• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH form check

tooko

Hi!

Long time reader, first post!

So I've been playing for about 14 months now, but my backhand distance has been stuck at about 330ft for 6 months. I was throwing speed 12 discs (D3 was my favourite) for a long time at that 330ft mark but then discovered I have no business throwing those when I throw a speed 7 disc at the same distance mark. I've been throwing the star TL for a month now.

About my form. The biggest thing I am missing for myself, is the sensation of snap or generating spin and explosiveness from the ground up. I am quite familiar with the theory of throwing right but I cannot seem to get the real snap unlocked. Latley I've been watching how Drew Gibson throws. With him, you can hear a strong audible snap and when he follows through, you can see that he has put a lot of energy into the disc because his body just kind of releases upwards even after the throw. I guess that's what I'm after.

In the video, I am actually trying to throw hard and far, but as you can see, it doesn't look very fast which is weird because in my mind I am moving the disc fast :D. That's why I am thinking I am not using my body right. I am rather trying to throw with my arm and that way it is not possible for me to throw much farther.

Here's the video, every tip is warmly welcomed!:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_btoqZn5qM

Sorry about the vertical video, wasn't thinking.

Yeah you've got a lot of the classic mistakes. You aren't really getting bracing on your front leg and your upper body tips over the top and is leading the shot, which causes a collapse of the upper arm to chest angle. See how your elbow is not getting out front in the still image below? It's really hard to show you much with the poor video quality and wearing all black, lol. You've probably pretty much maxed out how far you can throw with using all arm like you are doing now.

yPepVqP.png

But watch your spine go from / to \ during the throw (from video perspective). You want it to be more like / to | which is more centered and upright.

If you haven't already, go to Seabas22 youtube channel (he's Sidewinder22 on here). A good video to start with is power of posture.

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time to watch my crappy video :D. I got your point and will start practicing it asap!

But watch your spine go from / to \ during the throw (from video perspective). You want it to be more like / to | which is more centered and upright.
Not exactly correct. It does look like he is pushing or tipping his spine laterally over going into the plant, instead of shifting and landing in dynamic balance and then rotating on a braced front leg in a forward tilted spiral.

If you just stand in normal athletic ready position with forward spine tilt chest toward knees looking at camera your spine will appear vertical, now if you just shift and turn slightly back or forth that spine angle appears to change relative to the camera or 3rd person point of view, but does not change from the 1st person point of view.

Not exactly correct. It does look like he is pushing or tipping his spine laterally over going into the plant, instead of shifting and landing in dynamic balance and then rotating on a braced front leg in a forward tilted spiral.

If you just stand in normal athletic ready position with forward spine tilt chest toward knees looking at camera your spine will appear vertical, now if you just shift and turn slightly back or forth that spine angle appears to change relative to the camera or 3rd person point of view, but does not change from the 1st person point of view.
I did think about editing that part out... I realize it's more complicated than that and that was a bad way of describing it. I was trying to point out the general idea of a brace, but you're right I didn't explain it correctly.

I did think about editing that part out... I realize it's more complicated than that and that was a bad way of describing it. I was trying to point out the general idea of a brace, but you're right I didn't explain it correctly.
No worries, it's hard to splain some of this stuff.