• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Returning a disc - ettiquette question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time I've gotten a call from someone out of state who found my disc, and I wanted the disc back, I've sent them a bubble mailer, with a return address label, stamps, and usually a little legal tender reward enclosed. All they have to do is seal it up, apply the label and stamps, and drop it off at the P.O.

Their obligation ended at making the phone call, so I feel it imperative to make the rest of the return process as easy for those folks as possible.

I've been the Finder in a couple of these scenarios, where the disc owners did the same. Except for the cash tip, which is fine with me. This is the gold standard of lost disc behavior, I think.

Random sorta related questions:

For those of us that call #'s on discs every single time:
1. What percentage of people actually answer and/or have a VM set up?
2. If you leave a message, what percentage return the call?
3. If they return the call, what percentage actually want the disc back?
4. If they actually want the disc back, what percentage takes steps to get the disc back?
5. How many times do you try calling before saying, "Ah **** it."

For me, I'd say it breaks down like this:
1. 20%
2. 5%
3. 30%
4. 5%
5. 2

Just curious. :) Obviously I don't keep hard stats on this...just guesstimating.

1. What percentage of people actually answer and/or have a VM set up? 75%
2. If you leave a message, what percentage return the call? 40% of those^
3. If they return the call, what percentage actually want the disc back? 50%of those^
4. If they actually want the disc back, what percentage actually take steps to get the disc back? 75% of those^
5. How many times do you try calling before saying, "Ah **** it." 3 times. Or one voice mail message.

Random sorta related questions:

1. What percentage of people actually answer and/or have a VM set up?
2. If you leave a message, what percentage return the call?
3. If they return the call, what percentage actually want the disc back?
4. If they actually want the disc back, what percentage takes steps to get the disc back?
5. How many times do you try calling before saying, "Ah **** it."

Just curious. :) Obviously I don't keep hard stats on this...just guesstimating.

For me, given not too many years playing where I would find a disc. (my original home course had one lake and sent a diver down every so often)

1. 100%
2. 100%
3. 100%
4. 20%
5. 1-4, depending on location

this is of discs with numbers. roughly half either have nothing, a name with no number, or some other form of drawing that does not contain a telephone number

Lulz, wow, okay maybe I just come across like a goon over the phone or something! :D :D :p

Jukeshoe: I HAVE YOUR DISC!!!
Person on Phone: Eeeek! *hurriedly hangs up*

I've probably found somewhere in the region of 50 lost discs, maybe more...so maybe that is skewing my percentages downward?? :confused:

My answers were each based on the answer to the question prior, not overall numbers. (hence, "of those")

yeah, I usually try to get em back to the person....but the person who FINDS it shouldn't have to bend over backwards to return it. Often times, just meet up to play....or leave at a store. But a few times, the person just told me to keep it as it was a pain to coordinate. All is well

I was willing to do the driving and spending the gas to get it...but he was not willing to do what he said he was going to do and leave it at the park he had played multiple times since he found the disc. Each time it was "oh, they were closed". Not looking for sympathy, what I am looking for his opinions on how other people would handle this situation.

Usually boards are to answer questions that other people have and to share experiences. Not to tell people they are dumb and they should do more than what has already been done. I am not looking for people to be cordial, just tell me what you would do in the same situation.

I'd agree with your numbers, Juke.

I agree that the person who lost the disc should expend more effort to retrieve said disc.

No clue where you live OP, but my guess is the drive from SF to Napa costs as much, or more, than the disc is worth.

Yes, that is true, which is why I was going to get it while I was out that way playing a course near where he said he would leave it.

Each and every disc I have found, with a phone number and / or name, has gotten a phone call from me. Many of them have been on the course, so those were easy to return. Those that have not been on the course either told me to keep it or return to the local shop (which I have done). On rare occasions, I have been able to keep the disc.

I told him that it was too much hassle to get it back after he found it and he could just keep it, which I think was his intention to begin with.

I think that you are wrong here in your assumption. If he just wanted the disc, he could have just kept it. Why call you and try to plan to meet you if he really truly just wanted to keep it?

Sounds like he made a couple seemingly honest attempts to return the disc but the shop was closed when he finished his round, not hard to believe. When you last called, he finally figured, "the disc is right here, meet me where I am and I'll get it to you".

I don't think that he had ill intentions when he found it or even later, just got tired of not being able to leave it at the shop/meet up and decided, here it is, come get it.

Lulz, wow, okay maybe I just come across like a goon over the phone or something! :D :D :p

I felt like that trying to return a disc, I called and asked for the name on the disc and the woman on the phone seemed really uncomfortable. Turns out she thought it was a little weird that some dude was calling her 8 year old son, everything was cool once she understood that I was just returning his disc. :p

Any time I've gotten a call from someone out of state who found my disc, and I wanted the disc back, I've sent them a bubble mailer, with a return address label, stamps, and usually a little legal tender reward enclosed. All they have to do is seal it up, apply the label and stamps, and drop it off at the P.O.

Their obligation ended at making the phone call, so I feel it imperative to make the rest of the return process as easy for those folks as possible.

And sometimes you do this and even give the guy running Worlds the cash to make sure there is no problem getting your disc back - and you even get a call your disc was gotten down out of the tree and you would get it back - which in real life actually meant "I not only kept your disc, but I also kept the 10 bucks you left to send it back".:thmbdown:

I usually get about 25% of people that actually answer their phone or reply to the VM. The last disc I went completely out of my way to return, the dude didn't even bother with a freakin' thank you. Now, I hide them at the course and call. That's about all anybody gets from me, unless I find it at the course down the block from me....cuz then it's easy to find me.

I don't know if you've heard, but lots of disc golfers are lazy *******s that want everyone else to do everything for them.

Disclaimer: I'm in a **** mood today.

Pretty much how I see it. Someone getting your disc back to you is doing you a favor... they shouldn't have to jump through hoops. Help them help you, and make it worth their while.

And sometimes you do this and even give the guy running Worlds the cash to make sure there is no problem getting your disc back - and you even get a call your disc was gotten down out of the tree and you would get it back - which in real life actually meant "I not only kept your disc, but I also kept the 10 bucks you left to send it back".:thmbdown:
Wow... just wow.

Just curious, how much do those cost?
Bubble mailers and address labels will vary depending on quantity. You can buy blank labels to print on your computer or the pre-made variety. Both are available online, or at any office supply store and sometimes general merchandise stores. Combined expense for one of each can be done for under $1.

Usually $3.22 in stamps (8 oz parcel, yeah I know some of you are sending them as large envelopes, but they're technically parcels if they're rigid) + $1.19 outbound postage (2 oz large envelope). Some masking tape to cover the seal, since I want that used for the return trip.

Probably more expense and effort than many are willing to take, but I've done it on a few occasions.

And sometimes yet, you do get the disc back and then within a month proceed to lose it again.
:wall:

What is etiquette on finding discs in a lake? IMO losing a disc on land is different than losing in a lake. If you throw in a lake, most people aren't going to go after it, so if I go in a get it, don't I deserve to keep it? I have lost a couple in a lake and haven't expected a call because if someone is willing to dive in a find it, they deserve it.

What is etiquette on finding discs in a lake? IMO losing a disc on land is different than losing in a lake. If you throw in a lake, most people aren't going to go after it, so if I go in a get it, don't I deserve to keep it? I have lost a couple in a lake and haven't expected a call because if someone is willing to dive in a find it, they deserve it.

Cmon man.

This thread actually has some value.

Status
Not open for further replies.