• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Realistic expectations for over 50 crowd

The older guys around me just play for fun and don't seem all that concerned with improving, they throw a Beast 250' and their fine with that, I however am not.

What's a realistic expectation?

I'm a grandmaster and just completed my first year in PDGA tournaments and my 3rd year playing disc golf. I've played against some of the best adv grandmasters in the state of the Texas and even recently competed against the am adv gm national winner. (Mike Anderson, He beat me by 6 strokes the 1st round, 2 strokes the 2nd round btw.) lol.. Sure it's good to drive far, but realistically a 250ft accurate drive, a 200ft accurate upshot, a high percentage of putts made from 30ft out, gives you a chance at par for pretty much any hole 500ft or less. Anything above those numbers are you're looking at birdie possibilities. And par will win you alot of tournaments, and if you don't win you will more than likely cash out at most events shooting par.

Personally speaking I throw 350+ in open holes, in tunnel shots, low ceilings, etc, I'm thrilled with shots that make it out to 250. Now...here's the eye opener....learn to throw a roller. I've been schooled a few times by some old guys where they see me air drive 350+ and they look at me and wink...and throw a 400ft+ roller. :) So I'm now trying to learn a roller because this is a valuable tool to have, especially in long holes through trees, etc, etc.

Like I've told a few peeps before...a local pro here in Dallas recently taught a 70yr old how to drive 400ft. So...yah...that tells you alot right there. lol..

Hmm. I'm rebuilding my drive technique after almost three decades of muscling discs, because I simply can't muscle them as far as I used to. I'm actually looking to increase my driving distance in bettering my form; from a ~300' range to more like a ~350'+ range.

Almost 30 years of play has my short game running like clockwork, so inside 200' is joyful play--and why I still love this game. I expect the short game to only get better, and once I've rebuilt the long game, things will be even more fun.

Glad to see others pushing my long time philosophy....ACCURACY over distance. I am pushing 49 at the moment, but with hard work's wear and tear and injuries out the wazoo, my physical age has been put in the mid 70's by my doc.:\

I am just coming back from my 5th and absolute worst shoulder injury to date. Its taken almost a year to get back up to fighting form. Bet I didn't play a dozen rounds since Feb '14 when I got hurt again. I had just worked back up to the 300-340 tops range from a previous injury to the same shoulder when it happened again. At least it was in a different area of the shoulder this time. Now, I am back to the 265-280 range again. My mid range and short game didn't suffer much if any at least. Once I got back to playing with my group, I did notice I was more apt to stay with the lead by relying on accurate but shorter drives, accurate approaches and good putts. They never stopped playing and some even played more. I could tell some had improved a good bit when I was out. Pissed them off plenty when I could stay up with them with the accurate short and shorter game. :D

I have noticed my form has moved off a bit again as it does after every injury. Scar tissue keeps me having to adapt my form to what I can now do rather than what is supposed to be done or what I used to do. When I learned that, I stopped re-injuring myself so much. I found the best thing is not to worry about the distance anymore...just be accurate wherever I am and drop the approaches and putts where they should be. If possible, the distance will come back eventually. My cart has helped a ton, too. Saves the shoulder, both of them and the back. Every little bit helps and at this point, I'll take any and every help I can get my paws on. :D

No doubt, good health is key.I sprained the heck out of my left ankle slipping in mud last winter, which is a major handicap for a LHBH thrower. Took a couple months to heal, and it was a warning sign akin to what some of you are talking about.

I also went from a 4 finger power grip to a 3 finger version. I was having chronic pain in my knuckles, aggravated by excessive grip locks. I also went to a pseudo-fan grip for mids and putters. I sacrificed a bit of distance MAYBE, but my hand feels great, much better than my first year throwing nearly every day.

Protect the body so you can enjoy the game.

I started late in life. I was in my early 50's. Now at 61 I can say my game has improved in all areas including my distance. This past summer I was regularly throwing 300+. That said, unless I find that magic disc, I don't see much more distance for 2015 and beyond. And I'm ok with that. Where I can make up strokes is with my approach shots and my putts. And improving my course management. I doubt my competitive nature will let me give up trying for more D. But I can't deny the affects of Father Time.

I'm glad to see the comments of all the old dogs. I love that you're all out there. I didn't start until I was 60, and I've been slowly improving. I'm sure there are some form adjustments that can improve my distance a little, but I'm not expecting miracles. I'm just having a good time out in the woods watching things fly, and I keep my competitive nature fueled by challenging myself to try to do a little better with each toss.

I started late in life. I was in my early 50's. Now at 61 I can say my game has improved in all areas including my distance. This past summer I was regularly throwing 300+. That said, unless I find that magic disc, I don't see much more distance for 2015 and beyond. And I'm ok with that. Where I can make up strokes is with my approach shots and my putts. And improving my course management. I doubt my competitive nature will let me give up trying for more D. But I can't deny the affects of Father Time.

If you're upshots and putting is decent, a senior gm throwing 300+ is going to do well in that division. Keep it up! :)

Glad to see others pushing my long time philosophy....ACCURACY over distance. I am pushing 49 at the moment, but with hard work's wear and tear and injuries out the wazoo, my physical age has been put in the mid 70's by my doc.:\

I am just coming back from my 5th and absolute worst shoulder injury to date. Its taken almost a year to get back up to fighting form. Bet I didn't play a dozen rounds since Feb '14 when I got hurt again. I had just worked back up to the 300-340 tops range from a previous injury to the same shoulder when it happened again. At least it was in a different area of the shoulder this time. Now, I am back to the 265-280 range again. My mid range and short game didn't suffer much if any at least. Once I got back to playing with my group, I did notice I was more apt to stay with the lead by relying on accurate but shorter drives, accurate approaches and good putts. They never stopped playing and some even played more. I could tell some had improved a good bit when I was out. Pissed them off plenty when I could stay up with them with the accurate short and shorter game. :D

I have noticed my form has moved off a bit again as it does after every injury. Scar tissue keeps me having to adapt my form to what I can now do rather than what is supposed to be done or what I used to do. When I learned that, I stopped re-injuring myself so much. I found the best thing is not to worry about the distance anymore...just be accurate wherever I am and drop the approaches and putts where they should be. If possible, the distance will come back eventually. My cart has helped a ton, too. Saves the shoulder, both of them and the back. Every little bit helps and at this point, I'll take any and every help I can get my paws on. :D

I feel your pain. I drive a steel truck and my hands a feet take a beating. The hand injuries are the worst. Like you, most of the cartilage in my joints have been worn away. I play a lot better taking Aleve, aspirin or alcohol. I can simply play better when I'm not in big time pain.

Because of my active work life, I'm in very good shape for my age. I'm only 5'10" and my arms are "muscled up" instead of flexible. I don't care what anyone says, flexibility is a huge factor in finding distance. My ability to get good distance, 325-350 on open holes, is due to working on technique constantly. I've noticed that guys with long, lean arms get easy distance compared to us vertically challenged individuals. There's nothing I can do about that. I am getting into yoga. It's helping.

I don't care what anyone says, flexibility is a huge factor in finding distance. My ability to get good distance, 325-350 on open holes, is due to working on technique constantly. I've noticed that guys with long, lean arms get easy distance compared to us vertically challenged individuals. There's nothing I can do about that. I am getting into yoga. It's helping.

I think flexibility is more important than long limbs. Yoga should definitely help. :thmbup:

By the way, I've found a group of grandmaster aged guys that consistently hit 300+. They don't throw their putters and mids nearly as far as I do, but they come close with their wide rimmed drivers and Valks.

It's hard to get "old dogs" to play putter only or mid/putter only rounds.

Well actually I throw my putters and mids almost as far as my drivers. So I'm fine with mid/putter only rounds. Wish I could get some distance out of my drivers.

I think muscle speed and coordination are too key factors to achieving distance. Unfortunately these are two things we tend to loose quickest as we age.

I still have plenty of strength but my hand/arm speed has slowed way down from what it was when I was in my prime. Arthritis and injuries have also effected my coordination.

Oh well, you know what they say "Getting old isn't for wimps."

In the music education world there is a teaching concept of Sound, Accuracy, Speed. This means the musician should 1) get a good sound 2) play the right notes 3) then play it fast. In that priority order.

I have adopted this to learning disc golf: Form, Accuracy, Distance. In that order.

Latest posts