• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Misc. thoughts of trying out 24 discs today

JR

* Ace Member *
Wind ridden soccer field that has previously proved to be treacherous with rapidly changing wind direction with horrible gusts and swirls. Today it was multiplied. This really tested wind handling capability of discs. I'll only mention the most interesting results for me for the sake of brevity.

As a disclaimer I'll note that my form is changing for the better. Today had only few well snapped drives with run up and x step. I wasn't going for max D but a bit more manageable and accurate 90 % D with full arm power less than full leg twist back at the reach back.

The best snapped throws weren't full efforts to keep the nose down as much as possible for some snapping ability without locking my wrist or slowing down my arm too much. The set that I really tried to focus my acceleration to as late as I've ever been able gave me unfamiliar results. I snapped well in comparison to previous form.

The throws in the technically good set were done into a headwind that varied between about 28-35 MPH in gusts with each disc getting at least 28 MPH at some point in the flight. I threw low throws with intentional slight s-curves to test where my max headwind distance lies with each disc. I didn't get reliable results into these conditions. Two step run up before hopped x step. I flipped my Max. It rolled far. It is the least headwind flipping resistant disc out of the batch I threw this time. Raging Inferno SRP 169 new mold went the farthest out of this lot only because I was able to adjust how I threw it after seeing what happened to my S Spirit 130 and Z Pred 172. I gave less anny and put the nose down farther after seeing the Pred stay annied the whole way to ground at 7 degree anny moving about 25' to the right. The Pred was less annied in the beginning and equally flat nosed as the Spirit that went at 10 degree anny to the ground 45' to the right. I've never annied the Spirit or the Pred to the ground. I'm not worried yet because they are still very predicatable for me when thrown on a low line drive without anny. Although the Spirit can't take wind as well because it's too light for these kinds of conditions.

My snapping experiments seem to bear fruit in a bit of advancement but that seems to bring new topics to the table that need to be learnt. One lesson was swapping out my 168 CFR TRX and substituting it with a 175. It is a bit more prone to fading but not enough for 20' apex mild distance s-curves in this kind of weather even with less snap than my max capability. Thrown without my best snapping and max speed from run up it seems marginally more HSS than the 168 gram disc. Too little difference in this kind of weather or for calm low line drives. If I wanna get certainty that full power throws released flat won't turn over too much and drop to the ground too early at high speeds. Slight hyzers initially seem to be requirements for me on low throws at full speed. Or taking off power or throwing higher. It took me a bit over half a year to grow out of this mold for prevention of flipping over with little or no OAT with flat release.

Preds to the rescue but I'll have to seek a more HSS version than Z 172 for the sickest conditions we have here for the throws that need to be as long as possible. Today wasn't even close to the hammering we've gotten. I estimate that the hardest headwind gusts I've thrown to are about 55 MPH. No joke.

For the first time I've seen why Champ Orc gets so much love. I gave it about half to two thirds of my best snap with walking x step less than full power 10 degree hyzer throw apexing at about 17' annying with a mild s-curve. I was astonished to see the relative distance. With the right throw I might make my distance record with this baby. I was yanking other discs much harder with and without as hard snap for same distance on similar lines and better lines for given discs for not much more improvement. This is a very long disc. Too bad the woods and ceilings around here don't allow many opportunities for the kind of altitude this disc needs thrown by me. There's one huge uphill throw that needs to go farther than with any disc I've tried so far with hyzer that I need to try with this disc despite the hazards. That's one of the few holes around here that I haven't been able to deuce yet. Rubbing hands together :)

I didn't have too much luck with mids today. The reason I was airing out distance annies at different heights today was that my back muscles were getting so tired that keeping upright with the hardest of run ups wasn't consistent. Two hard days of exercise under the belt. Lower back arching led too often to annies so I couldn't really do a fair test between E Sabre, DX Roc and X Storm. All I know is that all of them can be thrown about the wind more than I like for tunnels with hard snapping and less than full power. Storm flips over the easiest but is way longer than the Sabre which is a bit longer than the Roc. I don't like the amount of LSS being too much with the Sabre for anything else than full power drives in this weather. Anything less than 3xx' gives too much right to left movement in the end for tunnel work. The Storm isn't reliable enough in the wind trying to push the distance as isn't the Roc. With the Roc having distinct advantage per given power. I didn't try to reduce the power on the Storm to similar distance to see if it would get as reliable or better. That's a test I'm definitely gonna make later.

For windy conditions I really really liked the stabler fairway drivers in my collection. I tried to snap hard with less than full power on low line drives and for the first time got results that I've read about but not seen with a DX Teebird 175 trashed on the edges and a SRP 163 proto T-Bone. Both flew very straight. And far enough given the reduced power and the conditions in relation to the Roc and Storm given how they get touchy about more power and form deficiencies. I was surprised to see how much more distance I got with hard snapping and little power vs full power and little snap. With relatively low apexes too sufficient for many low ceiling drives. For the first time these babies have a useful golfable purpose in my bag. I really look forward to learning these discs well and especially in calm weather. With reduced power Z XS 17x is ok for low lines with little fade when throwing over 170'.

New condition initial type of DX 150 Teerex really liked even a little bit of snap compared to no snap on medium altitudes nose flat throws. This time I got speeds I was expecting earlier of a fast disc in this low weight. Fairly easy to keep on a long line far before the onset of fade on low throws. I need more throws with this baby with low line drives snapped hard. Should move and far.

SOLF behaved much better than what I'm used to after getting more heigth than ever before with it. I annied it to maybe 60' and that try was too steeply up so it stalled to 240'. Gotta try this baby again with the same apex heigth but farther down range in the apex with higher speed for record distances. Finally I'm seeing signs of great D potential I know this disc has. It just surprised me how high I need to throw it but even on a botched throw I really loved what I saw. This disc will get impressive D with maximum distance lines :-D

Today was the first day of trying to really get heigth on max D line annies with any disc. I had to stop after about a dozen tries because my back was giving warnings of not liking it. Before that I got my heigth record of around 70' with *D. A few feet more would've been better because it landed flat. It's a bit broken in and straighter than new. I'm fairly certain that I threw it too steeply up. It went to 310' and slid some more. The wind was calm during this throw. It's interesting to see what it does on better throws in the summer or riding a back left wind ;-) This sucker will seem small from the tee in the end.

This was the first time I got nice results with my broken x Talon 167-169. I need a 150 and expect the world out of it. I'm just afraid that it'll have to be Z plastic for durability on the courses around here. That'll put a dampener on my joy with that mold I'm afraid. Still I expect great results.

Wind handling of my champ Leopard left things to be desired like with the TRXs so I'll get Gazelles to compliment the Lep just like Preds to complement TRXs for windy days at least. Time will tell if I'll cut molds in playing bag after familiarization with the Gazelle and different Preds that I have to buy. I'm also not yet experienced enough to make an informed decision about when to throw with 50-80 % power and when not to so that'll keep minimizing molds a low priority.

Champ Starfire performed ok on high s-curves with tight power grips for reduced flipping over. Still I've got as controllable or more so discs that go as far or farther so it stays out of the bag. With power grip gripping tight and throwing with hard snap and little power I still couldn't get straight reliable flight out of Pro 173 Beast. No bag material there unless I think of another role.

My beaten D line CD1 is too little HSS and can't handle winds even with reduced power so it stays out of the bag. Adjusting for the wind I took with me my E 172 RIDT instead of the lower weigths that I usually carry. No gust handling ability for headwinds. Only small winds with little reduced powers can be tackled with this disc and it's almost new as I've spared it for windy days by throwing my lower weighted RIDTs.

Very informative and teaching day to say the least. I found many aveneues of improving my overall game and knowledge. I have to have plenty of practice sessions just to find out more about things I've thought of today. Who knows what I come up with testing this batch of ideas. There's never an end to learning is there? Rhetorical question :)

ha ha. you forgot to put chapters.
sry cant help it.
Brevity is a beautiful thing.

moral of the story i havent finished yet....
wind=overstable and JR has a shitty Z pred.

I'm by no means an expert and this isn't really about equipment but JR, you talk a lot about your run up, snap and arm speed but then your back will start to hurt. Are you making sure to follow through your throw? If I'm not mistaken, follow through is also very key in your throws and can help/hinder a discs flight.

I also wouldn't recommend trying to throw anny lines in the winds you are talking about. I personally don't like to hzyer flip a disc but when the wind is blowing like that, it sure is a lot easier to do and I get better results than relying on a disc to fight back from an anny release. Just my $.02

MacCruzer said:
ha ha. you forgot to put chapters.
sry cant help it.
Brevity is a beautiful thing.

moral of the story i havent finished yet....
wind=overstable and JR has a shitty Z pred.

If I understood you correctly you were commenting on long pieces of text without changing chapters. There are a lot of paragraphs though :) You can't even begin to fathom how much more it would've taken to describe everything it seems if my initial post seemed long to you :) I wasn't exactly brief but not as verbose as possible within keeping with the topic of describing how my discs flew. I didn't mention 24 different molds in the original message did I? I threw 24 different molds as well as 24 different discs today. Or maybe I did I didn't count but I was really skipping writing about many discs. At least thoroughly. Being thorough and overly verbose is a matter of opinion. There are subjects where dozens of times more lenthy decriptions of equally simple things are requirement with professionals.

In my experience wind really requires overstable discs and I don't think my Pred was useless. My lower back is after the strain I put on it. Maybe snapping too hard in headwind with annies is a big no no with every disc. This time it was for me. I've read that big snap keeps the discs on the lines they are at for longer periods of time. If true that would explain why my Pred didn't flex and fade from the initial anhyzer angle. The flight line wasn't that high though.

I got fine results after the Spirit and Pred throws with a RI with flat release nose somewhat down hard snap. For me hard snap that is. That suggests to me that snapping hard and throwing hard at the same time with flat low nose down release isn't asking too much of very overstable discs in headwinds. Like my Pred and Spirit anny throws were.

dvlcek said:
I'm by no means an expert and this isn't really about equipment but JR, you talk a lot about your run up, snap and arm speed but then your back will start to hurt. Are you making sure to follow through your throw? If I'm not mistaken, follow through is also very key in your throws and can help/hinder a discs flight.

I also wouldn't recommend trying to throw anny lines in the winds you are talking about. I personally don't like to hzyer flip a disc but when the wind is blowing like that, it sure is a lot easier to do and I get better results than relying on a disc to fight back from an anny release. Just my $.02

I've gotten much less follow through during the summer because my back muscles have been protecting damaged soft tissue. The damage is healing and the muscles seem to give more mobility. I've gotten better follow throughs than ever before. IT is at least partly due to more generated power. Today I rotated well on sneakers. It is warmer than for a while and I'm able to use sneakers again. I often turned so much that I had trouble following the disc in fligth and sometimes lost eye contact.

Not following through would also damage your body as well as mess up your accuracy. I didn't have problems with this. My back started to hurt because it isn't well enough healed after injury for twisting in two axis with a lot of power being generated for throwing in higher angle than I've ever used before. I need to try to see if throwing high at less of an upward angle allows more speed for the disc after apex for more distance on max D lines. Still getting full fligth pattern out of the discs.

I had zero experience with throwing high anny max D lines in any conditions before today. I wouldn't wonder if high speed winds and terrible gusts and vortices would make annying high a gamble. I hope to retest more in calm weather and better healed back.

: )

Your back is not somthing you want to mess with, you only got one. You sound like your very passonite about the game. If I was you, and as hard as it might be i would go on hiatus for a couple months and let the back properly heal.
Atleast no 24 disc write ups in one day. it takes me a full field session just to evaluate one disc, so you must be doing alot of throwing to get that much info about all thoose discs in one day (let alone in 28-35 MPH wind).
just be careful if you want the game to last. how long have you been playing? almost 2 years right? your just getting started.

MacCruzer said:
: )

Your back is not somthing you want to mess with, you only got one. You sound like your very passonite about the game. If I was you, and as hard as it might be i would go on hiatus for a couple months and let the back properly heal.
Atleast no 24 disc write ups in one day. it takes me a full field session just to evaluate one disc, so you must be doing alot of throwing to get that much info about all thoose discs in one day (let alone in 28-35 MPH wind).
just be careful if you want the game to last. how long have you been playing? almost 2 years right? your just getting started.

Hehe :) I'm not what Climo said about himself when he started. He was out there throwing each spare moment he had in the beginning of his career. I don't yet have the stamina and two injuries need a mandatory rest period every now and then. I'm recuperating well and have seen a doctor. And am pushing my limits at times but once I do I know to back off. I don't think I need a hiatus because my back is getting a lot better than it was and it's still improving noticeably despite hard training. I had bad aches in my back when I busted it and I'm lucky it was a fairly mild injury. I'm thoroughly frightened of repeating back troubles so I do try to save it. If I notice nasty feelings.

The reason my back started to hurt is that I'm not used to that much twisting that I had in trying to throw max D annies to 70' at 60-70 degree upward angles. I intentionally stepped with the plant step to the left of the line I was runnig to and held the knee almost straigth and arched my lower back to the right and back for higher upward angle of the disc. I'm too old or unlimber in that area and my muscles aren't accustomed to this because I've never done this kind of movement before. And I was throwing as hard as I could. Too abrupt beginning to this style of throwing for my body with too much applied power.

I've played three summers and two winters with golf discs and two summers before that with beach discs. But also played less than a week with beach discs in 1984 on an object course as a kid in a sports camp.

The thing about the 24 discs is that I know 'em all already. They are mine and I've thrown each of them plenty of times in field practice and on courses. I think I threw less than 100 throws that day. My form changed majorly for the better and I thought to post about how they fly differently for me now that my form is resembling fine for the first time.

I've often had replies that say that my experiences aren't in line with how other people get the discs to perform. I confirmed yesterday and today again that this is because I had very high flight speeds without a lot of RPM with my previous form vs getting a trashed dx Teebird and a new dx Roc to fly on a string now with a lot better wrist snap. No fade whatsoever on low line drives :-D Now if I could combine wrist snapping properly to full power drives instead of just fairway drives with less than full speed x steps...

Just ordered a new batch of discs to compensate for the winds and hopefully to allow for even more max D and controlled fairway accuracy and predictability in all conditions. And accounting for the changed philosophy of trying to be as pedestrian as everybody else in not throwing with full power at least on most throws in tight spots ;-) Maybe that batch finally becomes the core of my permanent bag that I've never been able to form yet with the knowledge that I'm missing something. Unfortunately we don't get every nice disc or option here so a FLX Pred and a Z 150 Talon will have to ordered from abroad once I see if I really benefit from them after I've gotten used to the next lot of discs. It seems very much so that I do need the added oevrstability of the FLX Pred based on the winds today.

For the first time I've picked discs for predictability and based on the closest relatives of the new discs that I've tried I'm optimistic about not having to suffer overly bad from coldness and wetness of winter DG like in previous years.

I'll post about the new discs after I get them and have some throws under the belt.

Plus my 168 Star SL that is a golden oldie. It was snowing and I was tired and my timing was bad. This is still an s-curve disc that could be substituted with champ Orc, champ Starfire, Z Flash and who knows what quite easily. It's a bit less LSS than the others though.

In the snow x steps are difficult to make with my boots because they gather huge mounds of snow under the heel and ball of the foot and make slipping easy. That possibility really rattled me. Bending my knee at the plant wasn't like I'm used to because of more clothing. That and poor timing forced me to try standing still throws with little reach back just to get the timing better. That yielded several 300' line drives with Champ 170 Wraith. It seems to fly quite close to the Star 166 I've broken in. Without throwing them in the same session I'd say they are so close that they are direct substitutes.

X Crush didn't seem that much less HSS than Z when new. It's a bit more HSS and therefore more controllable and predictable as an s-curve disc as the discs mentioned in the first paragraph.

X Pred is somewhat less HSS and LSS when new even with weather, form and power being worse than with Z Pred which suggests that once this baby breaks in I'm gonna love it. It really wasn't that much more LSS than X Crush. I didn't get my best timing with these throws though. I expect better things from them. I lost maybe 20-30' distance compared to Z Pred on best days with best power and form which I think means that even when new the X Pred is somewhat longer thrown in the same session. X Pred is definitely in the bag from now. I'm really not that sure if I have any use for the Crush because it's about in the middle of X Pred and Wraith. And a broken in Orc while needing more finesse goes farther for given power.

Z Storm is maybe marginally more HSS than X. It handled slight winds but for max power I need to increase initial hyzer in headwinds. I think I didn't get as much confidence with the plastic change because it stays flipped almost as long as X if it flips. Not good for moderate winds. Or I need to always throw with less than full power and get added D from Teebirds or some such disc. I'm not sure if I need to have this middle disc between Roc and Teebird.

Sirius Sentinel MF surprised me. I got ok wrist snaps and timing with it mostly and even without ok snap it didn't fade as much as I expected based on JFC. In headwinds and arching back when I got tired towards the end of the session it flipped more than I wanted and doesn't come back. The added LSS doesn't assure forgiveness for major form blow ups like arching back. I need more throws to see if thi'll get in the bag. Initialy it seems that it's not a good idea to throw this disc anywhere near full power if there's even a little headwind and form isn't perfect. It's not a sucker proof disc that I had hoped it to be :)

DX Gazelle likes to fly high. Equalled best grip out of my discs sharing the top spot with gummy QMS. Headwind handling is a bit better than Leopard probably but less than Teebird. About what I'd expect from a versatile control driver. For that role it's probably the best disc I've tried. It's not error correcting disc like Roc but what other discs are? A bit more forgiving for too little initial hyzer than Leopard but probably slightly more sensitive to nose angle while still being much better than any longer than fairway driver role disc.

My opinions could change very well with side by side comparisons in good conditions.

Just from reading your posts JR, I think I know what could make you a better golfer in general.

Don't overthink stuff too much. Just throw :D

Problem solved.

You're like a Mini-Me. I overthink stuff too much, and when I just throw I do much better.

Parks said:
Just from reading your posts JR, I think I know what could make you a better golfer in general.

Don't overthink stuff too much. Just throw :D

Problem solved.

You're like a Mini-Me. I overthink stuff too much, and when I just throw I do much better.

While throwing and planning the how and with which disc I throw I tend to underthink and suffer the consequences. Sometimes I throw with just the feel. Especially in easy close situations. I tend too be too rec and fun loving and non stressing on difficult long throws.

I'm glad you've seen the light throwing the orc, but I think you would like the star version better. Most champs I've seen are flat tops, but some are domey and more stable. The star mold is domey so I prefer it to the champ.

I also throw the starfire, but I use the star version. I'm not sure if it's the champ plastic or OAT, but my experience with the starfire is that it's quite stable and doesn't turn over one me. Maybe it was the wind causing the problems, but I've yet to test it in high winds.

Donkeypuncher said:
I'm glad you've seen the light throwing the orc, but I think you would like the star version better. Most champs I've seen are flat tops, but some are domey and more stable. The star mold is domey so I prefer it to the champ.

I also throw the starfire, but I use the star version. I'm not sure if it's the champ plastic or OAT, but my experience with the starfire is that it's quite stable and doesn't turn over one me. Maybe it was the wind causing the problems, but I've yet to test it in high winds.

My Champ Orc is very domey. It's quite close in flight to a Z Flash I loaned from a friend in the summer. The Flash did flip more then but advances in snapping have made the flight of the Orc more HSS for me recently and I really dig it for high s-curves. Without comparing them side by side I'd estimate them to be so close that they are interchangeable.

Star Starfire is a different mold from Champ. I haven't thrown SSF but people here have said that the SSF is much more HSS than the Champ SF.

With ice my home course around a ski jumping hill has become too dangerous for my tastes so the high flying ability of an Orc is fairly useless for me on the other courses I play. I'm so used to Wraith that on good days I get it to fly well enough on holes where I dare try lond s-curves.

But now that the snow has made my form a mess with x steps and somewhat with shuffle steps an Orc might very well be more consistent. It doesn't need a perfect form and power to s-curve well and relatively far. That's the ticket for reliability. I carried an Orc today and didn't use it just because it didn't occur to me. There's one hole that is long and has a tree in the fairway which is good to anny behind. There the Orc might have an edge in these conditions. Thanks for the idea.

I find they work very well as a combo. The orc might be longer, but the starfire handles wind much better. I think of the starfire as a orc-x, if they were to ever make one. Yesterday I hit the chains on a 330' drive, which would have been my first ace, but it bounced out. I think maybe I've altered my form to compliment the orc, because it used to turn over on me. Now I throw it dead nuts straight with a slight fade in the last 30 feet.

Donkeypuncher said:
I find they work very well as a combo. The orc might be longer, but the starfire handles wind much better. I think of the starfire as a orc-x, if they were to ever make one. Yesterday I hit the chains on a 330' drive, which would have been my first ace, but it bounced out. I think maybe I've altered my form to compliment the orc, because it used to turn over on me. Now I throw it dead nuts straight with a slight fade in the last 30 feet.

How high are you throwing the Orc and are you using full power on those throws?

I'm blasting full tilt and snapping and at 15' apexes it'll s-curve so much that it must be released with initial hyzer. But that is with my OAT inducing but more than power grip power generating grip. Mouthful :)When I don't squeeze hard to save my hand. With a hard squeeze I don't need that initial hyzer for mild s-curves at that height. Given 10 degrees initial hyzer it'll be a gentle s-curve that has no danger of hitting ground early. For ok distance. But it likes to fly at much higher heights for real D. I haven't mapped out my full potential with it but it was sooo nice with 25-30' apexes that I'll have to do it eventually. It really glides tremendously well with an s-curve at those altitudes and I suspect even better when higher.

The Champ Starfire is indeed a more high speed overstable Orc. Thrown flat SF needs less height per given power to not flip to ground when thrown flat. It also needs less initial hyzer for low throws that musn't drop quickly to the ground annied all the way. I imagine the Star SF might be better for lower throws with high speeds but shorter due to the added overstability.

Today was almost calm day with snow on the ground for the first time this winter.

I need finesse for long Z Storm throws because when new this baby is like my broken in/trashed DX Teebird. No fade to speak of. It takes a nose flat or up high throw to make it fade more than a foot at 300'. I'm not gunning at those distances.

I loved some practice throws with QMS. Snapped well with less than full power it also is very mild fading even with 20' apexes and nose flat. This time the snap kept it from flipping for more distance than I'm used to. So I'd say that with the gummy grip it's fine for a beginner but the better the form the more it delivers. Great for low wind midrange throws. I still prefer to throw it for lower distances than Roc for the sake of predictability. 32' putt :) But to about 170' I'm fine with it. I just have overlap for fadeless throws because I can have them from 1'-300'+ with QMS, Roc, Storm and Teebird.

Thrown medium high I got some measure of safety from Sirius Sentinel MF against flipping over. It needs a lot more muscle for same distance than most of the other mids and fairway drivers in this thread but that reduces the chance of flying by at long ranges. The fade certainly helps with flexing a fliped flight to get back on track. I had too many errors where I either gave too much power or too little initial hyzer to the other discs and they annied too far from the basket. With the Sentinel I had many more birdie opportunities because it doesn't amplify my errors that much and can be counted to flex with less than full power and 15' apexes.

It's also quite good at lower heights with initial hyzer for flipping to flat and predictably fading with more power. I think this'll be fine for at least moderate winds as a sure mid that I don't have to worry about penalizing me doubly by flying to the wrong place when messing up a throw a little and ending up in a bad place because the disc just keeps on trucking to the right. Plenty of those ugly places around and that's why I'm so sensitive to flipping the discs over. And looney level winds that I play in now that there are no leaves to tame the sea winds :)

JR said:
How high are you throwing the Orc and are you using full power on those throws?

I'm blasting full tilt and snapping and at 15' apexes it'll s-curve so much that it must be released with initial hyzer. But that is with my OAT inducing but more than power grip power generating grip.

I generally like to keep it 15-20' in the air unless its downhill, then I try to stay around 10-15'. I've just recently figured out how to throw the orc with full power and keep it from turning over, but I usually stay around 75-80% power since most of the holes are under 400'. I put it out 425' today with a slow 2 step rip, went a little higher than I'd like but held straight with maybe 10-15' of right turn. Went further than my wraith, but there was a tailwind.

I found that my problem was reaching back too much before the rip, and not bending my elbow. I think it just put my shoulder out of timing with my hips, and cause me to drop my arm right at the end of release thus turning over everything I threw. Now I keep my elbow bent on the reach back and only turn far enough to where I can see the basket out of the corner of my right eye. Now every disc flies like it should, and understable ones are way more predictable whre they usually would be all over the place.

JR said:
The Champ Starfire is indeed a more high speed overstable Orc. Thrown flat SF needs less height per given power to not flip to ground when thrown flat. It also needs less initial hyzer for low throws that musn't drop quickly to the ground annied all the way. I imagine the Star SF might be better for lower throws with high speeds but shorter due to the added overstability.

That is exactly how it flies, keep it under 20' and rip it as hard as you can. It will fly dead nuts straight, with a pretty big fade. I never have to put hyzer on release, but it sounds like it's the star plastic thing. If thrown with a little anhyzer and more height I'm sure it would give the orc a run for it's money. Flies very similar to the solf, maybe a touch more hss.

Donkeypuncher said:
I found that my problem was reaching back too much before the rip, and not bending my elbow. I think it just put my shoulder out of timing with my hips, and cause me to drop my arm right at the end of release thus turning over everything I threw. Now I keep my elbow bent on the reach back and only turn far enough to where I can see the basket out of the corner of my right eye. Now every disc flies like it should, and understable ones are way more predictable whre they usually would be all over the place.

JR said:

That is exactly how it flies, keep it under 20' and rip it as hard as you can. It will fly dead nuts straight, with a pretty big fade. I never have to put hyzer on release, but it sounds like it's the star plastic thing. If thrown with a little anhyzer and more height I'm sure it would give the orc a run for it's money. Flies very similar to the solf, maybe a touch more hss.

I also found less reach back and eyes on the target to be more accurate and helped me with the timing of the acceleration for good snap. Not reaching back as far as possible does sap power and that may be in part why the discs don't turn over any more. Throwing with less reach back is my method for short drives and fairway drives as second throws. I mostly use almost full reach back with the arm almost fully extended back for max D throws. As you noticed keeping good posture or form is crucial for accuracy and getting good flight patterns.

Another factor that makes the Starfire turn on me is that even with hard squeezes I do have plenty of arm speed and maybe not that great snap in relation. Although my snap is good enough for keeping Rocs, Storms and Teebirds fadeless it may not be enough for the faster more LSS Starfire. So the relation between speed and spin may be lopsided towards speed compared to how the disc flies best.

Back when I had less power and less speed generating form and didn't have as much snap my Champ Starfire was consistently 5-10' longer than my Orc with slight s-curves with 10-13' apexes. Nose flat. Speed difference caused this I think. I really wasn't letting the Orc do it's thing which is gliding high and far. So glad that I've experimented with different lines and getting the wrist down somewhat :)