• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recycled Asphalt at Tees?

aardvarkious

Birdie Member
My club is putting in tee boxes this year (can't wait!). We were going to do concrete, but the Parks department isn't keen on it. They suggested we do recycled asphalt instead.

The big pro from my perspective: they will give it to us for free. And from what they told me, it is less labour than concrete. They are interested in it because they feel it will look better, and there is less concern about on going maintenance (or lack there of) and safety.

I don't have any experience with it. Has anyone ever used this? If so, how was it?

as long as it's based well and tampered down well should be fine. We made a side driveway for parking a boat etc next to garage at a rental property with RAP

We got it at a new course in our area and I'm a fan. It's very similar to gravel really, just you can pack it a little tighter. Now, it will initially be less labor, but down the road, who knows?

And for the above post, it's definitely not slick. Great traction, solid footing. It really is what it sounds like, small chunks of ground up asphalt packed down.

We have asphalt on the Steady Ed courses around here, and they can be a slick when wet.

I think they are better than rubber, but as mentioned they can get slick when wet in my limited experience with them.

how does it behave in bad conditions? sounds like it may potentially be slick.

Most asphalt is bc of fine grit and being petroleum based. You cold do some stuff to improve texture tho slightly given the product city has

I wonder if sealing it with driveway sealer would help to keep the oils and grit in to increase traction.

We have asphalt on the Steady Ed courses around here, and they can be a slick when wet.

I should add that the pads I'm talking about are probably 30 years old. I can't speak to how they were when they were newer.

Melvin Miller Park, they tried to lay asphalt themselves and it failed tremendously.
When the had the roads department do it, looked great, might last forever.

If its millings, it will be just like crushed rock or base with a binder. That can work well if compacted and if it still has a fair oil content. It won't be slick like a hot lay type asphalt. If it doesn't have enough oil in it, it will come up no matter how much you compact it. Repairs would be very easy, just tamp some more in the hole....just make sure it has some good or better oil content.

If its a hot or cold lay recycle mix, it will act just like regular asphalt on the roads.

A course here uses asphalt killings. I like it. Of course this course is well maintained. The larger pieces are removed to minimize slipping. Works great in any weather.

My club is putting in tee boxes this year (can't wait!). We were going to do concrete, but the Parks department isn't keen on it. They suggested we do recycled asphalt instead.

The big pro from my perspective: they will give it to us for free. And from what they told me, it is less labour than concrete. They are interested in it because they feel it will look better, and there is less concern about on going maintenance (or lack there of) and safety.

I don't have any experience with it. Has anyone ever used this? If so, how was it?

A concrete tee pad clearly has less maintenance than recycled asphalt that will wash away, create mud holes. You will be constantly raking it back to the center. You simply cannot tamp enough to prevent erosion and puddles. I have never seen it done outside of some barren dry landscape. Also, there is a potential for leeching of the asphalt chemicals; 1 of our parks wont allow RR ties for that reason. Concrete is always the way to go. It would be like the park department thinking crushed asphalt looks better for a basketball court!! THATS NOT HOW THE COURSE IS SUPPOSED TO BE! IMO Concrete tees done correctly is how the course should be built. Just like concrete or asphalt for Tennis and Basketball courts. They wouldnt put down wood chips or gravel for those, and they shouldnt do it for a disc golf course.

Maybe I read the post incorrectly...are they going to lay asphalt, like making a short road, or simply put down the gravel. If they lay it, concrete is still better. We have all seen how asphalt roads chip off along the edges. Concrete is much better.

recycled asphalt can be heated with a big torch, and then compacted with a plate type compactor.
creating a very firm, road like surface.
if there is sufficient oil left in the RAP. (fresh grindings)

A concrete tee pad clearly has less maintenance than recycled asphalt that will wash away, create mud holes. You will be constantly raking it back to the center. You simply cannot tamp enough to prevent erosion and puddles.

while the prep work is much more extensive it is definitely possible and does require more regular maintenance but you can have class 5 last years without much issue even being driven on with vehicles when prepped right and done properly.

Is concrete better 99% of the time? sure. but not an end all be all and often tampered class 5 type material is used as a base for concretes. You can prevent erosion and puddles from controlling the ground water run off.

That is because they were not done right probably. IMPO, it will be extremely difficult to get a good product with recycled asphalt, be it millings or other. I have put down thousands of tons of the stuff.....some works well and stays put, some is like putting down dry gravel. Its too inconsistent. Its fine for parking lots, paths and things like that. But a tee pad needs some stability and durability if its to be considered an improved surface. Otherwise, its no better than a dirt tee. From my experience with this stuff, if its not done perfectly in all regards, a dirt tee would be preferable.

...We have all seen how asphalt roads chip off along the edges...

But that's because cars weigh 3 tons. I know we got some big fat DGers [I'm thinkin' t.hizzle, prerube-:D], but properly installed [not by novices], it should last a long time.

Hiller Park MS had pads poured just over a year ago, and as a package deal, the contractor painted the tees with some heavy enamel [a dark tan to match the surrounding dead grass--way to go, city planners:|]. It was horrible, but fortunately he didn't treat the surface beforehand and about 3/4s of them have lost their paint.

Last edited:

Latest posts