• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reworking my drives

Autiger1291

Well after a year or so of short drives, and off and on shoulder pain I decided to start over with my drives. I am attempting to copy the steps that are shown in the MB video, starting with the right pec drill. This isn't a great video because my little brother was shaking as its two degrees in Nashville. Anyway it's a start. I feel like I need someone standing over my shoulder all the time telling me what to correct. There's no such thing as disc golf coaches(at least that I know of), but you guys are just as good. Thanks for any advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Jwh-fcOCs

Looks like you're not starting with your lower body rotation, the disc is probably nose up (as it's oriented that way in your hand when you are about to throw), also, you are chopping your elbow and arcing the disc outwards instead of pulling the disc down your arm.

Kudo's to your little brother for standing out there in the cold for ya :)

Very good, however the disc is in the middle of your chest, not off your right pec. Get the disc to the right side of the right pec if you really want to get your elbow forward correctly.

Your wrist is collapsing upward at release. Stop that. Drive the wrist down, if anything. The first throw was best for nose. Collapsed wrist=nose up=minus 50 feet minimum.

Keep doing the pec drill, it is working. Get the wrist down. Drive the disc FORWARD TO THE TARGET from the pec not AROUND. Keep your hand in the "other side of the disc" as long as possible.

As far as distance it's not good. Not really sure though as I was throwing off a hill. Bradley I don't really understand driving the wrist down. Is there another way to word that? Keeping my hand on the "other side of the disc" as long as possible through me off as well. Otherwise thanks for the help.

When you start the pec drill your hand is on the other side of the disc (away from your body). If the target is 12 occlock your hand is between 9 and 10 oclock. that is where it should stay for the majority of the throw.

shake hands with a friend. Without letting go raise your hand up over your head. Your wrist is now bowed down in the proper "low hang' position.

From your comments, your main issue is nose up, BTW.

I like your left leg push power. It allows you to widen the stance by about 4-6" and still be properly weight forward at the hit if you drop your knees to about 10 degrees more bent down stance. That should help you harness a little more power into the leg pivot and hip twist.

Autiger said:
As far as distance it's not good. Not really sure though as I was throwing off a hill. Bradley I don't really understand driving the wrist down. Is there another way to word that? Keeping my hand on the "other side of the disc" as long as possible through me off as well. Otherwise thanks for the help.

Curl your wrist in so that the disc touches the inside of your forearm. When you throw, you want your arm to unroll in such a fashion that the disc stays in tight like that until momentum forces the disc out and your arm is almost fully extended. What you're doing is holding the disc like you are now and 'throwing'. Have you ever rolled up a tape measure or something? Then hold the tip and roll it on a table or the ground to unroll it? That's the action you're looking to perform. Your body is the tip and your arm is the tape measure. The end of the tape measure is your hand with the disc in it. When you reach the end of unrolling, your wrist will open and the disc will catapult out. By using this method, you harness all the momentum and power that you can build with your x-step and rotation. Otherwise, it's just arm power.

As for the wrist, hold your hand out like you're going to shake hands, then tilt your fingers down as far as you can. Typically, it's not far. That's wrist down. Now hold a disc and do that same motion. You should see how the front of the disc can be thrown down much more now. That's how you'll want to throw. It'll take come getting use to because you have to be relaxed in that position, yet not let your wrist pop back up again when you throw.

I think this thread is helpful to lots of people. I have some questions about this drill:

1. When doing the Right Pec Drill, should I be sticking to that drill for my whole practice session, or do I work through one step, two step, xstep etc. each session.

2. How many throws should I be doing? I'm not asking for an exact number, but I'd like to have a better idea of what is being suggested when people recommend this drill.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how best to benefit from this drill. Maybe I should just stick to the standing right pec for a week, and throw nothing else - then the next week add in additional steps, and the Xstep?

Thanks very much

My first impression was that you were to do ~20 throws from each position... but i do think if you are not getting the standing pec drill to work right then you are going to amplify your issues by adding a run up.

The right pec drill is an exercise to help you understand the feeling of late acceleration. You'd throw as many discs as you can without injuring yourself, as often as you can until you understand the feeling. Once you do, then you can throw with a reachback - still standing. Once you're doing that well, add a step. Once you're doing that well, and 2 steps. When that's done, do an x-step.

The purpose isn't to quickly get to an x-step, it's to try and maximize your potential at each stop. Thus, when you go from standing still to an x-step, you can actually see a difference in your distance without sacrificing all your accuracy.

An example would be, if you're throwing 250' now, inaccurately, after the drills, hopefully, you're throwing closer to 300'. That's because now you feel the late acceleration and keeping the disc in tight and good snap. So... right at 300' now from a standing position. Work at that and let's say you max out at about 315'. Pretty accurate. So you do an x-step and you're getting 325' now. Well, 10' isn't much to yap about. So you compare your standing throw and your x-step throw and discover that you're not doing the same things.

So you go back to the standing. Then the 1 step. Then the 2 step. This helps you build your base a little at a time. So you don't go from controlled 300' to a flailing madman with no idea where it's going for just another 25'. Once you come to the x-step this way, you should have more control and, I would hope, yield something more like 25'+ additional distance by adding an x-step.

I would also add that this isn't a month or two program. It's more like a year long program. You don't have to forsake all your previous throwing either. In the practice field, you do the exercises and drills. When you go play, you just let it hang out. Eventually, you should find that you're doing the practices and drills well enough that they can translate to the course (maybe a month or two) and then over time, you'll gain distance and accuracy.

Since most courses feature holes where throwing 300' accurately is all you need with distance, then it won't take long for a standing 300' shot to pay off. Then, for the holes and courses where you can really whale, you slowly develop the x-step so you can bomb with some idea of where it's going.

Curl your wrist in so that the disc touches the inside of your forearm.

I completely disagree with this. I keep my wrist neutral and consciously dont try and curl the disc into my forearm. The disc does curl in to my forearm but only at the last minute and its not voluntary...it happens during the later part of the pull.

By getting the disc to the right pec it naturally distends the wrist to its max comfortable point and the whip like manner of the arm comes naturally by looking at other vids. I do not see anyone forcing their wrist to be bent inward during the whole process of reach back and hit.