• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ready to make some changes

Timg told me that makeagif automatically removes anonymous gifs after a week. Not sure, but that might explain why you got this 404 or we see others on the site sometimes. What was the round you got this KJUSA one from? I wanted to start putting some more stuff in the Finish and Address thread and thought this one was really interesting.

Timg told me that makeagif automatically removes anonymous gifs after a week.

Based on the website.

MakeAGif said:
For Anonymous Users :

• We do a weekly clean up and delete inactive GIFS from anonymous users
  • If you don't want your gif to get lost in the shuffle, we encourage you to sign up for a free account or give our Premium a whirl

For Free/Premium Users:

• Your GIFs will not be lost or deleted unless you choose to manually delete it !

So supposedly they don't delete them unless you're anonymous? I don't see the new ones either, could it be some kind of copyright thing?

Based on the website.

So supposedly they don't delete them unless you're anonymous? I don't see the new ones either, could it be some kind of copyright thing?
This issue is annoying as hell. Now I see the first gif, but the second one gives the 404 error.
They are not being deleted, they are still in my library.

I would use giphy, but they won't do vids over 10 min long. Can't find another host that does. :thmbdown:

This issue is annoying as hell. Now I see the first gif, but the second one gives the 404 error.

Don't want to hijack this thread too much over this issue, but doing a little digging I found this interesting issue. If you go to the makeagif page for either of these the mp4 version works but the gif version does not.

https://makeagif.com/i/z_4pHj
https://makeagif.com/i/R8opab

(click the gif instead of mp4)

I created an account to see if I could find out more and was able to create a gif from your mp4.

https://makeagif.com/i/nlcQKN

Maybe you can try to download the gif in your account? Worst case you can make a gif from your mp4.

nlcQKN.gif

They are not being deleted, they are still in my library.

I would use giphy, but they won't do vids over 10 min long. Can't find another host that does. :thmbdown:

Don't want to hijack this thread too much over this issue, but doing a little digging I found this interesting issue. If you go to the makeagif page for either of these the mp4 version works but the gif version does not.

https://makeagif.com/i/z_4pHj
https://makeagif.com/i/R8opab

(click the gif instead of mp4)

I created an account to see if I could find out more and was able to create a gif from your mp4.

https://makeagif.com/i/nlcQKN

Maybe you can try to download the gif in your account? Worst case you can make a gif from your mp4.

nlcQKN.gif

In my view, bryantlikes' first two links give me a "Oops. Page not found..." error and I can see the third.

If it's endemic to makeagif I totally get that a site admin here can't fix it, but identifying practices that help us not get 404s is helpful. Dead links happen, but this still seems like it might involve a weird/inconsistent/shifting indexing thing somewhere.

Feel free to rally to the call on this bug thread if it seems appropriate.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141414

It has something to due with makeagif, not DGCR. Some of my gifs on makeagif I can see the 404 error on them there, but it's not on all of the ones that have issues here.

okay okay guys, I'll try to update more. haha
(Pretty happy though, I definitely thought my weird network situation was the problem).

I've been working on a walk up with the hammer, by that I have been swinging the hammer a lot. A lot. I's pretty easy to feel the weight moving around (as everyone keeps mentioning).

Looking at my video it seems that I'm still opening way too early. Which is insane to me, because these felt a lot more effortless. These were going as far as my walkups/throw were going.

I went and played with a few friends this weekend and noticed that everything was riding a hyzer, it looks pretty obvious now that I'm leaning way over my toes (anteriorly). Am way off balance. Fix will be the next priority.

For these standstills, I was consciously working on keeping the frame intact, not tucking my arm back, and getting into the pocket/hugging the disc. There are some inconsistencies but it *feels* less jerky.
I'm going to give myself an F for hugging the disc.

Will keep grinding away.

Additionally, I think I'm having issues with the disc slipping out of my hands (or I'm letting go)...
If it's slipping, should I try a different grip? Grip harder?
If I'm letting go... well I am just going to not have to do that. haha

Grip: Might be helpful to show a screengrab.

It's possible to grip too hard or too soft. I usually warm up throwing from One Leg first to get my "Dingle arm" loose and relaxed, and I want to feel a firm transfer of force to the grip as it rips out. If I'm gripping too hard sometimes I hear my fingers slap loudly - I suspect it's a reflex when the body is out of balance ("holding on for dear life when out of balance"). Too soft gets early releases. It'll start to sort itself over time and change as you make other adjustments.

This vid helped me:

But you can also focus too much on grip when something else is the issue. Right now you're rising in the plant/swing and opening the shoulder in your practice swings. Instead you want to fall forward/down in the "shift from behind" and then swing behind the brace.

See the image here- load the arm/disc back like hefting a heavy hammer behind you, and swing it forward over the front leg after you plant.

q2TUzM1.png

Grip: Might be helpful to show a screengrab.

But you can also focus too much on grip when something else is the issue. Right now you're rising in the plant/swing and opening the shoulder in your practice swings. Instead you want to fall forward/down in the "shift from behind" and then swing behind the brace.
q2TUzM1.png

Sounds about right. =) Thanks for the visual/description.
Hefting seems to be a strong word choice and not what I've been visualizing. I appreciate that.

-Shift from behind seems to be elusive to me but I think I'm getting closer...
-This swing has come from trying to exaggerate what I've been feeling with the hammer/elephant walk. It feels a bit more natural with a couple of steps and on extreme hyzer (as you have eluded to previously).
-Related but reminder to myself: I took a stack of putters in my left hand, walked laterally (not focusing on form) and just threw to mimic the perpetual motion mechanic. This reminded me of how much power can come from from staying smooth.

While you're probably right about holding on for dear life. As a sanity check and for completeness, I've attached my power grip.

Thanks for reviewing. I have some work to do.

Attachments

• 20220711_095714.jpg
    20220711_095714.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220711_095700.jpg
    20220711_095700.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5
Ah. I remember you said to grab a video of the the hershyzer and one leg drills. Completely slipped my mind and makes sense.

Had to grab a driver, but I just threw the disc up in the air and caught it so i didn't think about it too much.

I appreciate your notes. When I met with this pro he really beat into me how important the index/thumb pivot was. I have pretty boxy hands and a relatively short index finger, so it's taken a lot of stretching (and sometimes tension) to get that. I've played guitar for 20 years and it's a challenge, so I guess that should have been an indication that something was wrong.

I feel the most pressure on my thumb, then equal for middle/ring, pinky is pushing into my palm.

The pictures keep auto rotating... sorry.

Attachments

• 20220711_103639.jpg
    20220711_103639.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220711_103712.jpg
    20220711_103712.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220711_103727.jpg
    20220711_103727.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 10
I have a square hand and short index finger too. The important part is that you get the alignment between the disc nose and forearm. Your 2nd image looks best on that front but still looks a little nose up to me. You want the relative alignments to look like this:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3440757&postcount=4

In the 3rd image the index finger "splaying" ahead of the others is good to get alignment in the hand. It functions just like a golf club:
IMG_9630-lg.jpg

You might be cocking your wrist just to get the photo; just work on that alignment with the forearm per the above.

If you're really cramped, for power grip some people drop to 3 or 2 fingers- the relative tradeoff is often control.

I usually throw with a modified fan grip like Avery's now. That grip can feel a little cramped on high speed drivers with my hand dimensions, but for me it's comfortable with 11 speeds and down. I only switch to a power grip like the one I linked in my other post when throwing wide rim drivers and when I have more airspace to work with.

I think SW22 mentioned elsewhere he likes to throw Wraiths (11 spd) due to hand fit, and that you can get a better pivot/lever/hammer effect due to the narrower rim.

It can take some time when throwing to get the right amount of grip tension/tendon bounce, but it should leverage just like swinging a hammer/golf club. When I warm up or do practice drills I always swing my arm around trying to get the disc to feel heavy, and to get my wrist to feel like it's firm but not clamping down like a vice.

I usually throw with a modified fan grip like Avery's now. That grip can feel a little cramped on high speed drivers with my hand dimensions, but for me it's comfortable with 11 speeds and down. I only switch to a power grip like the one I linked in my other post when throwing wide rim drivers and when I have more airspace to work with.

I think SW22 mention

First, thanks for this, I have a picture of myself absolutely shocked that the nose is down. Square Hand Gang.

Secondly, I did some fieldwork yesterday. Am pretty sore today.
I've also been doing drills but they don't look right, so I'm going to put that off a little longer.

There IS some distance gained, 20 feet or so, while it feels like less work than before, it still looks like I'm really straining. I realized I was still trying to start the swing and not letting gravity pull it.

I saw Brychanus excited about the Atlas swings in another thread, I practiced the inside out can crush, SC's grass clipping idea, and came up with this little move

(retrospectively... of course it was inside the house. nothing bad can happen, right?).

So this feels totally different, smooth, and even though I'm not putting any force in it:
1) I don't have to force the pocket
2) it feels impossible not follow through/starts itself
3) hand on outside of the disc

Also, there is a little "hammer heft" but I assume that putting more momentum in it will straighten it out.

I'm going to have to rest before I can try it, but excited so wondering if this looks like I'm on to something?

I threw in the field a bit after work. I used the below grip. Everything was incredibly straight. I've attached to check. Again, the rotation is killing me.

Drills. As promised.
1) I did the heryhyzer 2 drill. tried to get a little more force into the last one.

2) One leg. After watching the video again it looks like I can clean up some of the wobble back and forth.
Otherwise I'm seeing my leg compress and hip clear. Not sure what else to look for.

Oh and as we're doing wrestling gifs now. Check out that sweet flow.

giphy.gif

Attachments

• 20220718_181154.jpg
    20220718_181154.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220718_181159.jpg
    20220718_181159.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220718_181215.jpg
    20220718_181215.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 5
1. Hershyzer - you are trying to rotate forward way too much. Just shift forward and stop while still turned back as much as possible.

2. OLD - you are holding the disc all wrong/over curling by 90 degrees. Disc should travel about 180 degrees back and forth, not 270. Try to keep your hand more above the disc on that type of swing drill you are doing. You also start uncurling/casting the wrist from the top of backswing/start forward swing instead of at the very end of the forward swing/hit.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415