• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refusing to Be Filmed

thedrew300

Eagle Member
At an A-Tier event in Arkansas this past weekend, JohnE McCray. Asked not to be filmed during his final round. I don't know the story, but I've never heard of this before. This wasn't Jomez or CCDG providing coverage, but have you ever heard of players asking to not be filmed during a round?

Pretty sure the PDGA states that you CAN be filmed and you waive that right at sanctioned events.

Was the person filming official? By which I mean had the permission of the TD to be there filming the round?

If it was just some random person filming the round on his own, then JohnE may have been within his rights to ask not to be filmed. If it was someone with permission, essentially official media covering the tourney, then McCray is obligated to allow himself to be filmed.

Right from the Competition Manual: 3.06 A. All participants agree that the PDGA and its agents may publish photographs and images of their participation at PDGA-sanctioned events.

If he's playing a PDGA event and the TD (a representative of the PDGA) has contracted or given permission to a photographer/videographer, a player can't object to being photographed or filmed.

What JC said, and although it's very hard for me to give John E the benefit of the doubt as historically he comes off as a sort of a D-Bag in my eyes, I could understand a pro telling some random person no given the amount of skill/tact required to film a card in a way that does not affect play (as far as being in the right place/noise/etc). If it wasn't sanctioned for the person to be there then the whole card needs to sign off on it ahead of time.

That said, I think the majority of the players would allow it.

Funny enough, when I heard Jonothan Gomez being interviewed he had mentioned the start of the whole Jomez thing was a result of him simply moving past the spectator line with no permission at all and he began filing pro worlds (Portland maybe?) and he said he thought for sure he would be kicked out by staff, but nobody said a word and the rest is history.

Wow, I'm shocked...appalled...dumbfounded!!!! JEM being a DB??? SOSDD

Anybody remember the photographer from 2015 Worlds that kept moving when Paul was trying to putt? I thought Marty posted the full video, but I can't find it.

Here is the end of the long sequence when Paul finally putts, and the guy moves AGAIN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBSZnz4TXek&t=817s

Maybe the videographer, in this case, was acting like that guy. :doh: Of course, we only have the vague information from OP, so we truly can't form an opinion.

Was the person filming official? By which I mean had the permission of the TD to be there filming the round?

If it was just some random person filming the round on his own, then JohnE may have been within his rights to ask not to be filmed. If it was someone with permission, essentially official media covering the tourney, then McCray is obligated to allow himself to be filmed.

Right from the Competition Manual: 3.06 A. All participants agree that the PDGA and its agents may publish photographs and images of their participation at PDGA-sanctioned events.

If he's playing a PDGA event and the TD (a representative of the PDGA) has contracted or given permission to a photographer/videographer, a player can't object to being photographed or filmed.

I feel like this is the relevant part of the discussion. I've reached out to the TD and videographer to find out more.

Whoa now cnn.... (I mean dgcr). Let's find out if this actually happened before we get all hippety hoppety.

From the YT description:

2018 Final Round coverage of the lead card on the front nine. JohnE McCray, Nick Wood, Joel Freeman and Eric Oakley tackle the windy and cold conditions in search for victory. NOTE: JohnE McCray's footage was edited out per request after requesting him not t be filmed part way into the round.

So McCray was filmed, but ... huh?

Were "antics" involved?

I feel like this is the relevant part of the discussion. I've reached out to the TD and videographer to find out more.

It's not. If a photographer/videographer is in a place where they are entitled to be (e.g., a public place) then they do not need anyone's permission to photograph/film.

Latest posts