• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Rhyno - Pig - Gator

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
I own a Champ Rhyno and Champ Gator...
i love both....

is it possible to cut both and substitute them for a Pig? Innova's latest catalog suggests (via "pro testimony") that the Pig is the middle of each?

For me the most important factors are -
1) Low power sidearm flick (Rhyno wins! for whatever reason it feels great in my hand. whereas the Gator feels less natural and requires a lot more power.)
2) Wind Resistance
3) Hit and stay on the ground.
4) Control-ability.

If Innova made a Champ Pig i think i would have already bought it.

I've never thrown a Pig, but for hit-and-stay, I'd suggest an R-Pro. Granted, I don't really like this plastic, but it would probably work for that.

I would stick with what you got a pig might be close to a rhyno but not a gator. Gators are just meathooks that i only use when the wind is really heavy or i am afraid of throwing to far in the woods. The pig just seems like a faster rhyno so maybe if your looking for more d on those sidearm flicks it would work.

I've never thrown a Pig, but for hit-and-stay, I'd suggest an R-Pro. Granted, I don't really like this plastic, but it would probably work for that.

unfortunately my R-pro Dart landed next to the basket and rolled 50 feet down a hill today. That's why I normally like that plastic but it didn't work out so well today :doh:

i have 3 pigs. one pro and 2 rpro. and a champ gator. which to me is a longer pig. i dont know about a gator having a huge meathook i throw mine with power for minimal fade and mainly for tight wooded thumbers. the rpro pig in lighter weights hits and sticks. heavier ones like to roll a bit. but for ten bucks hell just go try one.

An ESP Zone might be what you are looking for.

I found the Pro Pig to almost mimick a tire.....in that it has a ton of bounce and weight on the outside of the disc. Way more stable than a Rhyno but at the risk of requiring more power and with more power comes more bounce and rolls....not ideal for me as an approach disc...maybe in grassy fields but not in the woods with hard dirt and trees...I prefer my floppier rhynos to the bouncy pigs....Gator Ive thrown a few times but dont have enough experience to comment accurately on.

Gators skip, no Rhyno or Pig can do that. I carry one Gator an two Pro Rhynos, 165g & 175g.

Maybe what you're wanting is a Gateway Warlock. I'd say it's more of a Gator/Rhyno hybrid than a Pig.

I think a Pig (at least in terms of flight and power requirement) is closer to a Gator than a Rhyno. So, if you intend on using it to putt, I would keep the Rhyno/Gator combo and not get the Pig. While the Pig works for all your categories, I wouldn't recommend abandoning your current choices just to get it.

PIg!!!!!You have bacon, ribs, pulled pork, chops, etc....!!!!!

Gator!! Only good part is the tail and the cheek!!!!!!

Rhyno!! Never ate it but I bet it's tough!!!!!

More versitile with the pig!!!! Lot more choices!!!! Never go wrong with some pork!!!!!

The only Pig I've ever thrown was a super domey pig, it feel soooo beefy in my hands. Like everyone has said, just stick witht he Rhyno/Gator combo.

Goes left!

I originally carried a (Pro) Rhyno for short, hard left turn shots (RHBH) . I wanted something that would go left without a hint of turnover. A new 'Pro Pig' was given to me by somebody who didn't want it. I tried it & it turns left hard. The Pig has replaced the Rhyno in my bag!
As others have stated, the Pig is hard plastic that likes to roll when it hits the ground. But the grippy Pro plastic sometimes helps it catch the ground & stick.
Haven't tried a gator yet.

I have a rhyno and a gator. I don't see much reason to get a pig. The rhyno is a great driving putter and a good windy day putter. It fades pretty hard if thrown at half speed. The gator is like throwing a brick, a brick that the less you put on it the more left it goes. I can throw my rhyno out to maybe 240-250. I can't get a gator that far. But I can throw the gator out 200 feet, and have it go left 50 feet plus another 20 feet with the skip and slide. The rhyno won't do that. I doubt a non-champ pig would either. The gator is plain and simple a utility disc. It gets you out of trouble. But I only know of a couple of holes where I throw it off the tee, and both are hard left turns on short holes.

Recently acquired a Star Gator and been having lots of fun throwing in the field. I am surprised this disc is rated (Innova) Speed 5 when a Roc is Rated 4. I get more distance from the Star SM Roc, where as the Gator seems to stall out like a putter. However, on a very hard yank with a fair degree of annhyzer, I got it out to 250ft with a tight S and little skip. I carry gateway Demons for overstable midrange and they are much easier and more consistent to throw, but this Gator may make it into my auxiliary bag.

I have a rhyno and a gator. I don't see much reason to get a pig. The rhyno is a great driving putter and a good windy day putter. It fades pretty hard if thrown at half speed. The gator is like throwing a brick, a brick that the less you put on it the more left it goes. I can throw my rhyno out to maybe 240-250. I can't get a gator that far. But I can throw the gator out 200 feet, and have it go left 50 feet plus another 20 feet with the skip and slide. The rhyno won't do that. I doubt a non-champ pig would either. The gator is plain and simple a utility disc. It gets you out of trouble. But I only know of a couple of holes where I throw it off the tee, and both are hard left turns on short holes.

^ It doesnt get any more direct than this. My sentiments exactly.