• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rhyno Collectors

I'll try to get one of them both up tomorrow when I can get sunlight on them. The pearly really shows through. Got the Gold with purple stamp from Booter (you can see it on page 13 or 14, and would have had that black champ too, but I think it was Arocep that beat me to it. They are my favorites out of the bunch, next to the worn proline first in line on the second row. It's been the go-to in the bag for a while now.

I have a healthy obsession with the Rhyno, and while I'm not a collector per se, I do have a few that I'm particularly fond of...

Pearly peach champ, pre www Ontario tooling. They don't get much prettier than this one.
7585148702_a52e2ffc74_z.jpg

My beloved bar stamps, my primary putters...
7585146480_9f22d0de49_z.jpg

7585147838_80255997c3_z.jpg

7585145478_b416d07220_z.jpg

That pearly peach champ looks sick.....let me nurse it back to health ;)

...the Rhyno to end all Rhyno's.

This is a 1/1 un-pigmented Mini ProtoStar CE Zippertop (christ does it ever end?) Rhyno.

153599_g.jpg

The disc was stamped, signed then given to a SoCal golfer with a terminal illness. Before he passed on he gave the disc to Ari Agnisan who sold it to John Ryan (Lion) who sold it to me.

This is my most prized disc in my collection :)

Are gummy champ rhynos best for driving/approaching or just putting? Or both? What makes them sought after. I have a brand new really gummy one I ordered online to go with my regular champ rhyno that I usually drive/approach with. Planned on using it for just putts.

How do i tell if they are CE, all of these are slightly zippery it seems. the blue especially. all Ontario

120727-221659.jpg

120727-221724.jpg

120727-221741.jpg

I found this one used at a Play It Again Sports a few years back and have been using it ever since:

gyzhHl.jpg

KxVGdl.jpg

Are gummy champ rhynos best for driving/approaching or just putting? Or both? What makes them sought after. I have a brand new really gummy one I ordered online to go with my regular champ rhyno that I usually drive/approach with. Planned on using it for just putts.

I have a gummy Champ Rhyno that I bought for windy approaches. Really good for that use. I have tried putting with it. I've never seen a disc bounce out of the basket more than this thing does. I think the plastic returns to it's original shape faster than other "soft" plastics do. Once it impacts something, it "springs" back into shape, and bounces out of the basket. I have put it in the basket from pretty far away a few times, but never use it for putts. Even if I have the Rhyno laid up ten feet from the basket, I'll grab my Aviar to finish the job.

I have a gummy Champ Rhyno that I bought for windy approaches. Really good for that use. I have tried putting with it. I've never seen a disc bounce out of the basket more than this thing does. I think the plastic returns to it's original shape faster than other "soft" plastics do. Once it impacts something, it "springs" back into shape, and bounces out of the basket. I have put it in the basket from pretty far away a few times, but never use it for putts. Even if I have the Rhyno laid up ten feet from the basket, I'll grab my Aviar to finish the job.

That stinks. I was hoping the opposite would be true, that it would absorb the impact better. I guess I'll still try my luck and see how it goes.

Have you tried throwing with a stiffer Rhyno, like one in DX or one without the spring back (SE or R-Pro)? It appears the problem is with your gummy Champ Rhyno is the force with which it springs back. No spring back (DX) or less force on spring back (SE or r-pro) and that should alleviate your problem.

Do you have problems throwing hard with it? The softer the plastic, the more OAT it likely to be imparted on the disc because the force of the throw and snap will flex the disc impart OAT.

How do i tell if my rhyno is CE, I have some that are Zippery, but I dont know what to compare it too, or it its zippery enough to be a zipper top.

the zipper noise is pretty audible, and you can definitely make out the record grooves in the plastic. i'm not sure how the best way to explain the feel is, but they just feel different than a regular gummy rhyno. all of the ones i've had were the same color throughout the disc, and were not pearly.

Have you tried throwing with a stiffer Rhyno, like one in DX or one without the spring back (SE or R-Pro)? It appears the problem is with your gummy Champ Rhyno is the force with which it springs back. No spring back (DX) or less force on spring back (SE or r-pro) and that should alleviate your problem.

Do you have problems throwing hard with it? The softer the plastic, the more OAT it likely to be imparted on the disc because the force of the throw and snap will flex the disc impart OAT.

No problem getting accurate distance with my Rhyno. There's a short 250' hole at a course around here. Automatic birdie with the Rhyno. I've had the thing bounce out of the basket on a 15' putt that went right in the sweet spot of the chains. Like I said, good windy approach disc. I also use a Pig, it can handle a little more power. Never throw a Pig if there is the danger of it rolling down a hill. It will roll down the hill.

No problem getting accurate distance with my Rhyno. There's a short 250' hole at a course around here. Automatic birdie with the Rhyno. I've had the thing bounce out of the basket on a 15' putt that went right in the sweet spot of the chains. Like I said, good windy approach disc. I also use a Pig, it can handle a little more power. Never throw a Pig if there is the danger of it rolling down a hill. It will roll down the hill.

This man speaks the truth. If there is a hill even remotely by the basket, it will seek it out and roll....and roll...

And roll...

Latest posts