• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Recommend a Putter

mjdepue

Birdie Member
I'm wanting to audition a new putter but I haven't been keeping up with all of the new developments in the last 5 years (working my way back after a long time off). I thought I would take some recommendations. Thankfully, I live close enough to Marshall Street that I can make a trip over and handle stuff in person.

I use a McBeth-style bent arm pitch putt. Here are the putter's I've used.

Firm Wizard - I love how I can get these to do a quick up and down on a good putt. The downside is that I have to putt harder than I'm comfortable with to make this happen and I have a tendency to leave putts low. I tend to come back to Wizards because I've used them the longest and I really like Gateway plastic.

D-P2 - I like the stability of these but it's not super comfortable in my hand and I'd like a little more drop.

D-P1x - Felt pretty good in the hand but had a hard time ranging them because of the glide.

Firm Link - This was the closest thing to replacing Wizards but I could not get over the feel of the plastic and how susceptible it was to chipping. I liked a lot about it, but the plastic was a deal breaker.

Other notes:
- I tend to prefer putters with a bead, although it's not strictly a requirement if it feels comfortable.
- I tend not to like Trilogy plastic but I don't have as much experience with it so there may be blends I could like.

What are your suggestions?

Two suggestions: Kastaplast Reko in K3 plastic, and DD Marshal in Classic plastic.

Having said those, I might recommend "range time" i.e. lots of practice with the Wizard, until you're comfortable with them. Also see if you can find a Dave Dunipace video about the 'snake strike' throw, which might give you that extra bit of energy you need to get the Wizard in the chains.

Reko is a great mold if you want a little straighter than a wizard but similar feel. Problem is you (like I) like Gateway Firm. K3 (kastaplast base) is softer and tackier than a lot of plastic. I like it, but not foe putting putter.

Your best bet is a Firm (or PW or SB whatever feels the best) Voodoo. Very similar to the reko but in all the variety of gateway blends.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

wizard is like a brick and aviar/p2 has great glide

the mvp ion is right in the middle of wizard and aviar

If you like the Wizard but not the glide, try a Steady from DGA. Those discs are a better Wizard with all of the OS a Wizard has but with better glide. Steady is a Bangor GT sans the GT top the Bagor GT has, hence the Steady is closer to a Wizard then the Bangor GT.

350g PA3 meets your specs...

This could be a good one. They are a little shallower than the wizard, and have a flattish top. Plastic is great, too. Good beaded putter option.

I'd suggest a Judge, but it is kind of a wizard clone, little more glide and less fade. But, it may be too glidey for what your looking for.

SD suggested the Marshall, which is also up this alley. Beaded, but a small bead. Less glide than a judge. Classic plastic is pretty nice, but Prime isn't far off.. and cheaper. Both are kind of stiff, with the ladder being only slightly softer.

But, if you're used to the wizard and go back to it often, stick with it. They're apparently popular for a reason! (Too deep for my taste; semantics)

Basically any comfortable beaded putter. There are TONS - so I'd say what kinda feel do you want - thinner, or not so thin putter. then just feel em up and make a choice. Wizards are tried and true

You need to find a local store to try putters at. Figure out what feels good in your hand, then based off that we can make suggestions that are similar to it based off your stability preferences. Otherwise everyone is just going to tell you what Putter they use

Used the recommendations to make a shortlist and spent some time at Marshall Street.

I ended up going with the Stone Steady. Hand-feel is very similar to a Wizard--a bit thinner, a bit flatter.

Took them out for a round and these seem to be what I was hoping for--just a bit straighter with just a bit more glide than my Wizards.

Thanks all.