• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Retired Discs?

Ace discs are like anything else that has memories attached to it. For some people, for some discs, the sentimental value of the moment overrides the need to throw the disc on a course.

I have 18 aces; some I've retired, some I throw, some are molds I don't throw anymore, some I've traded in.

But there is at least one ace disc that will always stay on the wall. I come from a big family, and a couple of years ago, we got 8 of us playing doubles together at Thanksgiving. Alternating shot doubles on a little 9 hole course. Half had never played before and we paired the lesser players with the more experienced ones for alternating shot.

I had my youngest brother as my partner, someone who doesn't care a whit about outdoor sports and would rather be inside creating Flash animations... anyway, 8 holes in, with the hole family watching, it was my tee shot and a seasoned champion orc laced on a flick straight down the alley and straight into the chains. My little brother got excited, because it was HIS TEAM that aced -- only time I've seen him excited about playing a sport. The whole family signed the disc. Best ace I've ever had because it was shared.

The orc is easy to replace -- I keep backups around and use Orcs as tree/water/underbrush fodder anytime I'm near hazardous areas. Always have some backups. But I can't replace the memories tied to that Thanksgiving Day orc with family, and it makes me happy every time I look at it, because it is a reminder of a great day with family.

So yeah -- "whatever floats your boat" -- but realize that discs have multiple types of value: how well they throw, how much they are worth$, and what memories they hold.

Only one of those types of value matters to anyone but you, and it's not the most important.

I'd probably only retire an ace disc that was either brand new and easily replaceable or was one that I barely ever throw. I see an ace coming in my future on a certain hole at my home course with a certain favorite disc ever (I've hit the bottom of the pole four times in the last two weeks) and you'd better believe it's staying in the bag once I do.

I have 6 Ace discs

X Comet
ESP Comet
Z Wasp
D Banger
DX Rhyno
Blunt Gumbputt

I retired none.

Discs are designed to be thrown. The reward for a good disc is that it stays in your permanent bag and gets thrown.
I have a whole bunch of discs that didn't make the bag and so they sit unceremoniously at home. Why would I subject a disc that got me an ace to the same disuse? Makes no sense to me... its reward for the ace is that it stays in the bag and performs its function. Unlike the other outcasts in my basement.

If its a putter ace I dont retire. If it's an ace with a driver I will retire it. So far 5 driver aces, 1 mid ace , 1 puter ace. I didnt retire the putter ace and didnt retire the mid ace until it broke.

doesn't that cubby guy retire every single ace disc?

I retired my first three, But I still throw my 4th arounf the yard, I think I'm only going to keep special aces from now on. First throw of the day aces, tourney aces, stuff like that.

As far as I'm concerned, a place on the wall only means that I like to see it but it's not in my bag right then. I might pull a disc off the wall and put it in the bag that day, even ace discs if I feel like it.

I keep all the fresh backups of my favorite discs on the wall because it's nice to see 10 twins of my money driver every day. I also keep special discs on the wall from events or aces or whatever. Most discs will live on the wall as they wait to be drafted for duty.

Just because it sits on the wall doesn't mean it's retired but it is an honorable place to be at rest. Discs are often pulled off the wall for utility projects and being used for this utility project is also an honor for those discs chosen.

I dont' retire them, it makes no sense to me. I have three aces on a SE rhyno and they are all on the same hole because I know exactly how to throw that shot with that disc. If I took that disc out the bag i wouldn't have those two extra aces. I have nine aces and three are with the rhyno and two are with a 10x roc that has been in my bag forever.

Of course almost all of my aces have been with beat in discs that I love. I think my only ace on a newer disc is with a Cryztal Challenger that I traded on here, myabe to Fritz.

All this retirement talk got me thinking, so I pulled my dyed Wasp from the wall to play a few rounds with it today and got a second ace on it! 240 ft thumber right into the chains. 1st overhand ace, 3rd of the year total, and 12th overall.

I don't think it's going to leave the bag anymore...

pd

pointdisc said:
All this retirement talk got me thinking, so I pulled my dyed Wasp from the wall to play a few rounds with it today and got a second ace on it! 240 ft thumber right into the chains. 1st overhand ace, 3rd of the year total, and 12th overall.

I don't think it's going to leave the bag anymore...

pd

Well I'm glad you reaped a benefit from following some of the common sense comments made on the subject. :)

Latest posts