• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Rebranded Molds

The vast majority of Thought Space Athletics disc and MINT Discs are the same.

Mantra = Freetail
Animus = Longhorn
Pathfinder = Mustang
Praxis = Bullet
Synapse = Goat

I have zero doubts about the above molds.
The below molds are speculation because I haven't personally compared them.

Votum = Grackle
Omen or Coalesce = Alpha
Mana = Lobster

I haven't heard of any of these molds...isn't the Alpha a not-Teebird or not-Rival?

I'm too young to be old:(

I had never bothered to check until the last few weeks, but I think this is accurate. Maybe the cyclone had a microbead at the bottom of the wing? But the 'notch' on the wing is a dead giveaway that it was borrowed from the cyclone mold

The Cyclone had a notch at both sides of the bottom of the wing. The Passion has a notch on the underside of the flight plate, but a curved under-wing notch like the MRV or the Magnet. The Passion also isn't anywhere near as domey as most Cyclones were. It's also a notch (pun intended) less stable than the Cyclone was.

its pretty similar to mobile phones...there are really only verizon, att, tmobile that operate networks (after much consolidation in the industry)...every other "brand" you have out there are just running off one of these 3 providers and making their service seem their own to the consumer....in the US at least.

Mantra = Freetail
Animus = Longhorn
Pathfinder = Mustang
Praxis = Bullet
Synapse = Goat

Curious where you heard this. I only have a couple Mantra's by TSA, but I've been bagging Freetails for a couple months now. I throw the Freetail further than anything else, by far. I wasn't impressed at all by the Mantra a couple years ago. But when comparing the two today, they do look pretty damn similar.

The Mantra flew like a champ Sidewinder and the Freetail flies like a Mamba. Look pretty similar though tbh.

I haven't heard of any of these molds...isn't the Alpha a not-Teebird or not-Rival?

I'm too young to be old:(

You throw a bunch of Legacy to be fair. I haven't heard that name mentioned on here in years. They're like the Pontiac of DG. :D

Mantra = Freetail
Animus = Longhorn
Pathfinder = Mustang
Praxis = Bullet
Synapse = Goat

Maybe I need to check out the Animus since I can't find Longhorns in stock anywhere at retail.

I think I read somewhere that two discs of the same mold and plastic can fly differently due to things like temperature that affects cooling rate when the disc is manufactured. And different plastics in the same mold will also cool at different rates. Anyone else heard similar or different?

I think I read somewhere that two discs of the same mold and plastic can fly differently due to things like temperature that affects cooling rate when the disc is manufactured. And different plastics in the same mold will also cool at different rates. Anyone else heard similar or different?
Outside temperature has a very minor effect on disc cooling. The temperature of the coolant running through cooling channels in the mold will affect disc cooling a lot more. But yeah, cooling has a major effect on shrinkage (warpage) of the disc.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

Ya.. Oddly, due to variation within molds, flight characteristics are probably not be the best way to determine if a mold is 1:1 the same as another mold.

Praxis -> Bullet is good to know.

They look identical, down to the very micro micro-bead and the weird divots every 1.5 inches around the rim where it meets the flight plate.

I throw the hell out of these and cant say enough good things about them.

For me it flies like a more stable Pure. Very point and shoot, without the Pure's understable drift.

Hopefully Bullets are easier to come by. Thought Space is a pricey option since pretty much every run is a special run.

As I recently bought one of each I can definitely say that the Mustang and Pathfinder are not the same disc. Not sure I have time this evening but I could post pictures of them side by side and they don't even look similar.

I can definitely disagree as I bag both and have since they both were released. Agree or disagree doesn't really matter too much to me as I know from a source within the company that makes their discs.

There may be very small differences between runs/plastics but that is the case with any company and any mold. The molds that I listed to be the same, I know for a fact they are the same.

Curious where you heard this. I only have a couple Mantra's by TSA, but I've been bagging Freetails for a couple months now. I throw the Freetail further than anything else, by far. I wasn't impressed at all by the Mantra a couple years ago. But when comparing the two today, they do look pretty damn similar.

The Mantra flew like a champ Sidewinder and the Freetail flies like a Mamba. Look pretty similar though tbh.

The plastic and runs matter. It's the same mold. Just different variances between plastics/runs

I can definitely disagree as I bag both and have since they both were released. Agree or disagree doesn't really matter too much to me as I know from a source within the company that makes their discs.

There may be very small differences between runs/plastics but that is the case with any company and any mold. The molds that I listed to be the same, I know for a fact they are the same.

I'll admit I only have one of each and maybe they molded up differently. Whether they are or are not the same mold the examples I have don't look similar. The Mustang has a higher shoulder, a more rounded over nose, and the lower half of the rim looks more concave. I may try and get pictures up tonight and you'll see why I thought they were different molds.

Mustang on left. Pathfinder on the right. I suppose they could have just molded up a little different but the lower wing angle doesn't look the same and for whatever reason the Mustang feels deeper but I didn't measure them. Hard to tell from the picture but the Mustang has a mild dome so maybe that's why it feels deeper to me.

be6fad268d3be98c0eba617297256d55.jpg