• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Replacement for orc

either get a star wraith or a flx surge. these are the two longest flying discs that are similar to orc. If you got a pretty good arm and can throw 310 or so plus try a star destroyer b/c they are the farthest discs i've ever thrown. i can throw my star destroyer about 365
I think you need to be able to throw further than 310' to use a Destroyer as your main driver. It could work as a reliable hyzer disc though, and in fact it may be one of the best hyzer drivers on the market. If you throw less than 400' it will hold the hyzer line you release it on, but if you're throwing 400'+...that's when you really release the potential of the Destroyer because it will flip up flat after released on a hyzer and gain some extra glide distance without slowing down so you can still get a big skip at the end.

wraith. A beast is the same speed as an orc- both are 10 on Innova's scale. If you are looking for something with the same pattern as an Orc, I'd suggest wraith for sure. If you want to get used to them, I'd say go with a Pro Wraith from 170g-173g. That way you can get used to them, it will still fight you, but not be completely useless as it breaks in. Then if you feel they are getting too flippy, move up to a champ. Just be careful because the champs are pretty overstable for a while.

I think that if you were throwing an Orc before, then a Beast is not really that much faster, in fact it might be too understable as well. I would try a lower 170 wraith or destroyer.

WOW....5 pages and nobody mentioned the SOLF, CRAZINESS!!!

If you do not want to replace the Orc with another Orc then go with the Millennium SOLF. The SOLF is like a long teebird whereas the Orc is like a long eagle. The difference between the Orc and OLF is that the OLF flips to straight with a gentle fade whereas the Orc tends to "S" more. Meaning for you righties it'll flip to the right a lil then straight then finish with a pretty hard fade.

You cant really go wrong with the Orc and I threw them for years but I now currently prefer the SOLF

Last edited:
"Anyone have any pointers how i can improve my throw? As hellweg has said i have the tendancy to throw into the ground at my left side (RHFH)"

Honestly, I think that you are on the right track here regarding looking to improve your technique. I think that there is a tendancy(I am definately including myself here) for most of us DGr's to want to find that perfect disc that cures all of our ails. While disc selection can go a ways in helping or hurting someone's game, technique improvement will aways benefit a player at nearly all levels. You should take a few mintues and scroll through the pages here and at discgolfreview.com and look for those threads that focus on FH technique. Their is an awful lot of helpful information that will get you on the right track.

Just a few quick things to consider based on what you described as your throws crashing and burning to the left. I would bet that you are unknowingly rolling your wrist over and releasing on an anhyzer angle causing your discs to become rollers. You may want to make a conscious effort to finish your throws flat and if anything, rotate your wrist slightly in the opposite direction so that your palm is closer to facing up rather than down (this happens the very instant prior to release). Also, focus on gripping the disc with your main throwing finger placed up against the inside of the rim vertically(pointing your fingers like a gun) as opposed to up against the bottom of the flight plate horizontally (begging the wife for money to buy yet another disc). I found that this helps to keep the disc on a more level plane throughout the throwing motion up untill the release. Slow your arm motion down and focus on getting a good wrist snap at the end of the throw. Make sure that you allow for a natural follow through with your throwing hand finishing as far to the left as it needs to (mine often comes up near my L shoulder)

Check out the Discfaft video on throwing FH as well.

Ultimately, you really should be able to throw most stable to understable discs FH with good results dependent on technique.

Well winter has hit here so i'm gunna be without much discing :( but just before the winter hit i bought a star orc of a friend (ten bucks prob and 7 outta 10 :D) and traded for a flick... and i have been watching alot of videos on FH techniquie.. I just am not sure how to get the right wrist snap into my throw, i have slowed my arm down alot but i still dont have the snap and once in a rare while ill hit the snap and nice throw, but when i dont im (big estimate) avg 200ft throw (golf distance) so if u know and things that i can practice indoors to get that snap in plz share!