• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Replacing my perfectly beaten wraith

jtencer

Eagle Member
I lost my primary driver earlier this week (It was also my first ace disc). After looking for about 90 minutes and finding 3 other discs I had to leave.

It was a 175g champ wraith. It was pretty beaten in, but still flew consistently. It had lost a decent amount of stability (but that's fine with me since I'm most comfortable throwing with a hyzer release from my Ultimate background).

I have 2 questions:

1. It's been a long time since I bought the wraith and about 2 dozen different drivers have been released since then. Would I benefit from looking into a higher speed disc (I throw 400+)?

2. I'm also looking for a disc that will mimic my beat wraith's flight characteristics out of the box. I have a Flick that is a serviceable over-stable driver, so I'm looking for something that I can throw hyzer and have it fly straight and far (Think narrowish fairways that are too long for my TL).

I'm not a single brand player and I prefer the durability of the higher-end plastic. I know that I could just buy another wraith, but I'd rather not have to wait for it to beat in before it filled the hole in my bag.

Thanks,

The Z Surge SS might be a good disc to try.

What would be the main difference between a Surge SS and a Nuke? They have the same stability rating and the same max weight. Is it more speed or glide (ie does it work better into a headwind or with a tailwind)?

You could also pick up a couple Wraiths in Pro to go with a Champ, and then hit a field with 'em for a few hours. They flip real nice and get there reasonably quick.

Surge SS...although I say get it in the FLX plastic....

Pro wraith or for more distance pro destroyer (gotta break it in though). Also this is why I rotate discs, it's important to have backups of that perfect disc.

I throw about 400' or so consistently (flat ground, no wind, throwing for Max D), and I think the Wraith is the perfect disc for that distance. It's stable enough to handle that distance, but flippy enough to not fade out too early and consistently get that Good D. I'd stick with that.

As for right out of the box, I'd agree with the Surge SS. But it will get flippier as it goes, so I'd pick up a Surge SS for now and a Wraith to use a little bit. Then when they are both beaten in, the Wraith will be close to where you want it.

Pro wraith or for more distance pro destroyer (gotta break it in though). Also this is why I rotate discs, it's important to have backups of that perfect disc.

Yeah. I guess I had to learn the hard way. I don't lose a lot of discs, so I always forget how much it sucks to have to break in a new one between when I buy one and when I finish breaking it in.:wall:

Avenger is pretty comparable to the Wraith IMO. Both are similar in distance and flight path.

Ugh. Good luck. I just replaced my beat Star Wraith. Have yet to throw the new one (been raining/snowing/slushy/ugh) but I'm hoping for the best.

My old one had a couple of unfortunate run-ins with a roadway (same hole, same shot, two days apart, I never learn) that totally f'd it up. :(

Depends on the plastic. and if its domey or not.

My domey stock pro katana is fairly flippy.

My star flat is stable

and my champ masters with a flat flight plate is very stable.

I have a second run gummy champ Japan open. there is definitely a sweet spot on that disc, when you hit it you get a 500ft bomb, when you go a tad harder they flip and never come back. to be honest, wraiths and destroyers are all the disc any normal player should ever worry about

I was recently in this same position. I have an older Pro wraith, my absolute favorite driver! I have 4 long aces with that disc. I have had is for years and it got so beat that it wouldn't cut back when driven hard. I replaced it with a pro destroyer and am very happy once it was broken in. I actually get a little more distance with it, I can consistantly reach 400+ ft accuratly.

I have been playing for 8 years, but apparently i never learned the lingo, What does hyzer mean?

btw: Im a RH forehand driver when maximum distance is needed, my old wraith would refuse to come back right when thrown beyond 250ft.

Hyzer refers to the angle of release. A RHBH (right hand back hand) thrower releases at a Hyzer angle by tilting the opposite wing (the side you're not holding to throw) down. In a stable disc this will cause it to hook over to the left much earlier than it would have if released flat. With an understable disc which will try to turn to the right in the initial high speed phase of its flight, it will tend to "pop up" to flat if released with enough hyzer, and hold that flat for quite a while, that shot is called a "hyzer flip"

For a RHFH thrower, swap all the lefts/rights above, it's opposite