• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH Beginer friendly disc

dont be sorry to ask! i was half giving you ****.

all those you listed are fairly comfortable in the hand to flick. well are you throwing 150 class mainly or around max weight? which ever you prefer to, i would start by flicking one in your desired weight. try to throw all your discs in the same weight class. cuz releasing a 150 class is different than a max weight ish disc. it doesnt matter which out of the leopard, shark, valk or tb you choose all should be good learning discs.

I still have a lot of work to do on my side arm before I use it in a game. Although it did bail me out on a short mid range toss earlier I the week. I generally use 150 weight, and the odd thing is I can't get any power back hand (or glide) when I use above 160 weights. Forehand is quite the opposite. I use a 175 Leopard, 168 Valk and occasionally a pro starfire (168), Tee Bird (171) and Sirius (weight unknown)....I have much better results with a heavier disc sidearm than I do back hand....not sure why that is.

I played around with FH for a long time, and could never quite get it. Then I started flicking a 155g Mantis (Ace Race edition) and everything clicked. I can forehand just about anything in my bag now with no problems.

You may want something that's a bit more stable than what you normally throw, as has been mentioned before on this thread. Teebird might be a good choice since you're throwing a Leopard.

This may not be a popular answer but I flick my Star SL better than any of my discs and have been doing it since I started playing. It is a little fast for beginners, but no one told me about discing down when I first started. It is out of production now, but it is the only disc I could not play a round without.

I am a RHFH player and like my Valkyrie for drives and use a Shark or Roc for mid. I have a new Valk and a Buzzzz on the way so will see how they do.

I like my Star Orc. It's probably my main control/fairway driver. I'd suggest that and a Millennium JLS. Good slow discs with good glide. The JLS will glide forever if you let it.

I still have a lot of work to do on my side arm before I use it in a game. Although it did bail me out on a short mid range toss earlier I the week. I generally use 150 weight, and the odd thing is I can't get any power back hand (or glide) when I use above 160 weights. Forehand is quite the opposite. I use a 175 Leopard, 168 Valk and occasionally a pro starfire (168), Tee Bird (171) and Sirius (weight unknown)....I have much better results with a heavier disc sidearm than I do back hand....not sure why that is.

Generally, any characteristic that makes a disc fly 'more overstable' is going to make for a frin

outside of disc advice, most important thing about learning FH is to keep your palm facing up through the throw. if you finish the throw with your palm down, you are rolling your wrist over. by 'up' i don't mean perpendicular to the ground, just facing towards the sky.

best way to learn is get a few putters and learn them from a standstill. start at 60ish feet and work your way out. at schumaker there is a nice little practice triangle i used to develop my short-range forehand - work between the baskets for holes 1,2, and 8.

learning the short throws will help your scores more immediately, and will also help engrain the technique needed to be able to throw drivers accurately.

I have a Roc Pro Plus that works good for my forehand mid range shots. Teebird 11x Champion that is a good fairway driver forehand, still messing with distance drivers and putters. I only throw forehand when the situation calls for it though.

Generally, any characteristic that makes a disc fly 'more overstable' is going to make for a frin

...as I was saying, 'more overstable(OS)' makes for a friendlier fh disc. Besides certain molds (ie Zone, Pig, Gator, Whippet, Xxx), a heavier/denser (ie premium plastic) disc will also fly more OS. Also a 'fast disc' thrown at slower speeds will behave more OS. On that note, if you're gonna get a slower disc (ie putter, slow mid vs. a driver) you also will probably want more OS. Additionally as the disc speeds go up, you may want less OS. Side note, most fh'ers do not prefer slanted inner rims (plus rims) or beaded bottoms (lil bump found on the bottom of lower wing).

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/media/flightguide.html Generally, stick to columns A-G, and under speed 11 for now. For plastic, avoid base plastic. There a lot of choices, and at this point, it will depend on your natural abilities and what you are looking for in flight. My general advice to any new thrower is to start with a putter, and so, the Zone might be a good starting point. Note, this is disc advice for someone wanting to fh out of the box. It may reinforce bad habits for now, but nothing that can't be undone in the future.

On that note, folks say any disc can be fh. Although true, I have never met a fh'er who preferred a 160 Sonic, let alone bag one. And if you do find a fh'er who bags and throws a 160 Sonic, its probably best not to wager against them.

Last thing, about fh technique, if you can fh (3 lines) a light base plastic neutral putter (ie Aviar, Magic), then you're golden. Beyond this, practice (ie high repetitons of catch/throw), post a video and ask Sidewinder22.

I flick 165 Envies every round :p Not quite a Sonic...

I think a neutral fairway driver is a good starting point for someone who wants to "learn" FH as opposed to only having one or two discs in their bag they can FH well at all like people who rely on their most overstable discs for this role.

Discs like the Inspire, Crave, JLS, Leopard etc. are where I'd start someone for driving off the tee.

For upshots and approaches a putter is definitely the way to go. Just find one that isn't too overstable and fits your grip well, then like discgolfallday said practice the 3 major lines with it. Being stuck on the left side of the fairway I flick putters often. Stick my left foot behind my lie, take a wide straddle stance, then flick my 165 Envy on a high anny and let it pan out. Fun shot.

Last edited:

Latest posts