• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Release Drills? Help for crappy release

Kursk

Bogey Member
I've been slowly isolating hitches in my throw. So, I was noticing that my discs are having nearly textbook flight paths, just at the wrong angles from where I'm standing. My distances and flight paths are just about right, but inevitably off angle.

So, is there anything I can do to fix early/late releases? It's really random. :wall:

Depends on what is causing those issues, grip, plane alignment, rounded pull line, sequencing/ timing. Also are You talking FH or bh? Also a flat swing plane will have more variance than a hyzer or anhyzer swing plane.

It's RHBH. That's the throw I'm working on. Looking at the way the discs are flying, it has to be a time of release issue. Usually, I can feel that it released way early or way late. It doesn't snap in my brain until it's to late.

How are you approaching the teepad? If you're only off by a bit you could change the angle of how you run across the pad. I know that helped me when I was all over the place. I still am, but for other reasons.

It's RHBH. That's the throw I'm working on. Looking at the way the discs are flying, it has to be a time of release issue. Usually, I can feel that it released way early or way late. It doesn't snap in my brain until it's to late.

Are you deciding when to release by physically letting go of the disc? Or is it ripping from your hand?

I had a friend who had a similar problem and what he was doing was trying to time the release by letting go of the disc rather than accelerating it while squeezing down to a point that the disc ejects from your hand by force.

Zero approach. I'm driving from a standstill until I get the hitches out of my swing. I noticed if I do a few slow warm up or practice strokes, the release is usually much better. I've been trying to pay attention to when I release. Sometimes, it just slips out early. Others, the disc just seems to be in my hand as I go past my target. It's like I know where I should release, but I can't get that info to my hands.

Zero approach. I'm driving from a standstill until I get the hitches out of my swing. I noticed if I do a few slow warm up or practice strokes, the release is usually much better. I've been trying to pay attention to when I release. Sometimes, it just slips out early. Others, the disc just seems to be in my hand as I go past my target. It's like I know where I should release, but I can't get that info to my hands.

From what I have found its a balance between how hard you are gripping it and how hard you are flinging it. If your grip is loose for the power you are putting on the disc it will come out early. If the grip is too tight for the power you will release late. The main thing is getting a consistent release, even if it is not "straight" because once it is at least consistent you can adjust your aim to get it straight and keep the release.

Try going through your swing with a real hammer slowly enough to not hurt anything. You should feel all the momentum release target ward (not left or right) to where the hammer would fly far and the spin on the hammer is just a byproduct of flying far. Then throw the disc like the hammer, you should have created enough momentum on the hammer side of the disc to make it heavy like a hammer.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21385
Pink Hammer:
snaphammer.png

This video is really about driving power but it also helped me a lot with consistent release. It is worth a look for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo

Thanks. His drill makes a ton of sense to me.

Try going through your swing with a real hammer slowly enough to not hurt anything. You should feel all the momentum release target ward (not left or right) to where the hammer would fly far and the spin on the hammer is just a byproduct of flying far. Then throw the disc like the hammer, you should have created enough momentum on the hammer side of the disc to make it heavy like a hammer.

Pink Hammer:
snaphammer.png

Aha. More sense. So, do y'all physically "let go" of the disc or does it more slip out of the grip at the apex of the throw? Physics wise, it would make sense that if my grip is right, it should slip out at the apex with little prompting.

I know one thing that really helped me with my release (and this could be WAY off for your particular problem) was making sure I had the right wrist angle. When you're holding your disc, your hand should be at the same angle it is when you go to shake someone's hand. This helps keep the disc on plane with your forearm, which seems to help transferring the most power to your disc, and it seems to force the correct release point.

Hope that helps, if not, sorry for sounding like a dumb dumb...

So, do y'all physically "let go" of the disc or does it more slip out of the grip at the apex of the throw? Physics wise, it would make sense that if my grip is right, it should slip out at the apex with little prompting.

When I started making sure my wrist was at the right angle, it started to rip out at the right time, without any conscious decision on my part...

Aha. More sense. So, do y'all physically "let go" of the disc or does it more slip out of the grip at the apex of the throw? Physics wise, it would make sense that if my grip is right, it should slip out at the apex with little prompting.
Don't let go, a slip is still technically early release, a rip is closer. You should be gripping hard pulling/swinging the edge of the disc around and the disc will eject from all the momentum built up on it and the hand can no longer hold on.

Don't let go, a slip is still technically early release, a rip is closer. You should be gripping hard pulling/swinging the edge of the disc around and the disc will eject from all the momentum built up on it and the hand can no longer hold on.

its that feeling that's so hard to pin point because it happens so fast. I can visualize this the way you describe it, but damn its hard to put into action.

Pink Hammer:
snaphammer.png

Great post sidewinder22! :clap:

The pictures remind me of lagging a golf club. The wrist hinge increases as you move towards impact (the hit), and the stored energy is released at the last possible instant. Does that seem like a correct assessment? Either way, I had fun with it in a field today. I can't say for sure if I was throwing further than my previous style, but it sure seemed to require less effort to throw similar distance. I was aiming in between two trees a couple hundred feet away and nailing the gap every single throw.

Latest posts