• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reasons to make calls after finding a disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamecock

Par Member
I want to be better prepared next time...

I was playing a round on a local course this past weekend and saw a couple guys go wading into a swampy pond to retrieve their discs (in a group of 5 guys, 3 tee shots went in the water). They walked around in mud with bare feet in a pond that alligators have been observed in and pulled out 27 discs in about 20 minutes!

Several of them were new players and I told them that calling up people to tell them you've found their discs was "the right thing to do". One younger guy made a comment he didn't understand why. I tried to make my point in a humorous way, saying "Call it Disc Golf Karma. If you don't do it, you will lose more discs than you find. If you do, you might find more discs than you lose."

One of those 27 discs was an old Aviar of mine I'd forgotten I threw in there!

I had already mentioned I'd put several discs in that pond, but same dude was skeptical it was mine until I showed him all the other discs in my bag had that same name and phone number on them.

I also told them how I called a guy out of state and he said "Just keep it Man, but thanks so much for calling me". I thought I did well explaining why that's best. But... When the same young guy said "Well, I don't believe in Karma. Why should we call these guys to return their discs, when we went to all the trouble (+ risk) to retrieve them?" I just couldn't come up with enough good reasons to convince him. I thought I had or could, but no go.

What would YOU have told this kid? :confused:

I want to have some more good/better reasons in case it ever happens again!

Thanks in advance!

What would you want someone to do if it was your disc they found?

In this case, if it was in an area that was such a risk I would just assume they keep it.

Its stealing!

Yeah, that's a real good one alrighty! LOL

Gosh, I never even thought to mention that... :(

Thanks for a prompt reply AirMcNair!

I'd like to be able to rattle off 3-5 real good reasons if this happens again...

Anybody else?

i'd tell him not to be a d-bag, and call some #'s!

....half of the time the # is outdated, person doesn't get back after u leave a voicemail.
the other half of the time, u make someones day....every now and then someone will even offer a couple of bucks or a 6-pack if it was a disc that they really cared about...

...i know if someone called me about a disc i lost i'd offer a 6-er

Tell them they are being little douche bag *******s and if they don't want to return the discs get the hell out of our sport.

What would you want someone to do if it was your disc they found?

I think I said something like "There's a Golden Rule in disc golf. If you call people about discs you find, you will get a call after losing one of your discs."

In this case, if it was in an area that was such a risk I would just assume they keep it.

Wasn't much risk, as pond wasn't that deep and there were 4 guys watching for a gator while 2 were wading. They did get nervous when a turtle along the edge plopped into the water. Had it made a bigger splash, it may have been scarier...

Thanks for your input!

They walked around in mud with bare feet in a pond that alligators have been observed in and pulled out 27 discs in about 20 minutes!
I'd have let them keep at it, but that's just the sick kind of guy that I am. :p

crocodile_big_bite.gif

I call when I find drowned discs, but I understand when people don't.
When I throw a disc in the local ditch, I go in after it.
If somebody can't be bothered, why is it my responsibility to call?
If you want the disc, go get it. If not, you've abandoned it.
Even so, I call when I find drowned discs, but I understand when people don't.

:popcorn:

""Why should we call these guys to return their discs, when we went to all the trouble (+ risk) to retrieve them?""

The kid makes a decent point. If you want to keep your property, don't risk throwing it over alligator infested waters and then abandon it. I mean, if you find someones disc in the middle of a fairway or in a basket, thats a completely different story. You better call the number and help them out at that point.

But if I put my disc in something that i'm not willing to retrieve it from, and someone else is, then they deserve it more. I've never got a call back, and i'm not mad about it because I chose to take the risk on all those shots. If you throw your disc in a swamp; Do you really expect someone to dig through it, find your disc, call your number, package it up, and bring it to the post office or meet you somewhere? You atleast planning on paying these people a couple dollars?

I might sound like an a$$ to some of you, but its real talk!

Last edited:
After they get done take all of the discs they just stole. Put it in you bag and walk to your car. When they start talking chit tell them you found them on the ground. Tell them this "Show some I.D. and I'll give yours back, no charge"!

""Why should we call these guys to return their discs, when we went to all the trouble (+ risk) to retrieve them?""

The kid makes a decent point. If you want to keep your property, don't risk throwing it over alligator infested waters and then abandon it. I mean, if you find someones disc in the middle of a fairway or in a basket, thats a completely different story. You better call the number and help them out at that point. But if I put my disc in something that i'm not willing to retrieve it from, and someone else is, then they deserve it more. I've never got a call back, and i'm not mad about it because I chose to take the risk on all those shots.

If you throw your disc in a swamp. Do you really expect someone to dig through it, find your disc, call your number, package it up, and bring it to the post office or meet you somewhere? You atleast planning on paying these people a couple dollars?

I might sound like an a$$ to some of you
, but its real talk!

Nope, +1 agreed

Here is the problem.
If one of those dumb kids were attacked by a gator, the course would get closed down over a $7 piece of plastic.

I call when I find drowned discs, but I understand when people don't.
When I throw a disc in the local ditch, I go in after it.
If somebody can't be bothered, why is it my responsibility to call?
If you want the disc, go get it. If not, you've abandoned it.
Even so, I call when I find drowned discs, but I understand when people don't.

:popcorn:

I am the exact same way. I can understand why someone who goes diving for discs doesn't return them, since the original owner CHOSE not to go in after it. I do call all the numbers on the discs I find in the water though. I've returned about a dozen in the past 2 months, but haven't had any of the 3 I've thrown in returned yet :(.

i'd tell him not to be a d-bag, and call some #'s!

....half of the time the # is outdated, person doesn't get back after u leave a voicemail.
the other half of the time, u make someones day....every now and then someone will even offer a couple of bucks or a 6-pack if it was a disc that they really cared about...

...i know if someone called me about a disc i lost i'd offer a 6-er

Oooo... Reward money! That's a good one for sure. I mentioned the discs (stained from being underwater in mud) discs were worth about $5.00 each and it can cost that much to ship one outta state.

I did explain if you can't read the # or it's no longer working, the disc is yours to keep.

I had a guy tell me that a disc of his I found was a rare very early Innova now worth $150 in mint condition (although his had become a bit worn). He said it made his day that someone returned such an obviously old driver. It took awhile to get it back to the guy, who explained this disc was among the first of all DG drivers to have a sharp edge on it, as opposed to rounded edge.

Your suggestion certainly makes the list...

Thanks!

Did you get your aviar back at least?

Yes, I did.

I said I hoped he would find my light blue and clear Champion Panther and when one pulled up a blue Champion Beast I thought that was it for about a second...

You know, I consciously acted happier to get that Aviar back than I would've normally - to demonstrate how it feels great to have an old disc returned to me.

Here is the problem.
If one of those dumb kids were attacked by a gator, the course would get closed down over a $7 piece of plastic.

Point well made...

The reason there were so many discs in that pond is because there are several signs around that pond/lake that state NOT to go wading, swimming or fishing in that water. With 2 wading, there were 4 of us to be on lookout for a gator.

Here in SC, if a gator reaches 6 feet long in a public pond, the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) will come pick it up and transport it to a sparsely-populated area. Of course, somebody has to call them up to complain about it first. Hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts