• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky Wysocki #38008

yes, but I'm surprised to hear him elevate it to the degree he has (can't walk if he eats some junk food? seems a bit extreme) Processed carbs to trigger inflammation in some people, a lot of wheat based processes have this affect - hence the need for gluten free diets for some people. Anecdotally, I can tell a difference in how my joints feel if I eat a lot of processed sugar or breads but don't find it to be debilitating. I have never really heard of it having an effect on the symptoms of lyme disease, so not sure about that

Gut microbiome can be pretty crazy.

Sensation is largely subjective. He may not experience any actual extreme reaction where he truly can't walk, but his reaction to his personal sensation of the pain could put him in that place.

I don't have much experience with this, although I did meet somebody at some point who had Chron's disease so talking with him was a glimpse into the world of gut stuff and how it relates to general well being. some part of me thinks this is Rick exaggerating the effects so that he can say that eating healthy has even more benefits. but I guess I will count myself lucky to not have experienced stuff like this in my life so far

I did keto for a while.

It really cleared up some inflammation problems but bloating was awful for me. I also couldn't stay hydrated and it seemed to trigger depression. I had all this energy and was physically performing at levels that I couldn't touch before or after, but I felt numb to the world. I objectively knew that I was accomplishing things that I had worked towards for years, but I derived no joy from that. Which I guess is how it hits some people. If they don't get enough sugar, they don't produce serotonin.

I did keto for a while.

It really cleared up some inflammation problems but bloating was awful for me. I also couldn't stay hydrated and it seemed to trigger depression. I had all this energy and was physically performing at levels that I couldn't touch before or after, but I felt numb to the world. I objectively knew that I was accomplishing things that I had worked towards for years, but I derived no joy from that. Which I guess is how it hits some people. If they don't get enough sugar, they don't produce serotonin.

Just curious, did your diet include a lot of sugar prior to keto?

Last summer I trimmed down my carb intake a bit, but that really was just cutting out any excessive ones. So basically instead of a mountain of pasta at dinner I'd eat a more typical sized serving. I was training for a 100 miler at the time, so a lot of lower heart rate, aerobic, fat burning going on. Not sure if it helped, definitely didn't hurt anything.

That's interesting about not being able to stay hydrated while on keto. Typically 2% body weight loss during an activity is the common threshold for diagnosing dehydration, but I think that's seen a lot of scrutiny in more recent years. I've had runs where I've lost 6-8 pounds during the summer and managed to take in plenty of water. I believe the old assumption was that any weight lost was water loss, but in reality you're burning up those energy stores also, which contributes to some of that weight loss.

Just curious, did your diet include a lot of sugar prior to keto?

Last summer I trimmed down my carb intake a bit, but that really was just cutting out any excessive ones. So basically instead of a mountain of pasta at dinner I'd eat a more typical sized serving. I was training for a 100 miler at the time, so a lot of lower heart rate, aerobic, fat burning going on. Not sure if it helped, definitely didn't hurt anything.

That's interesting about not being able to stay hydrated while on keto. Typically 2% body weight loss during an activity is the common threshold for diagnosing dehydration, but I think that's seen a lot of scrutiny in more recent years. I've had runs where I've lost 6-8 pounds during the summer and managed to take in plenty of water. I believe the old assumption was that any weight lost was water loss, but in reality you're burning up those energy stores also, which contributes to some of that weight loss.

I don't think my diet was anything crazy, but I suppose you could say yes to a lot of sugar.

Dehydrating seems to be one of the most common problems with keto. I'm about 150lbs and probably take in about 100-120 ounces of fluid per day normally with about 80% of that being water. You need to drink more water with keto since there is less sodium to hold water, but I couldn't physically drink more than that without feeling sick.

I have done KETO off and on. Currently doing it.

Dehydration has always been a challenge for me and is even more so on Keto.

Pickle juice is one of my favorites for immediate relief of cramping due to dehydration BTW.

Anyway, it's good to take in fiber and even supplement it on Keto imo.

Supplement minerals as well. Sodium, potassium, magnesium mainly.

As far as depression, I have not heard or experienced that on Keto—though I do have a low level depression. I have always felt better all around when on a fairly strict keto diet.

The only downsides for me have been dehydration and just boring food choices.

Oh—and some level of constipation, hence fiber.

Dehydration is definitely a thing on keto style diets. Carbs help you hold on to water, and when you finally work those out of your system you definitely need to uptake a lot more water during the day. Side effect of not being able to retain water as well can be constipation - but some fiber supplements will help a lot with that.

I felt a lot better myself, and was about 15lbs lighter, when I was doing keto. Can't seem to get back on it though, have a kid now and it's difficult to resist the temptation of carbs in the house. I have to go all-in and purge basically all carbs from the house or I can't stick to it at all.

Dehydration is definitely a thing on keto style diets. Carbs help you hold on to water, and when you finally work those out of your system you definitely need to uptake a lot more water during the day. Side effect of not being able to retain water as well can be constipation - but some fiber supplements will help a lot with that.

I felt a lot better myself, and was about 15lbs lighter, when I was doing keto. Can't seem to get back on it though, have a kid now and it's difficult to resist the temptation of carbs in the house. I have to go all-in and purge basically all carbs from the house or I can't stick to it at all.

I am ignoring the carbs around the house.

I'm about 4 weeks in. The critical factor for me is not to cheat even a little. If I allow my self a guilty pleasure it becomes a runaway train downhill.

Dehydration has been a challenge for me as an adult. I sweat quite a bit when im active and thus lose a lot of minerals. Makes retaining water difficult.

After a golf round, I have to take salt to rehydrate or Im liable to have fierce muscle cramps.

I live by myself, so temptation was easier for me.

And I'm a numbers guy, so macros are fun for me. But I also don't eat red meat and am lactose intolerant, so that made meal planning pretty challenging. I doubt I'll ever eat another avocado again in my life.

Words that we should all live by!

...Wait, what does this have to do with Ricky again?

Everyone I know who has done Keto turned into a miserable grump.

Ricky always seems in a good mood on coverage even when he's losing, so he must be sneaking in some carbs somewhere.

I am ignoring the carbs around the house.

I'm about 4 weeks in. The critical factor for me is not to cheat even a little. If I allow my self a guilty pleasure it becomes a runaway train downhill.

Dehydration has been a challenge for me as an adult. I sweat quite a bit when im active and thus lose a lot of minerals. Makes retaining water difficult.

After a golf round, I have to take salt to rehydrate or Im liable to have fierce muscle cramps.

Normally I'd say check out Tailwind or Skratch powders but I'm sure they've got carbs in them.

Salt Stick chewables are legit. Almost like a salty sweet tart. They're designed to mimic the electrolytes lost through sweat and not just a sodium replacement.

Words that we should all live by!

...Wait, what does this have to do with Ricky again?

threads derail. But really, this (and all forums) are about the people that participate.

So, who cares that this thread says Ricky in the title? What relevance is that? He's not here man...

threads derail. But really, this (and all forums) are about the people that participate.

So, who cares that this thread says Ricky in the title? What relevance is that? He's not here man...

Yeah, it's fascinating to hear how keto dehydrates and constipates you.

Ricky back to Trilogy

Been hearing some rumblings that Ricky might be the big signing DD has been teasing. Apparently they have something in the works besides Rathbun and Matty O. I love DD, but please God, I want Ricky to keep throwing Innova!

Been hearing some rumblings that Ricky might be the big signing DD has been teasing. Apparently they have something in the works besides Rathbun and Matty O. I love DD, but please God, I want Ricky to keep throwing Innova!

Wow! If he switches to DD, what will replace his Pig? That is his 'go-to' disc. Does DD have a comparable disc or will they make one for him?

I would be ok with this. I have grown to like Rick, and like DD. For some reason have a hard time believing this will actually happen, given DDs lack of star power to this point… time will tell. He would be familiar with the trilogy lineup, since he was throwing trilogy not long ago.

I have to assume this was meant in sarcasm.

Can't speak for Bill, but some of us are pretty green and lack good history, so this is good info.

The thread I started on "game changing" discs was somewhat related to this rumor.

Archer>arrow

But if you have really crappy arrows it can be tough to overcome. Not suggesting DD or others don't have good options, just general observation.

I think Ricky will be a force to reckon with regardless of what's in his bag.

Latest posts