• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reducing Disc Drag

Moify

Birdie Member
Now that I'm finally getting the results and accuracy I wanted from the power grip, I was looking into what causes disc drag and how to reduce it. I read the Jenkins article, and in each of his grips he talks about and illustrates "raising the base of the thumb to reduce drag," yet this feels a bit awkward and uncomfortable to my grip, mainly because I feel like more thumb contact would mean greater control.

In contrast, the "Grip it to Rip it" article on DGR seems to suggest keeping the base of the thumb down on the disc.

How detrimental is the base of the thumb (on top of the disc) to disc drag? What is your experience with it, and what feels more comfortable? Also, what are some other things regarding disc drag that I can look to avoid?

I can slow you down. Just like the fan grip pushing across the flight plane

I can slow you down. Just like the fan grip pushing across the flight plane

Please don't slow me down. :D

But yeah, you just mean any contact with the disc? I typically wouldn't throw fan on a drive, anyway. But after looking at some of Mike C's vids I think it makes more sense to have the joint of the thumb raised instead of lying flat on the disc.

Latest posts