• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Renaissance Park

So this really went in a different direction than intended. I was just wondering what to do with the course page :)

Leave it for now and Ill get you all the updates after the Tim Selinske, I dont know if we have to return any of the new baskets to Innova.

Yep, just providing completeness of data --- with Rock Hill being in the Charlotte MSA and many people considering it a "Charlotte" course --- realizing, as you note, that the designers and maintainers are completely different people.

It definitely appeared "strange" to outsiders when this area had overlaps at Renny, Hornets, Kilborne (sort of), and Winthrop.

Yea, as a designer I can see how it would be hard to build a pretty good course, but then really want to have a baller expert level course for tournaments after. Especially when you lack the properties to do it. Web and Gold are great layouts, the problem was with the details...signage direction and website maintenance.

I know of a pretty good private course, a daytrip away from Charlotte, that also has overlapping layouts. Like Winthop, you can't blame it on Charlotte, either.

Do I understand correctly, that Renske and the Gray/Black/whatever layout do not overlap at all? I haven't been there since Renske was created, but my impression was that it created 2 separate layouts, with the Gold overlapping parts of both of them. Is that right? Or close to right?

Do I understand correctly, that Renske and the Gray/Black/whatever layout do not overlap at all? I haven't been there since Renske was created, but my impression was that it created 2 separate layouts, with the Gold overlapping parts of both of them. Is that right? Or close to right?

Ha ha, I was so confused I stopped asking. I haven't been there either. My impression was that Renske overlapped the *LAND* of the Gold course, but didn't use any of the same baskets or tees!

Gold/Grey used some same tees, some same baskets, and totally diverged at other points --- same with Hornets (and Winthrop). Unless I'm totally wrong!

Renske and Grey/Pro/whatever do not overlap.

Renske uses the teepads, fairways and baskets of 11-13 on Gold (just chopped into smaller segments).

ddc34c27.jpg

Last edited:
Renske teepad for #14 is the same teepad as Gold #11. Renske #17 and #18 play down the fairway and finish at the Gold #11 basket. Renske #1 and #2 play down Gold #12s fairway and finish at the Gold 12 basket. Renske #8 starts on Gold #13s teepad and Renske #11 and #12 play along fairway finishing with Renske #12 and Gold #13 sharing a basket. Confused yet?

Renske and Grey/Pro/whatever do not overlap.

Renske uses the teepads, fairways and baskets of 11-13 on Gold (just chopped into smaller segments).

Thanks. That's what I thought.

It doesn't seem quite so muddled if I think about it as 2 separate layouts, with a 3rd hybrid layout overlayed on them.

Renske teepad for #14 is the same teepad as Gold #11. Renske #17 and #18 play down the fairway and finish at the Gold #11 basket. Renske #1 and #2 play down Gold #12s fairway and finish at the Gold 12 basket. Renske #8 starts on Gold #13s teepad and Renske #11 and #12 play along fairway finishing with Renske #12 and Gold #13 sharing a basket. Confused yet?

But hey, Charlotte's got a 3rd beginner course now!

Now if you mention fast greens and raised baskets...well sure you would have a point.

Now that's an obsession in Charlotte! :thmbup: :eek: :doh:

Other local/regional obsessions I've noticed:
Michigan... where 18 holes just aren't enough (hell, sometimes 24 isn't). :p
Pittsburgh... three sets of tees with 3 rotating pin placements (wish more places did this). :clap:

We slowly seem to be losing our tougher courses in Charlotte. No more web, renny is easier, gold is clustered and may be on the way out.

Never let Nevin go anywhere Huey!!!

If you're a do'er, like 1978 as well as the other Mules (super-volunteers) in Charlotte and other DG areas, you get defensive when talkers tell you what you should do. People want to talk and sound like heroes when it comes to how you should build things, maintain things or run things...but they don't show up at official club meetings or at work days. As the sport grows and the clubs get bigger, there is a growing gap of respect and/or knowledge towards the people who paid their dues to build the scene everyone now enjoys. Courses are organic in nature (pun intended) so you do the best you can as things develop.

We slowly seem to be losing our tougher courses in Charlotte. No more web, renny is easier, gold is clustered and may be on the way out.

Never let Nevin go anywhere Huey!!!

Although we will all miss the web, I hope the updated course makes playing the long configuration easier to accomplish. Web was a PITA to play on a weekend with all of the people playing Nest. And Nevin, I'd forrealz cry if something happened to Nevin.

The web was my favorite course in Charlotte. I've been in complete depression since it went away

Im doing my best to keep nevin long. The best thing about it was that it was developed in its "almost" longest configuration from the start. The worst thing that could happen layout wise (save some odd utilities project) is short teepads which I am totally against.

Web: people loved the nest so much that it wasnt played a lot and so foot traffic did not do the maintenance work that it does elsewhere. Hopefully the new layout eliminates this problem...although you will still have a par 5 #3 and a par 3 # 3 going different directions to the same basket.

Renny simply suffers from the ambitions of a group of really great hard working guys. They put so much effort into making it unbelievable (retaining walls, bridges, stairs, towers, etc, that we are coming up on the time to replace and repair and it is very difficult to imagine accomplishing it. Those guys arent as young and motivated anymore. The work that I put into Nevin, I dont think that I could do again without mechanical or a large labor pool. Jeez Robbins was hard enough.

Im doing my best to keep nevin long. The best thing about it was that it was developed in its "almost" longest configuration from the start. The worst thing that could happen layout wise (save some odd utilities project) is short teepads which I am totally against.

Web: people loved the nest so much that it wasnt played a lot and so foot traffic did not do the maintenance work that it does elsewhere. Hopefully the new layout eliminates this problem...although you will still have a par 5 #3 and a par 3 # 3 going different directions to the same basket.

Renny simply suffers from the ambitions of a group of really great hard working guys. They put so much effort into making it unbelievable (retaining walls, bridges, stairs, towers, etc, that we are coming up on the time to replace and repair and it is very difficult to imagine accomplishing it. Those guys arent as young and motivated anymore. The work that I put into Nevin, I dont think that I could do again without mechanical or a large labor pool. Jeez Robbins was hard enough.

You guys do an amazing job though with the Charlotte area courses!!! Thank you guys for all you do. I think the new "Pro" layout will work well for Renny when it's all done. Nevin is awesome altho way above my head right now (+17 the only time I'v played there). The 9 hole layout that Nest is now was the first disc golf course I ever played and I'm sad I missed out on the full layout. 1978 do you have any idea when it will be back up and running to 18 holes again?

No, it all depends on the construction of the pipeline and I dont know their schedule. I think Stan is pretty close with the rest of the building....then we will need teepads so, it never ends, lol. I would say by spring next year.

:clap:

I'm doing my best to keep nevin long. The best thing about it was that it was developed in its "almost" longest configuration from the start. The worst thing that could happen layout wise (save some odd utilities project) is short teepads which I am totally against.

As Huey knows, Stan and I were ready to start designing and building a shorter Nevin--totally separate--which would be a par 54 easier course (still challenging for the intermediate level players). Thought it was a go last December but seems to still being tied up in red tape.

I haven't been to Renaissance or Hornet's Nest in a couple years. Looks like I've been missing out. I was always a big fan of the Nest layout (especially back in the day, when hole 7? ran along the creek, and hole 9 finished near the parking lot), but Renny (especially Gold) was just a reminder that I have an uphill climb just to be an average player. Looking forward to checking out the new Nest when it's all said and done.

Latest posts