• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Replacing disc go with same weight?

dasteve003

I am replacing a champion roadrunner I lost today. It has been working really well for me but went into some nasty rough today and is a goner. It was a 170g. It seemed to work pretty well for me so should I stick with the 170 range? Possibly go down to a 165g or up to a 175g. I've been playing for about 5 weeks and this is the last disc I would have wanted to lose as it's the only driver I can throw really straight, any advice for this new player would be appreciated, thanks!

Stay 170 or higher and keep working it.

Ch Roadrunner can be a very workable disc over a long life as your game develops and changes.

(look for one in the used bin too.. be alert for other tired and true 'understable' innova like used champ leopards, used champ valks, and used champ sidewinders)

Try and learn to throw a putter and neutral mid range further for awhile. Learn to make the disc bend different directions. Hyzer(left), anhyzers (right) and straight shots. I'd recommend a wizard, aviar (kc, jk, yeti, dx, xt) nova, dart and other under stable to stable for putters. For mid range I'd shoot for a comet, mako, mako3, stingray, panther, shark, tursus and other under stable/ neutral/ slightly stable mid range.

Learn to throw those good and return to that roadrunner it'll fly like the numbers suggest better. The roadrunner is a high speed driver. The first number is at what speed it needs to fly to make the other numbers correct. 9/4/-4/1. 9 doesn't sound that fast but when you say it's a straight disc if you look it says it's -4 which means the roadrunner is supposed to turn right (for right hand backhand throw) which is called high speed turn. When the disc is thrown flat and at the 9 speed (whatever that is lol) it'll turn to the right -4 and come back +1.

A disc like a mako with 0/0 for high speed turn and fade is made for a straight shot. Whatever that disc does will show you exactly what your doing to it. It'll show you when you turn your wrist over(it'll go right), torque it (go right/cut roll/ roller), not enough speed (hyzer/ go left), wrist roll under (it'll hyzer/ go left a lot). I recommend learning to throw flat and learn a sidearm at the same time. An you'll be a high intermediate player in no time flat ;)

Last edited: