• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Real Aces?

im not saying it shouldnt count. scoring wise yea its 1 stroke. its more so me seeing people brag about a shot that really wasnt that impressive. ive made more impressive shots than some people brag about and the only difference is that the spot they threw from was marked as a tee.
you da man.
3987-cool-story-bro.jpg

So I want to get your guys opinions on what you think is really considered an ace. I've played on courses where no hole is over 240 ft and there are wide open holes that are 150 ft. To me if you get that hole in one throw it doesn't really count as an ace. Ive made 150 ft blind shots into the basket before which is much harder than some of the shots people are claiming aces on. By definition, yes it is an ace. it was done in one throw from where the pad is marked. but to me aces are something that should be impressive and a difficult task to accomplish. My general rule is at least 250 ft wide open hole or a shorter hole if its a very tight or technical hole such as one with lots of trees.

What do you guys think on this matter?

I just got my first ace on 7-5 on a beautiful anhyzer from 146' out with my SSS Magic. I hereby label you a rat bastard if you take that away from me. :D

how rediculous!! why so sour bro?? (op) an ace is an ace...so is a 175' ace worthy of your approval to be celebrated?? where's the line drawn?

so are you saying it's easy to walk up to a 150ft. wide open hole and throw it in?

I dunno....ask Cubby.(This guy wants to take all Cubby's aces away!)

And, what Scarpfish said last. :thmbup:

I just got my first ace on 7-5 on a beautiful anhyzer from 146' out with my SSS Magic. I hereby label you a rat bastard if you take that away from me. :D

well was it a wide open field or was it a more technical hole? if it was a wide open field and 146' i wouldnt think its anything to brag about. im not saying its that easy to get it an ace on 150' hole but its not terribly difficult. when someone says they got an ace it sounds like an impressive accomplishment. but when you find out it it was 150' open hole then it loses its value

Originally Posted by AcornRadio42 View Post

If a 150' ace takes the ace pot then what do you think? If it's you are you not going to take the $$$ because it wasn't 250'? My son and I were talking about this earlier, (while he was mocking my 2 short ace's) - a home run to right field in Yankee stadium is just as much a home run as a 480' shot to deep center in Arlington.

I think what he's getting at, is, at what point does it become ridiculous ?
If I put a tee box 30' from a basket, is this still an ace ?
I sure would have alot more if I played those courses with 70' holes more, I splash from that distance all the time.
One hundred million aces are worthless if they're really just putts, its supposed to be a challenge, something that's not easy.

I feel anything wide open, under 200', is an approach, so its not really an ace, or one you should brag about, even if you count it.
These are my rules, and nobody else has to live by them, just me.

Whoa man...were just giving him a hard time because there's so many threads on the subject. Its not a stupid question, and I laugh at you of you think a hole in one in golf is as easy as an ace in disc golf.
I disagree and I think it is a stupid question. And if you read my post, I never once said I think a hole in one is as easy as an Ace. Not sure where you pulled that one out of? On that note, however, I have been with 3 different people who have got hole in ones in ball golf, one of them being a 45 year old lady.(not saying it's easy, but it is still pretty possible) These were all considered "easy" holes in ball golf....150ish yards....should I tell them that it wasn't that impressive because I have seen others hit 150 yard shots from the fairway....hell no. That was my point. I appreciate a good shot wherever it is from; teepad, fairway, deep in the woods, etc.

An Ace is a ace in my book.

Whether it be a 170ft Ace or a 300ft Ace.You get that same feeling when you hit them.

you+_e08e876c81792dd998341c19e725ffec.jpg

3PQtc.gif

this thread is shallow and pedantic... I believe I shall close it....

wait

I can't do that?

well, nevermind then....
carry on chaps!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AcornRadio42 View Post

If a 150' ace takes the ace pot then what do you think? If it's you are you not going to take the $$$ because it wasn't 250'? My son and I were talking about this earlier, (while he was mocking my 2 short ace's) - a home run to right field in Yankee stadium is just as much a home run as a 480' shot to deep center in Arlington.

If you hit it over the fence fair in any park its a home run, just like if it goes in the basket on your first throw it's an ace. But like home runs, some aces are more impressive than others.

my only ace is a 127' straight shot, the kicker is that there is a 7 foot dead tree about 25ft. in front of the basket blocking the straight shot, tree limbs protrude into most of the right side of the fairway blocking a big hyzer, and the left and right are guarded by small saplings. you have about a 6ft. gap and then the disc must fade to the basket.

just showing holes under 150ft. can be interesting.

This is how I decide my aces:

1. Am I on the Tee Pad during a round? If so, proceed to 2.

2. Did it go in the basket and stay? If so, proceed to 3.

3. It's an Ace, Mo'fuggah!