• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ridiculously Early 2013 Ace Race Disc Speculation Thread!

Not the best pic but its somewhat similar

29cqiz9.png

10mmwbb.jpg
thanks for the pic - it's good enough. There's more to flight than profile, but from the look and descriptions, I can totally see this competing head to head with the Tee Bird.

Strictly from a business standpoint alone, I'm suprprised Discraft didn't release a mold like this years ago... almost like they conceded that slot to Innova. Not that Discraft should necessarily copy Innova or react to what they're doing, but so many people find the Tee Bird or Eagle to be an indispensible part of their bag, yet Discraft hasn't really offered anything in their line up to suit that need.

So even if it's a wonderful disc, you kinda wonder how many people are already locked in on what they already have for that spot, and how that might potentially impact sales/popularity should it go into production.

Last edited:
I played an Ace Race a few weeks ago. Disc is similar to a Eagle and a Teebird. Little more HSS than an Eagle-X and a little less than a Teebird. The lines it will fly well will coincide most with Teebird lines IMO. I was pumping mine out to 350ft with minimal turn and predictable fade.

The disc is wonderful I think it will be a solid disc in Discrafts "lacking" fairway line up.

The Ace Race was miserable though, throwing this thing at the chains from 200ft wasn't horrible, but retrieving it after flying 80ft into the crap behind the bucket was pretty annoying.

That last paragraph made me laugh.

After throwing mine around I feel that it's closer to an Icon Rival than a TeeBird. Every Teebird I've ever thrown had alot more hss and lss then these Ace race discs do. Both my 165 and 174 have a nice s. The 165 defiantly has more left to right in the S but each mimics the other. Very pleased with these discs. Just not the fact that I got 25 grass green ones.

I was pretty skeptical at first, but I LOVE this disc. The grip, the feel, the flight are all fantastic for my throwing style. I bagged it immediately.

The early Viking comparisons are right on. Only this disc has more glide.

I lost my Champion Viking at Bird's Runs DGC on Friday and was crushed. I loved that disc.

I TD'd and played in our Ace Race here in Horicon on Saturday, and then played a full round with the AR discs.

I will not be needing a replacement Viking any time soon.

:clap:

I was pretty skeptical at first, but I LOVE this disc. The grip, the feel, the flight are all fantastic for my throwing style. I bagged it immediately.

The early Viking comparisons are right on. Only this disc has more glide.

I lost my Champion Viking at Bird's Runs DGC on Friday and was crushed. I loved that disc.

I TD'd and played in our Ace Race here in Horicon on Saturday, and then played a full round with the AR discs.

I will not be needing a replacement Viking any time soon.

:clap:

So the fact that they're not PDGA approved won't bother you or affect the types of disc golf you play?

If you were to give inFlight ratings for the disc what would they be?

This disc will be bagged by many players. It may even (gasp!) replace my Volt. I LOVE the grip, and feel in my hand. The plastic is nice too, and the glide is awesome. I agree that DC should have made this disc a looong time ago.

I found out that the one I´ve been throwing is more understable than any of my TBs. The one I got is 172g and I have to throw it with really big hyzer angle to get it fly without turning over too much.

People seem to like theese though.........Now finally my friends can understand my love towards the Teebirds :)

Maybe I got a dud, but the one I threw felt like a more HSS Cyclone. I wasn't able to get it to the same distance as my Players Cup Trackers. The grip was nice, but the glide wasn't. I was throwing my Truth and mids farther.

Once these discs run in ESP, X, and Z, these could be staples in Discraft's lineup. Very excited to try out this disc in other plastics!

So the fact that they're not PDGA approved won't bother you or affect the types of disc golf you play?

If you were to give inFlight ratings for the disc what would they be?

It won't bother me for casual rounds, which is all I play. I'm sure they'll be PDGA approved if Discraft decides to go into production with them (fingers crossed).

I would say they're about 9/5/-1/2. A bit more glide than a Viking, but almost the same exact path out of my hand.

What's the rim width on these? I'm interested in trying one out.

MY AR13 REVIEW

I just picked a AR13 disc up. Here are my impressions. :popcorn: (first, I've been looking to fill the void of a go-to fairway driver that can handle some power but not a predator)

The AR disc I have is about 167 or so , so fairly light, but in this plastic feels very good. Has some flex, but not stupid light.

The flight I would describe as a slight s shape with more fade than turn. It def can handle a power drive but isnt very overstable,

If I had to rate this via Innova ratings I would say 7/5/-1/2
or something close to that (maybe 7/5/-1/3 ....7/4/0/3 i would guess would be the most off it could be ;))

I ended up throwing on a lot of holes about 320ft. It was the right disc, I use a D2, rga Rogue, Nuke, Avenger SS for most of my drives and the AR is smooth, nice glide, not a big turn or fade. (more fade than turn) So it can handle power

It also can handle Anhyzer. I threw a 30^degree angled anny around some trees and it held and slowly flattened out and landed nicely. It did not hyzer out fast, but does hyzer. Now, of COURSE you can crank the snot out of it and it will flip, or if you anny it and crank it it will not flatten much. There's a lot to do with the thrower too :p

CONCLUSION::::
Pros:::****
A nice go-to fairway / mod distance driver that has decent control, nice glide, handles power, also manages anhyzer throws

Cons:::**
Many newer disc companies have figured out how to fine tune discs to have less of a margin between turn and fade (ie: Rogue...i feel is a great distance driver)
I felt that sometimes this disc would glide upward and cut with a lot of fade, other times it would S shape and end up straight. I know that thrower as well as release angle, torque/spin have a LOT to do with this so really is hard to judge :\

BOTTOM LINE:

A nice fairway/medium distance drive that is comfortable in the hand and you may feel confident with.

NOW GO PLAY ACE RACE! :|

I just picked a AR13 disc up. Here are my impressions. :popcorn: (first, I've been looking to fill the void of a go-to fairway driver that can handle some power but not a predator)

The AR disc I have is about 167 or so , so fairly light, but in this plastic feels very good. Has some flex, but not stupid light.

The flight I would describe as a slight s shape with more fade than turn. It def can handle a power drive but isnt very overstable,

If I had to rate this via Innova ratings I would say 7/5/-1/2
or something close to that (maybe 7/5/-1/3 ....7/4/0/3 i would guess would be the most off it could be ;))

I ended up throwing on a lot of holes about 320ft. It was the right disc, I use a D2, rga Rogue, Nuke, Avenger SS for most of my drives and the AR is smooth, nice glide, not a big turn or fade. (more fade than turn) So it can handle power

It also can handle Anhyzer. I threw a 30^degree angled anny around some trees and it held and slowly flattened out and landed nicely. It did not hyzer out fast, but does hyzer. Now, of COURSE you can crank the snot out of it and it will flip, or if you anny it and crank it it will not flatten much. There's a lot to do with the thrower too

CONCLUSION::::
Pros:::****
A nice go-to fairway / mod distance driver that has decent control, nice glide, handles power, also manages anhyzer throws

Cons:::**
Many newer disc companies have figured out how to fine tune discs to have less of a margin between turn and fade (ie: Rogue...i feel is a great distance driver)
I felt that sometimes this disc would glide upward and cut with a lot of fade, other times it would S shape and end up straight. I know that thrower as well as release angle, torque/spin have a LOT to do with this so really is hard to judge :\

BOTTOM LINE:

A nice fairway/medium distance drive that is comfortable in the hand and you may feel confident with.

NOW GO PLAY ACE RACE! :|

:hfive:

I would agree with all of that except your speed numbers. This thing is at least an 8 speed, if not a 9. IMHO it's akin to a Viking with more glide or a maybe just a Neutron Volt. I'd go 8 or 9 / 5 / -1 /2

I absolutely love this disc.