I have only thrown a couple destroyers that have similar glide, but not out of the box unless sub 165g.
I picked up a few lower 160s and a few lower 170s to play with. PLH is similar, so the main difference is some added glide and added ease holding turnover lines in the lower weight.

Colors are bright and pop a little more than the other pinks and yellows in my bag.

Feel. Good grip but not crazy tacky. Fairly firm but does have some give in the hand. Traditional 12 speed rim, not too shallow. The dome is pronounced and you will notice it some in FH grips. I don't mind personally but I am aware is is not everyones preference.

Comparisons:

Best comparison I can give is Pop top Grym-X. The pop top X's were on the more stable side of grym X and flew a tighter line than most. Less turn than most grymX and less fade than the beefy early flatter runs. Pop top grym X are top tier go to drivers imo, but the run was so short lived and last I saw new ones were pushing $100...

More common disc I would compare to is a stable wraith, maybe even halo stable. The carnivore is just a touch faster.

Broken in destroyer is an obvious comparison.

Hurricane is also a good comparison. Older SP to be specific. More stable than Shastacanes and less stable than andycanes. I will be dropping my hurricanes for Carnivores, and not just cause I have a thing for RDG. The added glide just gives me a little more separation between control drivers and distance.

Testing:
I had some bombs thrown with these. They like riding the wind, but don't get pushed around horribly. I was getting similar distance to my glidey ballista pros but less dramatically. I will likely pair them with a stable ballista pro and a spirit for wind and keep a wave or two in the bag for a flippy compliment.

Forehand they were flying well, but I was not as instantly confident in them. I didn't quite have the snap to flip them up to flat like my flippier hurricane, but throwing them flat like I would a ballista pro often resulted in more turn than I wanted. This is just over 2 days of testing and it generally tends to take me a little extra time to dial in discs FH.

Took a couple trees, sidewalk skips and one full power rip hitting the corner of an exposed aggregate building and the plastic is holding up great. Minimal abrasions and no warping.

TLDR, these are a genuine good fit in the go to distance category for everyone but the biggest arms, and would make good max d bombers for the big guns. If you like RDG and Gateway or are just looking for a stock/avaliable good glidey stable distance driver they are definitely worth a try.

These finally dropped early last week. Got mine in just in time for some testing over the weekend.
I took a couple videos but nothing turned out too well...

Initial thoughts:

Numbers are pretty accurate. They like to flip up to flat on a firm rip and hold turn for great distance lines. The real surprise is the glide. These really do have good glide. I have only thrown a couple destroyers that have similar glide, but not out of the box unless sub 165g.
I picked up a few lower 160s and a few lower 170s to play with. PLH is similar, so the main difference is some added glide and added ease holding turnover lines in the lower weight.

Colors are bright and pop a little more than the other pinks and yellows in my bag.

Feel. Good grip but not crazy tacky. Fairly firm but does have some give in the hand. Traditional 12 speed rim, not too shallow. The dome is pronounced and you will notice it some in FH grips. I don't mind personally but I am aware is is not everyones preference.

Comparisons:

Best comparison I can give is Pop top Grym-X. The pop top X's were on the more stable side of grym X and flew a tighter line than most. Less turn than most grymX and less fade than the beefy early flatter runs. Pop top grym X are top tier go to drivers imo, but the run was so short lived and last I saw new ones were pushing $100...

More common disc I would compare to is a stable wraith, maybe even halo stable. The carnivore is just a touch faster.

Broken in destroyer is an obvious comparison.

Hurricane is also a good comparison. Older SP to be specific. More stable than Shastacanes and less stable than andycanes. I will be dropping my hurricanes for Carnivores, and not just cause I have a thing for RDG. The added glide just gives me a little more separation between control drivers and distance.

Testing:
I had some bombs thrown with these. They like riding the wind, but don't get pushed around horribly. I was getting similar distance to my glidey ballista pros but less dramatically. I will likely pair them with a stable ballista pro and a spirit for wind and keep a wave or two in the bag for a flippy compliment.

Forehand they were flying well, but I was not as instantly confident in them. I didn't quite have the snap to flip them up to flat like my flippier hurricane, but throwing them flat like I would a ballista pro often resulted in more turn than I wanted. This is just over 2 days of testing and it generally tends to take me a little extra time to dial in discs FH.

Took a couple trees, sidewalk skips and one full power rip hitting the corner of an exposed aggregate building and the plastic is holding up great. Minimal abrasions and no warping.

TLDR, these are a genuine good fit in the go to distance category for everyone but the biggest arms, and would make good max d bombers for the big guns. If you like RDG and Gateway or are just looking for a stock/avaliable good glidey stable distance driver they are definitely worth a try.
Idk how I missed this thread originally...but I know I need to order a few now. I've been having problems getting a distance driver to fly like that, so maybe these will solve that. I've always said making a 2.2-2.3 cm rimmed Chameleon would be a great idea, but this should work just fine.

Just ordered a couple excited to try them

Just ordered a couple excited to try them
I also just ordered a pair, one each of the 164-166 and 170-172. Reading the description of a disc that goes boom when thrown flat was the kicker for me.

I also grabbed a Molten Stego and a pair of coffee Wizs.

This might be the reason I finally move on from Hurricanes. I still love my lighter ones (167 and 170 shastas are my go to) but they are so rare to find in light weights that I'm starting to prefer now that I've been looking for good alternatives.

Hmm, sounds interesting: the distance slot in bag is currently in flux and I do prefer sub-170g for them.

Question: if the Tyrant stamp is being used for this (and it is an awesome stamp), what stamp will those use (if they're ever run again)?

Another lap of 18 and some field work and I can safely say I have the nose angle hiccup I was having with sidearm corrected. I actually discovered that I can confidently throw some nice anhyzer/flex FHs with them, which I have normally struggled with faster discs for. Was messing around on a hole that normally I would throw an Iguana, but a steady right to left wit a little tailwind had me worried about the gliding fade on the backhand mid. Tried a few carnivore (and other FHs) on a turnover, and they carried effortlessly with the wind under em but still had the integrity to flex back for soft landing. I threw 3 controlled FH to the edge of my FH distance potential.
Idk how I missed this thread originally...but I know I need to order a few now. I've been having problems getting a distance driver to fly like that, so maybe these will solve that. I've always said making a 2.2-2.3 cm rimmed Chameleon would be a great idea, but this should work just fine.
I would say the stability probably isn't too far off Nylon Chameleons, maybe closer to tar pit. That could just be the more aggressive fade of a higher speed disc making me say that.

I also just ordered a pair, one each of the 164-166 and 170-172. Reading the description of a disc that goes boom when thrown flat was the kicker for me.

I jumped on the carnivore too fast and the Wizards weren't uploaded yet. Probably good though, I have 40+ wizards that I like... I do like a low shoulder like those for putting though...

So I got some throws in with the Carnivores recently and once I beat the new off of them (I was throwing in a parking lot after realizing they were beefy OoTB), they actually showed pretty good distance potential. I was seeing 390' flights BH and 330' standstill FHs, which is on par with what I'd expect from my other 12, 5, -1, 3 drivers, but these are more of a -1, 2.25. I could definitely see these being a nice workhorse for me next season as I'm not really in mid season form anymore and that could mean 420'+ from these...

I haven't thrown all of those yet, but it feels similar to the Spell but maybe a touch less stable. It's less stable so far that I would prefer for Forehand but hav head some 400+ backhand crushes with it.

Not sure about flight but the carnivore is shallow.
Idk about that, it feels very comparable to both a Destroyer and a Zeus and neither of those is what I'd consider shallow. I'd consider a Tern to be shallow FWIW.

On an actual throwing note, I guess the wind I was throwing them in the other day definitely made them less stable because today it was calm and I was seeing a 0,3 flight that was going about 360'-375' but I was also playing with my X-Step a bit and couldn't get the nose to even level so who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Latest posts