• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rhyno Nation!

Can't find any flat rhynos. I made one.

Bought a basic champion plastic rhyno with a decent dome. Placed it upside down and filled to the brim with sub-boiling water. Placed a flat lid over the top which makes a seal around the rim. Put in the fridge overnight.

You end up with a puddle top which mellows to flat. Not PDGA legal by any stretch but it's not like there's a test for whether it came from the factory that way. :hfive:

Can't find any flat rhynos. I made one.

Bought a basic champion plastic rhyno with a decent dome. Placed it upside down and filled to the brim with sub-boiling water. Placed a flat lid over the top which makes a seal around the rim. Put in the fridge overnight.

You end up with a puddle top which mellows to flat. Not PDGA legal by any stretch but it's not like there's a test for whether it came from the factory that way. :hfive:

No there is not, I had to do the hot water method to a putter to work out the opps indent spot the disc had, slightly still there just not as bad but the slightly floppy disc got a tad more floppy and might become an uphill/downhill putter in the future as the #2 Upshot in Prostyle I have currently for that slot is getting a tad US where as before it since late 2004 the disc was neutral flight. This disc will make bag a little bit easier to use since that mildly floppy disc is the mold for the putters I use.

Around 6 years ago I got a champ Rhyno on a whim since I was in Sioux Falls where it's always windy. I think I threw a couple powered down approaches, thought it was okay, and then essentially forgot about it.

Recently my putting has been somehow worse than usual and after a bad day in the wind with my Pure I decided today would be Rhyno putting day. Naturally I tee off with it on a couple holes and wow do I regret not giving this thing a chance before.

Its praises have been sung in this thread already but I love the line this disc takes when you drive with it. Dead straight and then it veers left until it hits the dirt. No dumpy fade, just forward. Excellent for the wooded holes on the back nine of my home course.

Putting went pretty well too :thmbup: I'm for sure grabbing a DX at gggt tomorrow.

I have a cglow Rhyno that's my goto upshot disc. Has a slight dome and sometimes has surprising glide. Slightly beat in so can push it straight with a decent but not dumping fade. Switch to a Ti Zone when I need a heftier fade

Sup Rhyno Nation!

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno. I've been working hard on my approach game with an Aviar for straighter shots, Dart for more distance and turnovers, and a Harp for backhands/forehands that need some fade.

I picked up a Star Rhyno on a whim after reading some things, and am trying to make an argument for adding it to my at-capacity bag for an upcoming tournament. I think I'll like it for straighter forehands, windy approaches/putts, and approaches with a ceiling. Sound about right to you?

Sup Rhyno Nation!

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno. I've been working hard on my approach game with an Aviar for straighter shots, Dart for more distance and turnovers, and a Harp for backhands/forehands that need some fade.

I picked up a Star Rhyno on a whim after reading some things, and am trying to make an argument for adding it to my at-capacity bag for an upcoming tournament. I think I'll like it for straighter forehands, windy approaches/putts, and approaches with a ceiling. Sound about right to you?

My money shot with the Rhyno is an arcing anhyzer flick that lands soft. Also backhand straight to fade and flexing upshots 50m and in. Sometimes I think I over juice it and get some surprising extra distance.
Off the tee I like it on 60-80m shots with a lot of elevation because it doesn't want to glide.
Now I just got a Ricky pig and interested to see if and how the complete each other.

Sup Rhyno Nation!

I'm just curious about what throws y'all reach for the Rhyno.

I throw DX Rhynos. They are the only putter I carry. For approaches and drives l like that they go only as far as you throw them. They beat to almost dead nuts straight but still fight wind. It's a great disc if you like low profile.

All straight Tee shots under 220.
All fading approach shots under 150.
All forehand flicks under 100.
All putts.

R-Pro Rhynos make up about 80% of my short game now, but I will still throw a Bullfrog if I need a short Mako3 shot.

All straight Tee shots under 220.
All fading approach shots under 150.
All forehand flicks under 100.
All putts.

Mostly agree with JuanA with some slight tweaks:
- Almost all straight tee shots under 300. Aviars (Or Tanks) get the other ones. Midrange if the ceiling is lower.
- Flex shots that start on anny and need to land flat to match the slope of the ground.
- All fading approach shots under 200. if super strong fade is needed, I'll disc up to a mid.
- Forehand flicks under 200 that absolutely must go to the right (RHFH).
- Most putts. Hard/Soft Tanks are taking up some of the putts Rhynos used to do.

Rhynos were the first putter I clicked with, got a small stack shortly after they were released. Still love them 20 years later :)

Also, if you like Rhynos then you might want to consider checking out a Tank. Tanks are fun. Rhyno top, beadless Aviar PandA bottom. Its a decent middle ground between a Rhyno and an Aviar PandA. They start out decently overstable and break into honey-pot goodness faster than a Rhyno would. Available in hard (near KC Pro) or soft (R-Pro). Just as glideless, soft sticks just as well. I'd love a Champ Tank but I don't think that is in the cards :(

- Almost all straight tee shots under 300. Aviars (Or Tanks) get the other ones. Midrange if the ceiling is lower.
- Flex shots that start on anny and need to land flat to match the slope of the ground.
- All fading approach shots under 200. if super strong fade is needed, I'll disc up to a mid.
- Most putts. Hard/Soft Tanks are taking up some of the putts Rhynos used to do.

Rhynos were the first putter I clicked with, got a small stack shortly after they were released. Still love them 20 years later :)

Also, if you like Rhynos then you might want to consider checking out a Tank. Tanks are fun. Rhyno top, beadless Aviar PandA bottom. Its a decent middle ground between a Rhyno and an Aviar PandA. They start out decently overstable and break into honey-pot goodness faster than a Rhyno would. Available in hard (near KC Pro) or soft (R-Pro). Just as glideless, soft sticks just as well. I'd love a Champ Tank but I don't think that is in the cards :(

There were some Champ Tanks released on the Factory Store when it first opened. I don't know if you'll be able to get one, but I can point you to someone as a start if you want to try. Shoot me a PM for his name so I don't have to make it public.

My rhynos

Death by rhyno champ (driver off tee, windy day putter)

Dx Ontario's (fh approaches, fh putts)

Dx embossed just a natural beauty I bought because it was at Walmart and that blew my mind

Attachments

• 2019-08-21 15.20.56.jpg
    2019-08-21 15.20.56.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2019-08-21 15.21.34.jpg
    2019-08-21 15.21.34.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2019-08-21 15.22.41.jpg
    2019-08-21 15.22.41.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 33
Sup Rhyno Nation!

I picked up a Star Rhyno on a whim after reading some things, and am trying to make an argument for adding it to my at-capacity bag for an upcoming tournament.

I'm sorry to say that I am withdrawing my application for citizenship in Rhyno Nation. I took it out for a last practice round before my tournament and didn't find any needs for it that weren't covered by my Aviar or Zone (just booted out the Harp last night). I won't give up though; I promise I'll take the Rhyno out for a round at the local pitch-and-putt course and see how it goes!

I'm sorry to say that I am withdrawing my application for citizenship in Rhyno Nation. I took it out for a last practice round before my tournament and didn't find any needs for it that weren't covered by my Aviar or Zone (just booted out the Harp last night). I won't give up though; I promise I'll take the Rhyno out for a round at the local pitch-and-putt course and see how it goes!

Take two DX Rhynos and play a couple of best shot doubles rounds with yourself on your local pitch and putt or wooded course. To me, it's the best way to show the versatility of the Rhyno.

Dx Rhynos also make great putters once you get used to them.

Dx Rhynos also make great putters once you get used to them.

Funny enough I started out putting with a Dx Rhyno many years ago. Still got it and it's all beat up. I will take it and the fresh Star one out together.

Take two DX Rhynos and play a couple of best shot doubles rounds with yourself on your local pitch and putt or wooded course. To me, it's the best way to show the versatility of the Rhyno...

Or any disc, really. I can't tell you how many times I have auditioned discs by playing one disc rounds with them. It helps you learn where they excel and when you shouldn't use them.

I feel like Rhynos in various stages of wear and various plastics can cover any putter need. The only slot it might not be able to cover is the super slow finesse shot where I would normally reach for a Polecat/Sonic/UltraStar/etc. But the same thing can be said about pretty much any slightly overstable putter.

Didn't they make recon tanks for the nick Hyde memorial disc this year?

Also I still want to try a tank. Do you happen to have any flat hard tanks you would part with?

Didn't they make recon tanks for the nick Hyde memorial disc this year?

Also I still want to try a tank. Do you happen to have any flat hard tanks you would part with?
I have plenty of hard Tanks with my stamp... but none I would call flat.

EDIT: I didn't hear about the Recon Tanks, I'll have to look into that.