• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refusing to Be Filmed

.... "At the same time, we don't want to squelch their personalities or force them to be someone they're not."

Seems like they are not too strict given the statement and then contradiction :)

No condriction, just an unsaid part. "Our company's acknowledgement of varience of personalities does not infer blind acceptance of an endorsees behavior or continued support and endorsement. Our association is at will."

It's an unpopular take because it ignores many, many facts. Rather than cite them here I'd encourage you just to peruse the PDGA's reports...and keep in mind the PDGA membership is a small subset of the larger player base.

Your platform is based entirely upon conjecture, and while it's fine to have that opinion, you need to understand that it's a specific slant on the state of the game, not even-handed pragmatism

Who cares if disc golfers don't make tens of millions, the top earners on tour are getting closer to the US median income without factoring endorsements (only tourney purses), and a handful of pros are earning six figures in total already. My generation and those younger don't really care as much about that status symbol though. The success of this game is sewn in with the cultural zeitgeist as much as it is the merits of the game itself.

Will it one day fall again? Absolutely. There are plenty of examples - bowling, golf, etc. but to pretend that something isn't happening because you don't want it to...I just don't get that mentality.

You are correct, JT. My take is conjecture, but based on my involvement in other niche sports and involvement in this game for over three decades. In the last 17 years, since my joining the PDGA, there have been about 100,000 new members. Assuming they all have continued to play, I don't call that significant growth. Agree that this only represents a fraction of the new players. I am not even belittling this growth, but it is tiny potatoes in comparison to a plethora of other niche sports. Nobody loves the game more than me, but to think it has a big stage future seems myopic. Assuming that was your stance.

For the record, I never said I did not want to see the game explode....just that I don't think that is the future.

You are correct, JT. My take is conjecture, but based on my involvement in other niche sports and involvement in this game for over three decades. In the last 17 years, since my joining the PDGA, there have been about 100,000 new members. Assuming they all have continued to play, I don't call that significant growth. Agree that this only represents a fraction of the new players. I am not even belittling this growth, but it is tiny potatoes in comparison to a plethora of other niche sports. Nobody loves the game more than me, but to think it has a big stage future seems myopic. Assuming that was your stance.

For the record, I never said I did not want to see the game explode....just that I don't think that is the future.

Well I think that's where we're talking past each other. Maybe at one time years back I thought we'd be on ESPN next to the NBA and all that, but I don't think that's our path.

However, I don't think it's a I/O "ESPN or frisbees in the woods" scenario either. I think niche is the new mainstream. Craft beer, small-menu restaurants, disposable income going towards experiences over objects, niche sports, DIY weddings, etc. This may seem like an eclectic list, but just some examples that I've noticed (or lived) which illustrates how Millennials and GenZ are switching the style up.

I'm seeing big companies completely change their advertising paradigms to individually target smaller groups/communities. Dying is the "lowest common denominator" method, now it's about resonating with uniqueness. All of this is a big benefit to disc golf.

Well I think that's where we're talking past each other. Maybe at one time years back I thought we'd be on ESPN next to the NBA and all that, but I don't think that's our path.

However, I don't think it's a I/O "ESPN or frisbees in the woods" scenario either. I think niche is the new mainstream. Craft beer, small-menu restaurants, disposable income going towards experiences over objects, niche sports, DIY weddings, etc. This may seem like an eclectic list, but just some examples that I've noticed (or lived) which illustrates how Millennials and GenZ are switching the style up.

I'm seeing big companies completely change their advertising paradigms to individually target smaller groups/communities. Dying is the "lowest common denominator" method, now it's about resonating with uniqueness. All of this is a big benefit to disc golf.

Good post, JT. I don't know that I agree, I don't thinks things change as much as you might. But, I hope you are right.

I am not trying to be obtuse, just pragmatic. I honestly believe that this sport will never be big. It is not really good for viewing or spectating. It is unheard of by most of the world and will never be more than a niche sport.....behind activities like bike riding, running, badminton, or horseshoes. You can find videos of top professional competitions in all of the above, but they will never ascend to being anything more than low income touring jobs. It might be an unpopular take, but I have always seen it this way.

It's gotten kind of funny when people make statements like this about badminton, the second most popular sport in the world behind soccer. In 2013, the top earner in badminton won approximately $300,000 in prize winnings alone. His net worth is estimated to be $35 Million. Top cyclists earn several million per year. The 5 top runners all earn several million a year, at least. You might be right on horseshoes, but even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

Wow. 300 grand for a game that reminds me of netting Butterflies? Dude is living the dream.

That's the thing about sports that become popular in India and Southeast Asia, there are a whole lot of people in that part of the world...Lots of eyes turns into lots of sponsor money...

Now all we need is DG to get popular in southeast Asia. Can you imagine some of the courses you could build in those jungles...:D

Last edited:
Half of my junior college was of asian decent. Taking badminton for 7am PE was eye opening, and a lot of fun. Not that i watch others playing, but it is huge.
A better niche comparison would be pro hacky sack.
Most folks would still rather watch a good juggler.

That's the thing about sports that become popular in India and Southeast Asia, there are a whole lot of people in that part of the world...Lots of eyes turns into lots of sponsor money...

Now all we need is DG to get popular in southeast Asia. Can you imagine some of the courses you could build in those jungles...:D

That would open up the door for the 1st course ever to have a "Beware of Tigers" sign. :clap:

I assume he's referring to Ledgestone 2015 Final 9. Link goes to the worst of it. In JohnE's defense, this hole was a disaster of a bad design and has since been taken out of the course, I believe.

Holy hell that was painful to watch. i honestly don't know what was worse; the poor girl caught on camera missing the garbage can at two feet with her water bottle, or the fact that was indeed a final nine hole, or Johnie losing his composure on such a lame hole.

I am not trying to be obtuse, just pragmatic. I honestly believe that this sport will never be big. It is not really good for viewing or spectating. It is unheard of by most of the world and will never be more than a niche sport.....behind activities like bike riding, running, badminton, or horseshoes. You can find videos of top professional competitions in all of the above, but they will never ascend to being anything more than low income touring jobs. It might be an unpopular take, but I have always seen it this way.

But, I do believe that the sport will continue to see nice slow steady increases in casual players.

I agree and disagree with you to an extent. I don't think it is realistic to look at the current state of disc golf and declare we are destined for the big time, however I do think the sport has the potential to be much bigger than it is now. I don't want to write a whole novel explaining every single point I could make in detail but I will say this.

I grew up across the lagoon from Kennedy Space Center. My pops was an engineer out there and I did all the space camps, tours and watched every VIP launch from the Cape side that I could go to. NASA, all the big aerospace companies and the military were and are heavily focused on inspiring the next generation of Cape employees, even well before STEM became a subject of discussion on the national scale.

Today I saw a video on reddit of Philo absolutely blowing the socks off a group of kids just by throwing a stupid piece of plastic and that gives me hope. This is EXACTLY the type of reaction all that outreach is going for, and if the multi-billion (multi-trillion worldwide) industry is doing the exact same thing that has to amount to something.

Here is the link to the vid is anyone is interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/8f6e5j/philo_sends_one_and_the_kids_lose_it_sound_on/

Wow. 300 grand for a game that reminds me of netting Butterflies? Dude is living the dream.

Had a badminton class in college. It's not like the backyard BBQ with the family kind of stuff. Playing "real" badminton is intense.

That would open up the door for the 1st course ever to have a "Beware of Tigers" sign. :clap:
timg would have to add a course Death Wish List feature, and we would have a thread titled, Beware the hole on 8, I stuck a King Cobra in it. :popcorn:

Latest posts