• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Removing flashing...

If I find the flashing uncomfortable I use a picnic table or stump. As for sandpaper, probably 600 would work good

I just use a box cutter. Make sure the blade is sharp and go to town. I work in a sign shop and have many hours behind a blade so it is really easy for me.

I have seen many a disc ruined using box cutters. I won't do it, plus I am accident prone and would probably slice myself.

Rubbing it flat on a concrete teepad, sidewalk or other non-blacktop hard surface will do the trick. No tools, no supplies, no effort...

I had felt that doing anything to a disc that would modify it was illegal, but after reading the rules apparantly it is not, courtesy of PDGA Rule Book 802.01 section C. But the rule does state that it is up to a TD to determine whether or not the modification would be legal or not, which is a HUGE grey area in the rules. Making it a judgement call leaves a large gap in what would be acceptable and what would not. BUT who is going to approach a TD before a tourney with a modified disc before a tourney and ask if it is legal to use? The only way would be someone on a card noticing his counterpart was using a modified disc and then saying something to an official about it. Off topic, i know, but worth noting. Don't go out of the way to do too much or get too fancy with your modification, too much is no good

I have never had a disc with enough flashing for me to justify removing it. However, when I do eventually get one that necessitates it, I will use either high grit sand paper or a tree pad. Someone mentioned that Discraft uses a flashing removing machine... Why doesn't innova invest in one as well?

I haven't encountered one with enough on the outside to make a difference but what about in the middle? Most of the discs I have have a little nipple that sticks down and a bit of flashing around that. Is that something I should be concerned with or just don't worry? A couple of the used ones I have its been removed.

I haven't encountered one with enough on the outside to make a difference but what about in the middle? Most of the discs I have have a little nipple that sticks down and a bit of flashing around that. Is that something I should be concerned with or just don't worry? A couple of the used ones I have its been removed.

I don't think the nipple and excess plastic around the "areola" is going to affect its flight. I think what most people are referring to here is the excess plastic around the bottom of the wing, which if not dealt with will cut up your hand.

Sandpaper does the trick for me.

I have used concrete and asphalt in the past as well.

Haven't had to do this too often thankfully. Minor flashing, just a little concrete from the tee pad works fine. Heavier flash I just bring it in to work and use one of the deburring tools in the shop. :thmbup:

BrassCraft-T090-rw-254538-356892.jpg

If I want the disc understable it will be a grinding wheel on my drill. If I want the disc neutral it will be sand paper.

Sometimes the flashing helps a disc - like a new Viking should have some flashing and they're awesomesauce stable.

The first disc I ever tried to de-flash, well, I took too much off and the damn thing (Orc) was still super overstable, but no longer Nuke OS overstable.

Now I take a kitchen knife and work it back and forth along the flash like <-\ and then /-> so the blade doesn't dig in. I can angle the knife and get a rounded contour. It worked like magic on my recent Star Beast and GL Pain purchases. It takes a while but I don't mind. I'd recommend, for other people, sand paper.

As a new player, I had no idea what flashing was until I read it on here. Last night the flashing on my Northman started to bother me (only because I realized that sharp edge isn't necessarily supposed to be there), so I tried scraping it off on a tee pad and that didn't really work fast enough. So I used a small razor on my keychain and I got about half of the disc smooth and said eff it because it was taking too long. With the flashing half scraped off I threw it a bunch during the round and it really changed the flight of the disc. I'm hoping when I take the other half off it will be back to normal...

As a new player, I had no idea what flashing was until I read it on here. Last night the flashing on my Northman started to bother me (only because I realized that sharp edge isn't necessarily supposed to be there), so I tried scraping it off on a tee pad and that didn't really work fast enough. So I used a small razor on my keychain and I got about half of the disc smooth and said eff it because it was taking too long. With the flashing half scraped off I threw it a bunch during the round and it really changed the flight of the disc. I'm hoping when I take the other half off it will be back to normal...

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but once you remove the flashing it will never fly the same again. The flashing creates added drag in the air and creates extra stability. When you remove it, it will fly less stable, but should also have a little bit more glide.

I'm pretty sure that Discraft has a deflashing machine they use.

This is why my brother throws Discraft. He's never considered removing the flashing; he's a no-nonsense guy. If it doesn't feel good in the hand naturally, it doesn't get thrown. But there's nothing wrong with all Discraft. :)

Because it can cut your finger or scrape your skin off or something?

I have never had this happen with any disc. Maybe I just don't grip the things hard enough. Oh well! There goes my form! :) Seriously, though, I have never had a purchased or loot disc possess so much flashing that I was afraid to damage my beautiful throwing hand.

my northman had incredible flashing on it...like i've never fel/seen before..it hurt my fingers the first couple of throws but now it's all good....i leave it on and let it wear itself off naturally.

Okay Ya'll,

Here's the way to remove flash. Take it from a manufacturer. Use a propane torch. But not too excessively,... Waft (okay, this is plastics-guy language..) it across the flashed area and the excess plastic will shrink away towards the body of plastic. Be careful not to concentrate the flame directly on the flash area. It does take some technique. But breeze the flame across the flash area. It works on the sprue (center area) too, and on the outside diameter of the disc.

Flash is an indicator of wear on the mold. Either too many parts have been molded beyond the life of the tool steel, or way too many parts have hung up in the mold and have been smashed, damaging the parting line.

Try it. It's an old school way of removing flash.

Craig

Okay Ya'll,

Here's the way to remove flash. Take it from a manufacturer. Use a propane torch. But not too excessively,... Waft (okay, this is plastics-guy language..) it across the flashed area and the excess plastic will shrink away towards the body of plastic. Be careful not to concentrate the flame directly on the flash area. It does take some technique. But breeze the flame across the flash area. It works on the sprue (center area) too, and on the outside diameter of the disc.

Flash is an indicator of wear on the mold. Either too many parts have been molded beyond the life of the tool steel, or way too many parts have hung up in the mold and have been smashed, damaging the parting line.

Try it. It's an old school way of removing flash.

Craig

I think there are far too many dumb people who would burn their discs.

I have never had this happen with any disc. Maybe I just don't grip the things hard enough. Oh well! There goes my form! :) Seriously, though, I have never had a purchased or loot disc possess so much flashing that I was afraid to damage my beautiful throwing hand.

I have never had this with Innova or Discraft, but I have had some NASTY Lat 64 flashing.

Latest posts