• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

What plastic is the black and how do I get my hands on some?

I misted posted a sales thread :)
It's "Tar Pit" plastic. I'm a HUGE fan of firm SS plastic. This is a black, firm SS that has a unique texture that I think will make for perfect putting putters.

The Fossil plastic is the best mid grade plastic out there currently, in my opinion. It's almost like the good 11x KC Pro blend, the stiff run. It has the distinct chalkiness on the rim like all Gateway S type plastic. The rim doesn't take damage as easily as Sure Grip plastic, though. I did get a bit of chunk age on the bead while filming my test video, but that was from all the driving I did with it.

For me, and I specifically mentioned this to the RDG crew as soon as I tested it, the Scale is an absolute Rhyno killer. Rhyno enthusiasts will be ditching them for the Scale, especially with the older Rhynos becoming more expensive. It's also great for sidearms.

Sweet, I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm excited to pick one of these up, I think they'll pair up great withmy Voodoo's.

SALES LINK

In case anyone was having trouble finding the "Sales Thread" ( I know I did; I was looking in the Marketplace and didn't realize there was a Commercial Marketplace!)

How does the flightd plate thickness compare to prototype wizards?

Even more thin believe it or not.

Did some extensive Scale testing today for all tee shots & putts.
I will say that the Scale is gaining a ton of versatility as it seasons in. Right out of the box, the Scale is a chunky flyer. No glide & very difficult to pan with any lean. Now that I've gotten some of my protos worked in with some bead wear, I'm able to throw some lonnnnnnggggg flex lines.
The new run of RFF Scales have a very intense low speed fade, making them one of the best chip hyzer, hit and stick discs I've thrown.

So I practice putted with my proto fossil scale yesterday. First off, fossil is the best plastic blend from gateway. I love it. Perfect flex, perfect grip, it is grippy and velvety. The thumb groove is in an excellent spot. You can really tell that most of the weight is in the rim. I feel I can generate more snap from this. I also feel more comfortable from further out with the Scale.

This thing putts great. I can really trust the line with this putter. It always finishes the same. I did aim a little high right on longer putts, but even then the Scale is still easy to range. For me, I like OS putters. The scale easily fills that roll. I see this as my new putting putter.

So I practice putted with my proto fossil scale yesterday. First off, fossil is the best plastic blend from gateway. I love it. Perfect flex, perfect grip, it is grippy and velvety. The thumb groove is in an excellent spot. You can really tell that most of the weight is in the rim. I feel I can generate more snap from this. I also feel more comfortable from further out with the Scale.

This thing putts great. I can really trust the line with this putter. It always finishes the same. I did aim a little high right on longer putts, but even then the Scale is still easy to range. For me, I like OS putters. The scale easily fills that roll. I see this as my new putting putter.

Dave couldn't have matched our desired feel for Fossil any better. It is dangerously good. I'm proud to show it to anyone that likes stiff putter plastic.

Just got my Fossil Scale in the mail tonight. First impression is that it's the perfect blend of grip, soft feel, and rigid flight plate. My main putter is an 8 year old medium wizard and this feels extremely similar, with better grip. The thumbtrack is so close to the edge that it's a non-factor for me with a putting grip, but my thumb drops right into it for the power grip that I normally use on drives and upshots. So we'll see how it feels there.

Hopefully the weather holds off and I can test it out this week. I just picked up a Medium Vibram VP and after one round, it's got a spot in my bag as the overstable driving/upshot/wind putter. I clicked right away with the VP, so the Scale will have some tough competition. It's definitely a bonus that it feels so similar to my wizards.

Lightweight Scales are the bees knees. I love my 165 Tar Pit. My 174 Fossil isn't too shabby either. Really love the two of em and the plastic blends are perfect

Lightweight Scales are the bees knees. I love my 165 Tar Pit. My 174 Fossil isn't too shabby either. Really love the two of em and the plastic blends are perfect

Love to hear that! The tar pit makes for a great putting putter while the Fossil really is perfect for off the tee.

I must say, the Scale hits chains with authority. I love the sound it makes as it hits home. This putter really shines for me 20 feet and further away. I feel like I generate more snap on the Scale than other discs. Really digging fossil plastic. And I normally like really soft. Actually golfing tomorrow. Just one round, but the Scale will see work.

So, I got in a couple of drives with the Scale today. This putter is dead on exactly what I want fade wise in a driving putter. I love that it just FADES now. So easy to range. I feel this disc being used often on 250-280 straight then hard left drives and approaches. That means I must purchase at least two fossil Scales and two SSS Scales. Fossil for drive and approach, SSS for putting. I am hooked. Never thought I would like something this OS for putting, but I do.

Orange RFF Scale

It arrived in the mail today and I took it out for a round a few minutes later. I'm no expert, but I like it a lot. I've been putting with a SSS Wizard but the Scale is more of what I like in a putter. The plastic feels good and it hits the chains with some grip. The thumb groove is just right. The bead fits my hand nicely. It's not floppy like the Wizard. I need a few more of these to start getting serious with my putting. I've tried several putters, trying to find the one that's "just right." I think this could be the one for me.

A few quick thoughts on my new Scale...

I got the Fossil plastic, and it feels really nice. Grippy and firm, just like I prefer my Voodoos. It made a nice 1-2 punch with the Organic Voodoo I have in the bag for approaches, covering anything needing to fade. I didn't have a chance to throw any long approached with it but I didn't have any trouble ranging it from ~75 and in.

On the couple drives I was able to throw with it I found it nice and straight, with that very quick fade and drop when it runs out out steam. With some practice time I could see this taking a lot of my shots that need to get close to the pin and just die.

Overall, I really like this disc and look forward to getting some more time with the Scale to really use it as a weapon around the pin. Probably too much fade for me personally to putt with, but I could see a softer plastic being slightly easier for that.