• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Renaissance Park - You have to see this course to believe it!

Yes it is, however it is played by hundreds of 2 disc'rs. It has a Gold and a Grey layout now. Directional signage is on its way but the course still lacks that element and many reviews note it. We hope to be getting good tee signs soon too to aid in navigation. Old holes 11 and 12 and that shorter loop that doesnt force you around gold 11-13 are back in. Kudos to all the work to get it back to its old Renny Original layout, but with some new twists like only one basket on hole 2, 3 etc.

Its a lovely place. If you come to town and watch some of the beginners they actually learn alot. You are pretty much forced to learn alot otherwise you will searching for days for stuff! RIP to my nightshift orc @ hole#2!

Yeah, I'm coming to CLT for a bachelor party like weekend and we're hitting the course each day. I see Hornet's has a tourney on Sat/Sun so we'll avoid that by playing Fri or Mon. I'm teaching two friends the joys of dg and don't want to deal with courses that are so hard they aren't fun, and we will each have 3 discs (Volt, Axis, Anode), so we don't want to lose discs either. Although it sucks, I just might have to suck it up and admit Renny isn't a good course for my group.

I appreciate the suggestion Tadd! In the last 15 minutes I began looking more into RL Smith and Winget :D

Yes it is, however it is played by hundreds of 2 disc'rs. It has a Gold and a Grey layout now. Directional signage is on its way but the course still lacks that element and many reviews note it. We hope to be getting good tee signs soon too to aid in navigation. Old holes 11 and 12 and that shorter loop that doesnt force you around gold 11-13 are back in. Kudos to all the work to get it back to its old Renny Original layout, but with some new twists like only one basket on hole 2, 3 etc.

They took out the short basket on 2? Is the mando still in effect from the short tee?

Yeah, I'm coming to CLT for a bachelor party like weekend and we're hitting the course each day. I see Hornet's has a tourney on Sat/Sun so we'll avoid that by playing Fri or Mon. I'm teaching two friends the joys of dg and don't want to deal with courses that are so hard they aren't fun, and we will each have 3 discs (Volt, Axis, Anode), so we don't want to lose discs either. Although it sucks, I just might have to suck it up and admit Renny isn't a good course for my group.

Avoid renny if that is the case. Possibly Elon Angry and Nevin as well. There are plenty of good courses that will not be AS hard in the area and still offer some fun challenge.

Most of the other courses will fit in. Scrapyard has a chance for a lost disc in the water. Otherwise have fun and check as many out as possible

Winget is super fun and not bad for beginners (adult fairly athletic beginners, that is). RLSmith is awesome but certainly more punishing. Not like Renny and Nevin and Angry, but still.

Love me some Renny Gold. Second favorite course right behind Flyboy, with who knows what at a distant third. It's just on another level.

Winget is super fun and not bad for beginners (adult fairly athletic beginners, that is). RLSmith is awesome but certainly more punishing. Not like Renny and Nevin and Angry, but still.

You should see some of the beginner kids in the area that play it daily. These little guys will blow your mind.

They took out the short basket on 2? Is the mando still in effect from the short tee?

Not sure...that entire tree fell down recently (not sure when) Dont know why you would want to go that way, I don't see how it is a benefit...and from the short why you would want to go aroudn the outside. I would imagine that to simplify things Stan could be talked into removing that Mando, but unless something has changed recently, you can't determine where the mando is because the tree fell down.

Also the Mando's appear to be removed on 16. they were put in when Duke power trimmed that woods. Now it is all grown in again and pointless to have the 2 mando's directing you left or right.

Not sure...that entire tree fell down recently (not sure when) Dont know why you would want to go that way, I don't see how it is a benefit...and from the short why you would want to go aroudn the outside. I would imagine that to simplify things Stan could be talked into removing that Mando, but unless something has changed recently, you can't determine where the mando is because the tree fell down.

Also the Mando's appear to be removed on 16. they were put in when Duke power trimmed that woods. Now it is all grown in again and pointless to have the 2 mando's directing you left or right.

I think that mando was only effect from the short tee. As to why? Just to play it safe in a tourney. If I don't need the deuce but want to guarantee a three it's a simple spike up and around to the grass on the other side.

I never even bothered to go over the top on 16 I'm not Schwebby haha.

Yea, for 16 it wasnt over top, they cut down all the trees in the front, you had a straight shot through the woods at it and on 3, a jump putt to the big tree then an upshot to the basket is the same thing as the spike hyzer. Both still have a chance of rolling down that drop off past the basket...now you have to play to the far basket, though I am unsure what the new par is now from the short pad. Havent thrown it to see if there is a viable shot to the basket. Might be a 3.5 since the mando tree fell and took some with it, there is a more generous gap in the hyzer side for a layup second shot to the basket peak.

Good news regardless. I was always bummed about not being able to play the long pin on 2 when playing the regular Renny layout.

Now that I think about it, 2 from the short pad might even be a better hole for the gold level players than it is from the long pad. Long pad it's just a big hyzer then lay up for 3. Short pad with the mando tree gone and supposedly more room up the gut gives the opportunity to try to run the green and a much bigger risk/reward factor.

Avoid renny if that is the case. Possibly Elon Angry and Nevin as well. There are plenty of good courses that will not be AS hard in the area and still offer some fun challenge.

Most of the other courses will fit in. Scrapyard has a chance for a lost disc in the water. Otherwise have fun and check as many out as possible

You forgot to tell them to make the trip out to Bradford!

Now that I think about it, 2 from the short pad might even be a better hole for the gold level players than it is from the long pad. Long pad it's just a big hyzer then lay up for 3. Short pad with the mando tree gone and supposedly more room up the gut gives the opportunity to try to run the green and a much bigger risk/reward factor.

Whew, MUCH bigger is right. Even from the shorts, you'd have to rip something on a frozen rope to hit the gold green complex...unless the short now has a higher ceiling thru the gap than I'm remembering.

Mark mentioned the mando tree fell down and took some stuff with it, so it sounds like that gap opened up.

For us mere mortals that run at the gold green might seem silly in competitive play, but for gold-level players I think that is a doable shot if they choose to go for it.

Playing 2 from the short pad to the elevated basket is a blast. There is no mando, like Huey said the tree fell down. I did t rim out each side more and also trimmed branches higher up to allow for more air space for the drive.

Latest posts