• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regionally Thrown Discs

The strikers are pretty sweet. they go from way stable to pretty understable depending on runs. All the ones I tossed I liked.

We have a group that gets together at Earlwood in Columbia on weekends, and slowly almost everyone now has a blowfly putter in their bags because of the hills.

I haven't a clue....even though I play a lot, ultimately I only play with a tiny percentage of players in the area and, at that, don't always know what discs they threw. (Though the blowflies are pretty conspicuous).

Owning a small retail store and selling discs at 3 or 4 tournaments a year, I'd say.....no real pattern. We see more Discraft devotees appearing, though.

On a recent trip to Kentucky nobody knew what my ION was....I think they all thought it was some retarded beginner disc or a dog toy....I swear they were snickering behind my back.

There are a lot of OLD Omega Super Softs flying around Johnson City TN... a lot!
Old ones too... like 1.6's. I've never seen so many. At least 10 guys have one.

I know cuz I carry a few and was overly jealous of the ones I saw up there.

Haven't seen too many DARTS in Asheville???
Rhynos in Knoxville is true though.
DSCJNKY

Either the GGGT staff has done a wonderful job weening people off the Boss, or people are getting smarter. Or, more likely they are obsessed with the Nuke. Outside of my bag, the only other Boss I have seen recently was a R-Pro Boss. He was only throwing it out of spite because everyone tells him he should not be throwing it. Beyond that, everyone owns a Nuke. I see more ESP than Zs, but if you look in everyone's bag they have at least one Nuke. I even saw a guy throwing a Nuke-X at the last tournament.

for some reason, none of my friends were throwing buzzzes until after i put a Z one in my bag. now, everyone i play with carries at least one buzzz

there are also a lot of people around here that swear by gateway putters, but i assume thats the same just about everywhere

out of the few people that i've played with outside of my core group, the most common discs i see are

aviar and buzzz

after that it's

boss, destroyer, katana, groove

popular discs i really never see much of

roc, anything lat 64 or vibram, very little discraft

good variety around here

Usually most people throw Innova and Discraft 'round these parts...although Gateway putters are starting to show up more often.

Typically between 165--175 grams for most discs. ;)

FWIW, I have only seen 1 guy carry and actually throw a groove.

Around Indianapolis most people throw strictly innova, or innova with a nuke or buzzz / wasp in the bag. Very few of us who only throw discraft. I know plenty of people who love gateway putters around these parts, outside of those most are throwing aviars, magnets, and challengers. One putter / midrange that is starting to gain some attention is the discraft zone. I have at least a few buddies that are switching to those for windy days, and approach shots.

And yes, like everywhere else we see plenty of bosses, katanas, and nukes in most people's bags. Everyone likes the long range discs.

I see alot of people throwing the beast around Houston for some reason. I am the only one I have seen who throws Lat64 and Vibram.

No consistency here, except for a large number of Katanas. Seems about half the people have one.

We have too many travelers come through to develop a preference beyond 'Innova' or 'DISCRAFT'.

A lot of Vibram putters have been popping up. I would say that it is due to a Vibram team member being around and a local dg shop promoting the heck out of the brand. Latitude 64 is starting to draw a crowd too. But I would say there are more Buzz throwers around here than Roc throwers. At least that is my experience.

out of the few people that i've played with outside of my core group, the most common discs i see are

aviar and buzzz

after that it's

boss, destroyer, katana, groove

popular discs i really never see much of

roc, anything lat 64 or vibram, very little discraft

I know at Roscoe, I've seen more Discraft lately and I think it has a lot to do with MC Sports in town carrying more Discraft than Innova now but before that, I saw a lot of Valks, Beasts, Destroyers, Wraiths and Boss. Especially Destroyers, probably more due to Avery than anything.

One guy there a while ago never heard of the Core and Ion I had and would probably give me another confused look since I have the River in the bag, along with a couple Ridges, and the Ions as well for now.

Here it seems a lot of people are using stuff that's super fast, Wraith, Boss, Katana, Destroyer, Nuke, and such. Most people have a buzzz' though also.