• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Realistic expectations for over 50 crowd

Hey, 40 year olds, get off this thread, dagnabit!

A man's strength peaks in his early 40s. You can't talk about being old until at least 50 or 55.

Technique is everything. You can't blame age unless you were already a 500 foot thrower and can't do it anymore.

Proper technique gives more distance, and less wear and tear. 50 year olds are still plenty strong, they are just more likely to get injured.

One big thing I've learned in the injury department: do not wear shoes with really great traction, as that prevents spinning on your heel properly in the grass on fairway drives. That causes really bad stuff to happen in the knees and back.

Old, slow, short, and straight.

I'm 55 years of age and have been playing almost three years. I'm not sure how far I can throw but I usually get about 225 on my drive...right in the middle of the fairway. I can usually park the up shot within 15 feet. If it's a long par four I just throw another 225 foot shot and then up-n-down. Par golf is what I strive for and will occasionally get a birdie on the short holes. I have no ambition to win tourneys and just enjoy playing them for the social aspect.

There are a bunch of 20 somethings in my club that will throw 375-400 on their drive and then miss their long birdie attempt. Or they'll dink the upshot and we end up with the same score on most of the holes. My favorite thing to do is to get a couple of them trying to out-drive one another and watch them fall apart while the old man just steadily throws par after par.

Proper technique gives more distance, and less wear and tear. 50 year olds are still plenty strong, they are just more likely to get injured.

Strength is one thing, flexibility another entirely. I used to be able to slap a backboard, but now I have the vertical leap of a 4-year-old.

There are good reasons even elite athletes, with the best training and medicine in the world, and the best technique, at 50 are shadows of their 20-something selves.

Strength is one thing, flexibility another entirely. I used to be able to slap a backboard, but now I have the vertical leap of a 4-year-old.

There are good reasons even elite athletes, with the best training and medicine in the world, and the best technique, at 50 are shadows of their 20-something selves.

I pretty much agree, while I'm in good shape, I'm no where near as "elastic" as I once was. When I rotate my hips, I can feel that they just don't snap around like I once remember.

Maybe it's time to go back to Yoga!

I'm over my head now, but I think the elasticity fits in with fast-twitch muscles and the ability to accelerate. I coached youth sports, and kids with about 5 ounces of total muscle could smoke a fastball, and it clearly had nothing to do with strength. Whatever that is, I think it's what you start losing as you age.

You can maximize what you've got left with technique, fitness training, flexibility, etc., but you've still got a ceiling. Yours is higher than mine, and who knows if you've reached it. Don't give up!

Definitely not going to give up. I love learning and I'm having fun. I have no interest in playing competitively, so I'm only try to improve for me, because it's fun. . . . and frustrating at times.

I'm 65 and just started playing this summer. I'm only consistently hitting around 200 feet, with the occasional 250. I am gaining distance slowly but am really going to concentrate on my short game the most come Spring. Most of the courses I play have reachable "greens" in 2, making a par a realistic goal. I am resigned to the fact that par golf is the best I'm going to achieve. I actually win most of the time because I usually have the most fun.

I'm getting ready to be 63 years young this Summer. I started playing DG way back in the 70's then life got in the way ( school, work, family & kids). Kids never took to DG so that got put on back burner. So my Grandson and I took the sport up 4 years ago and boy, I sure did miss it.
I now have my throws to where I can hit 300' most times but have really improved in my mid-range game.
One thing that does bother me is that with so many younger people playing I find it difficult (or maybe self conscious) to play with others feeling like I'm holding them up since I can't throw the big drive. I know it's me but it does bother me some.
I am thinking of starting to do some tournys this year and play more leagues.
w
What I have found is that field work is a must in this game. This past Summer I did FW 5-6 time a week for a minimum of 2 hrs. Most times 3+. I feel it helps with flexibility and muscle memory.
Just my .02.

One thing that does bother me is that with so many younger people playing I find it difficult (or maybe self conscious) to play with others feeling like I'm holding them up since I can't throw the big drive. I know it's me but it does bother me some.

I can relate to this. I've found if my drive is short but in the fairway it is no real delay for the others because we all have to walk right by it anyway. I just try to be ready quick and just advance the disc as quickly as I can.

I am not sure flexibility is the absolute key to major distance as you age. I am 49, I started practicing yoga in my late thirties and now have better flexibility than I did when I was 20.

What I have been noticing more as I get older is a slow loss of coordination. I still play hockey competitively and I have noticed my foot agility and my "hands" are degrading faster than my overall speed and strength. Not bad enough to quit, but bad enough to get frustrated quickly.

For me it's more of an ability to hit the timing right (good form).

Reptitive exercises for muscle memory are the key for me. I spend a lot of time in the field working to get my form clean.

But I really don't really need 400+ ft distance in the courses I play, most are technical and I focus more on accuracy than distance.....

Love this thread. The first year I played (94?) I was blue and green from my elbow to my armpit. I was trying to throw SO HARD which of course is wrong. As my technique gets slightly better each year and the discs got more tech it takes less effort to retain distance and maybe a little here and there is actually a gain. In the meantime like most of you I have relied on what came more easily. First was simple game management, then solid approaches and after a few years of putting a couple hundred a day several days a week my putting is finally not scary but enjoyable. More D ? that will be what I concentrate on this year. fwiw I haven't had an ACL in my left knee since 84 so I can't use a lot of the typical distance techniques. So I step nice and easy, get a whip and let her fly. Learning to work each disc to it's max D takes a lot of practice no matter what techniqe or disc you use.

I am 56 and still having fun playing DG.
Speaking about distance, yes it is important.
The more distance that you can accurately throw on a drive, the easier it is to play this game.

And distance is all about form.
My biggest worry at 56 is that I cannot practice as hard or as long as I did when I was 20, 30 or 40, because of the possibility of injury.
As my form improves, and smooths out, I should be less susceptible to injury.
At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I just turned 57 and started playing again 2+ years ago. I played several frisbee sports (freestyle, golf, distance, guts, ultimate) competitively from 1977 to 1982 but got burned out on disc and stopped playing to focus on family, school and career.

I'm 6'-4", so I've always had the "ape factor" (as a buddy used to call it) and have been able to throw it far. I also practiced a lot and worked hard on my form. I'll agree that good form is the key factor to developing distance.

I've now become addicted to this sport again and get out and hit a course or field practice as often as I can. The biggest adjustment for me has been going from throwing midnight flyers and lids to today's discs. I can throw anywhere from 350-425 depending on conditions and how my body feels that particular day. My accuracy is improving and my putting needs more consistency.

The fact is, this is a great sport/ activity for guys/ girls in their 50's. I live in Minneapolis and there are many courses within 20 minutes. I get to walk thru woods and forests, fields and prairies, up and down hills and ravines while working up a sweat! I look forward to playing more league and tourneys in 2015 and beyond.

Welcome back.

I think of good form as a way of maximizing distance. Simplified, I think of this and other athletic skills as consisting of 3 factors

1---Your inherent athleticism. The way your body is put together. This varies widely from person to person, and pretty much dictates how far you can rise.
2---Your body and how you care for it, where fitness, strength, and flexibility come in. Do these poorly, and you restrict how far you can rise.
3---Technique, which is how you maximize what you've got from 1 & 2.

That's how I view the physical part. The mental side is a whole 'nother issue.

I just turned 57 and started playing again 2+ years ago. I played several frisbee sports (freestyle, golf, distance, guts, ultimate) competitively from 1977 to 1982 but got burned out on disc and stopped playing to focus on family, school and career.

I'm 6'-4", so I've always had the "ape factor" (as a buddy used to call it) and have been able to throw it far. I also practiced a lot and worked hard on my form. I'll agree that good form is the key factor to developing distance.

I've now become addicted to this sport again and get out and hit a course or field practice as often as I can. The biggest adjustment for me has been going from throwing midnight flyers and lids to today's discs. I can throw anywhere from 350-425 depending on conditions and how my body feels that particular day. My accuracy is improving and my putting needs more consistency.

The fact is, this is a great sport/ activity for guys/ girls in their 50's. I live in Minneapolis and there are many courses within 20 minutes. I get to walk thru woods and forests, fields and prairies, up and down hills and ravines while working up a sweat! I look forward to playing more league and tourneys in 2015 and beyond.

Let me know if you ever want to play this Summer.

I'm 65 and just started playing this summer. I'm only consistently hitting around 200 feet, with the occasional 250. I am gaining distance slowly but am really going to concentrate on my short game the most come Spring. Most of the courses I play have reachable "greens" in 2, making a par a realistic goal. I am resigned to the fact that par golf is the best I'm going to achieve. I actually win most of the time because I usually have the most fun.

I'm also 65 and can throw in the 300-320' range on flat ground. The last two years I've gotten serious and have done a good amount of field work along with towel snapping and other drills. The drills help get the timing right, and with proper timing you don't need to throw as hard. That said, even 320' ain't much in intermediate. That said, 50' closer to the target with solid approach and putting skills will get you in the game (and more than a few birdies).

I'm 52 and haven't noticed much of a difference in max d but have noticed a drop in the number max d throws my body can take. My form stays better because of quicker feed back that my body gives now. Because of lower testosterone levels I no longer fill the need to crush every long drive, this makes course management better and leads to overall lower scores. my expectations are high, I just expect to park that 200ft approach and make that 60ft putt instead of throw a 500ft drive. With age comes wisdom, use it to your advantage.

I'm 52 and haven't noticed much of a difference in max d but have noticed a drop in the number max d throws my body can take. My form stays better because of quicker feed back that my body gives now. Because of lower testosterone levels I no longer fill the need to crush every long drive, this makes course management better and leads to overall lower scores. my expectations are high, I just expect to park that 200ft approach and make that 60ft putt instead of throw a 500ft drive. With age comes wisdom, use it to your advantage.

I agree with this. I don't feel a "need" to crush a drive, but am always trying to improve none the less. If I can shrink that 60ft putt down to 40, that would be nice.

Most of my practice it with mids and putters and in the last two years I really see the difference. But I still work on my driving too. I do notice I would rather throw a nice controlled drive over raw distance that gets me further down the fairway but no closer to the basket. My Tern only comes out on longer par four holes, otherwise I throw something more controllable.

Latest posts