• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Reptilian Disc Golf: Chameleon

The Chameleon got a ton of use in my bag this weekend at high plains challenge. Lots of holes needing specific shapes and it rocks so many of them. Steep hyzer that glides out a long ways left, straight shots I need to flip up carry straight turn and fade, Turn overs that hold a long ways but pull out slowly…. It did work. Took some petro shots, some that would have been an anax or instinct. It turns more reliably than the CD2s I used to bag, without being flippy like the flippier CD2s I would bag.

Nice!!!

I LOVE to hear our discs are bringing birdies to folks bags.

How do you like the speed of the mold? Do you agree with the 8.5 speed rating I gave it? To me it flies nowhere as fast as it's rim indicates.

Speed is so hard to equate, especially when not throwing side by side comparisons. It's faster than my petro or instinct (which the chameleon replaced) but slower than the anax that covers the more Few shots the instinct did the chameleon doesn't cover as well.
It's as fast or faster than my FX2. I would give it a 9 probably. It's a unique disc. Goes plenty far, stable finish but not power hungry. I don't find myself trying to throw it hard. It goes as far as the petro (which is sneaky far) without the glide the petro has.
My h3v2 are likely to get the boot in preference to the chameleon, except my flippiest rolly one. Those were my go to control drivers lately, chameleon compliments my anax better. I think prodigy calls them 11 speeds which is too high…

Thinking about numbers, discs tend to get numbers based on holes in companies line ups and what numbers would sell well. People get weird about numbers, especially tweeners like 6 and 8 speed discs. I agree that the chameleon flys in between typical classic fairways and 9/10 speed control drivers so 8.5 may be accurate. I think I gave it the bump to 9 cause that fits the class of disc I feel the disc competes.

Thinking about numbers, discs tend to get numbers based on holes in companies line ups and what numbers would sell well. People get weird about numbers, especially tweeners like 6 and 8 speed discs. I agree that the chameleon flys in between typical classic fairways and 9/10 speed control drivers so 8.5 may be accurate. I think I gave it the bump to 9 cause that fits the class of disc I feel the disc competes.

Nice summary. I agree... It's definitely faster than a Ptero but for me the Ptero glide is unmatched. I can often throw my Ptero as far as my distance drivers.

The Chameleon is now my most thrown driver however bc I really enjoy popping it up on a hyzer flip and it pushing straight with that reliable fade.

Can't wait until we get the stamp in. The mini stamp is going to look great on these.

The teaser you posted looked great. It's definitely my go to as soon as there's more than one tree on the fairway. High plains challenge it was thrown as much as my hurricane, which is saying a lot on a bomber course like those.

played two rounds yesterday

I finally had some time with my new Komodo and Chameleon.

9 speed fairways are my favorite disc. I loaded up heavily on SOLSs and SOLFs before my break from DG in 2012. I still have around 15 of them. I was throwing both my Armor Chameleon and 2012 Opto Saint and I was enjoying what I was seeing.

I also have a Ptero and I feel my RDG bag is pretty complete with the Komodo, Chameleon, Ptero, Gila, Stego, Scale and Serpent.

My mini bag right now includes a Slab, DX Firebird, Cosmic Neutron Flare, Opto Saint, Armor Ptero, DX Whippet, Champ Scorpion (love the big ones), Gila, Stego, Scale and Serpent. I think I can fit the Komodo and Chameleon in. There may be a tough fight for the Komodo.

I love the feel of the Chameleon. I need to throw it along with my SOLS.

I finally had some time with my new Komodo and Chameleon.

9 speed fairways are my favorite disc. I loaded up heavily on SOLSs and SOLFs before my break from DG in 2012. I still have around 15 of them. I was throwing both my Armor Chameleon and 2012 Opto Saint and I was enjoying what I was seeing.

I also have a Ptero and I feel my RDG bag is pretty complete with the Komodo, Chameleon, Ptero, Gila, Stego, Scale and Serpent.

My mini bag right now includes a Slab, DX Firebird, Cosmic Neutron Flare, Opto Saint, Armor Ptero, DX Whippet, Champ Scorpion (love the big ones), Gila, Stego, Scale and Serpent. I think I can fit the Komodo and Chameleon in. There may be a tough fight for the Komodo.

I love the feel of the Chameleon. I need to throw it along with my SOLS.

I forgot about the SOLS! That is a hell of a fairway. I think the Chameleon is in that same vein. Maybe more low speed stable, however.

Love to see all of those RDG molds in that bag! You're a heck of a supporter.

Still absolutely loving my Chameleon's flight, but recently I've been noticing I've been having trouble backhanding the durable, translucent plastics such as Armor, Z or Champion consistently but my ESP/Star/Grand type plastics haven't had this issue.

Are there any plans for a plastic like this? I know AGL did the Mag in a plastic like what I'm describing and it's pretty awesome stuff. I'd throw mine more if I had more like it, but it's too cool to throw.

Still absolutely loving my Chameleon's flight, but recently I've been noticing I've been having trouble backhanding the durable, translucent plastics such as Armor, Z or Champion consistently but my ESP/Star/Grand type plastics haven't had this issue.

Are there any plans for a plastic like this? I know AGL did the Mag in a plastic like what I'm describing and it's pretty awesome stuff. I'd throw mine more if I had more like it, but it's too cool to throw.

Eventually we could do that. The plastic used on these Chameleon are pretty grippy though. I wouldn't have thought anyone would have issues gripping it.

Is it too slick for you? Or just not the right surface complexion?

Eventually we could do that. The plastic used on these Chameleon are pretty grippy though. I wouldn't have thought anyone would have issues gripping it.

Is it too slick for you? Or just not the right surface complexion?

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, but Armor definitely is the best of the type of plastic I've mentioned. I think it has something to do with the moisture content of my hand, but its also finally gotten over 75 consistently here now, so that could be it as well.

So with cooler temps coming back and me commiting to bagging nothing over a 9 speed, the Chameleon went back into the bag yesterday before triples and is the reason why I won a pair of CTPs (one was a Malta and the other was a 4 pack of beer and cheese). It was also the disc that was hitting the line I envisioned almost every time (I slipped once and missed as a result, but it was a decent shot and another one was slightly too high for the canopy). It was likely a major reason why we took 3rd instead of likely 6th or worse.

Glad everyone is enjoying this mold.

Whenever I first had the opportunity to throw and purchase this mold, I wasn't that hyped. I thought that an Assassin bottom and Blade wing created a flight that didn't fit in with our arsenal...

Then I threw it and absolutely loved the mild turn and reliable fade. Now I throw the Chameleon on 50+% of my tee shots. Both FH and BH it just performs so well for throwing actual golf lines.

So glad Gateway made this available to us. It is very underrated in the market as a longer Eagle. My experience was that most drivers that claim to turn and fade, didn't actually come back. Chameleon does.

Great news!

Gateway just knocked out a run of Armor Chameleon.

They're unbelievably grippy, many are beautifully gummy & best of all.... We have some lighter weights!

Hoping to have a small batch available soon.

I dig the semi halo look!

Excited to hear about stability and dome once they are in your hands Jamie. That one sure is pretty. Too soon to call dibs?

Excited to hear about stability and dome once they are in your hands Jamie. That one sure is pretty. Too soon to call dibs?

Dome is nice and mild

Stability on these new runs Chameleons are pretty much the same the as the original Amber run... Maybe a smidge more overall but not by much.

DaveMac tweaked the top for the Chameleon/Blade but to me it was pretty much negligible.

Dome is nice and mild

Stability on these new runs Chameleons are pretty much the same the as the original Amber run... Maybe a smidge more overall but not by much.

DaveMac tweaked the top for the Chameleon/Blade but to me it was pretty much negligible.

So more glide and a bit more stability? That's going to hurt my wallet even more...

Yup, on my open courses just a touch more would probably warrant a few more tosses a week for me, but I still throw mine quite a bit. Even more when I play courses with more trees and shots need to be shaped

That Amber run is very controllable out of the box. I got to air the Chameleon out a bit on a longer, open course this week and was able to get some nice straight to turnover lines out of it. It's sneaky long!

Can any Cobra throwers chime in? I never ended up ordering any Chameleons. Still need to try a Gila as well!

Latest posts