• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH release point correction?

Jyetzer

Hey there folks,
Been playing about 5 years now with primarily a forehand drive. I've recently learned how to throw a proper RHBH drive, but I'm still in the process of fine tuning, and I have a question.

When I prepare to throw from a standstill, I plant my feet in line to the target, and then proceed with the throw. I release the disc early 90% of the time. By adjusting my feet and opening up my body toward the target a little bit more, I can make my release* on target 90% of the time. Is it bad to open up like this, or is it fine to adjust to my natural release* point.

* My release point is when the disc is ripping out of my grip, so I'm not really sure how to not make this happen other than grip harder somehow? So I guess what I need to know is adjust stance to accommodate release, or adjust release and keep stance?

Firm grip & closed stance will give most consistency. I generally use that stance for every shot outside of odd ball rollers etc. Feet shouldn't really be inline with the target but staggered and pointed away so you can generate power from the ground up and use the body/posture to throw a disc.

Opening the body up early causes rounding in the throw and results more in actively letting go of the disc. A closed stance keeps the body out of the way and allows forna straighter line pull through into the hit/rip.

Swing something that is very heavy and get it to travel straight using it's momentum. You will probably have to close up your stance more than you think. See the end of the first video about stance and power.