• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right to left crosswind/tailwind help

timothyasteele

Birdie Member
One of the holes on the course I designed is giving me fits on how best to throw it

The teepad is on the side of a hill, throwing across a small canyon 25 feet below, with the basket about 20 feet back up the other side so it's almost at eye level. The short basket sits on a knoll about 305 feet away, the mid at 400 ft.

The wind rips from 10 - 25 mph over the ridge behind at an angle, so that it's coming at anywhere from a 90 degree angle to 30 degree angle over my right shoulder pushing the disc straight down into the canyon.

What disc and type of throw would you recommend?

I find that a FH gets me the most distance and fights back against the wind cutting through it, whereas all my BH throws get beat down no matter the angle of release or disc type.

Thanks!

Tim S.

I've thrown everything at it. My 10x Aviars seem to glide pretty well at it, but get pushed down below and end up short. Leopard gets squirelly due to the gusting wind and jumps up and down in flight and ends short. Best luck has been a hyzer flipped Buzzz the past few times out there.

Just wondering if anyone has had this particular combination of factors on a shot and how they threw at it. It's a fun hole...not your usual situation.

I've tried throwing higher, but the wind just grabs it and slams it down even more. We're talking steady 15 with gusts to 25 coming over a high ridge behind and to the right.

Tim S.

Last edited:
throw something with decent speed/glide that you can normally flip, like a beast or wraith, and snap that sucker slightly hyzer a bit higher than normal, ride the wind.. pretty much what thems ^^ said

Are you throwing a turnover shot? You should try getting an understable disc and throwing it on a pure hyzer. The wind will carry it and not push it down. You'll get tons of distance this way. Just be careful because it's pretty easy to ride the wind like that right past the hole and into the crap (depending on the hole).

Are you throwing a turnover shot? You should try getting an understable disc and throwing it on a pure hyzer. The wind will carry it and not push it down. You'll get tons of distance this way. Just be careful because it's pretty easy to ride the wind like that right past the hole and into the crap (depending on the hole).

^^ this - I like a valk for that shot making SURE to keep the nose way down.

^^ I also agree with this. If the wind is as consistently strong as you're saying then I'd spike-hyzer my X Buzzz and ride the wind to the pin.

i agree as well. understable disc thrown hyzer. may flip up, but be careful of it flipping over to much if the wind is purely right to left (assuming you're rhbh), if the wind catches the top of the disc as it flips flat from hyzer and then the right wing of the disc tip to the wind you're looking at a scarey - never come back flight line if it doesn't get smashed into the ground 1st.

if there's room, just throw a huge hyzer waaaayyy right and let the wind do the work, should get lots of carry and push

Thanks everyone. Part of it is I've only had a putter and mid or Leopard with me out there most of the time since I'm working on the teepad and don't bring my bag. I'll post a pic tomorrow and bring some higher speed stuff to try out too.

Tim S.

Latest posts