• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

rip medium wizards

abcd

Birdie Member
apparently they are going to stop making them because they are too firm and don't pass the stiffness test.

Cgkdisc *Ace Member*

Speaking only from the Tech Standards standpoint (not Rules), we get discs reported to us to check out and Jason at the IDGC randomly tests production discs sold there which I believe covers most of the manufacturer models when available. Dave at Gateway was concerned he was being called out unfairly but agreed with test results on those discs. He and others have claimed discs from other manufacturers would probably not pass the flex test. We agreed that could be true and offered him the opportunity to specify models we should check. He has not yet indicated any models.

While it's easy to be more black & white whether a disc meets tech specs or not in the lab, it's a whole different issue to handle it in the field from a rules standpoint. I'm concerned about the change in the 2013 rules and the likelihood there may be more confrontations on disc legality. We'll see.

From a practical standpoint, I understand why it doesn't make as much sense to worry about flex on a putter versus a driver. We faced the same question when the blanket 150g weight limit for all discs was being considered in the early 90s for discs in Japan. At the time, I think it was considered a gnarly mess to develop some sort of damage force test for discs that would set some sort of magic standard for the maximum impact of the combination of weight, edge and flex that would be allowed. It would still be gnarly today. And, I suspect the idea was/is not to raise the specter that some discs might be less safe than others from a legal perspective.

I thought it was a joke when I first saw it. apparently there is something to it. I fucking hate soft putters.

Ditto until chuck posted.

Existing ones that have the pdga tooling will still be legal.

I've used mediums for the last five years.

It really feels like the the rules ought to be changed to allow putters to be as stiff as a board. Since there are edge sharpness rules, just make it so that if a disc is blunt enough, there is no stiffness limit. The safety rules are already really close to pointless, and banning stiff putters just flies even more in the face of common sense. Floppy or not, a fast driver is going to do a lot more damage than a rock hard putter.

Like, getting hit with a golf ball would be pretty horrible. In fact, my safety feels a lot more threatened at the driving range, next to a guy with a wild swing, than I've ever felt disc golfing around people with stiff plastic. But in golf, somehow they manage to just play safely to minimize the chances of bad things happening. Don't know why we can't do the same.

My step dad hit a guy in the chest with a golf ball one time. He told the guy to move and he didn't. He teed it high and let it fly. He said the guy fell over and when he got back up and lifted his shirt he had a black divot in his chest with deep purple bruising all around it.

The main difference between us and them is our courses are usually in multi-use city parks with people milling around that don't have a clue as to what we're doing. Golf is on a single use course that is pay to play and the rules are established. Many chuckers don't know or care about our rules.

bottom line we'll still probably be able to get med/g9i/rff wizards. we just have to "promise" not to use them in competition.

Since I've just recently decided I should give medium gateway putters a try, I'm going to give this thread a slight necro bump. Has anyone been able to confirm or deny if they have stopped production on medium wizards? Does that go for all of their putters or just the wizard? This might explain why I was unable to find mediums when I checked the other day...

I've never touched a medium Wizard, but I have two soft Magics. Those are the two firmest putters I've ever handled. If medium is more firm than soft from Gateway, I am picturing a dinner plate at this point.

PMantle said:
I've never touched a medium Wizard, but I have two soft Magics. Those are the two firmest putters I've ever handled. If medium is more firm than soft from Gateway, I am picturing a dinner plate at this point.

Glad you see my point :p First time I saw a disc labeled Super Stupid Soft I was expecting the most ridiculous thing ever, and then realized it was almost more firm than most of the other putters on the market... Picked up a medium and was shocked. I now have put 2 and 2 together and wonder why I didn't buy that Medium when I picked it up the first time...

Crosseyed0811 said:
PMantle said:

Glad you see my point :p First time I saw a disc labeled Super Stupid Soft I was expecting the most ridiculous thing ever, and then realized it was almost more firm than most of the other putters on the market... Picked up a medium and was shocked. I now have put 2 and 2 together and wonder why I didn't buy that Medium when I picked it up the first time...
Wait...so you like putters to feel like stainless steel?

Ryan C said:
But in golf, somehow they manage to just play safely to minimize the chances of bad things happening. Don't know why we can't do the same.
They achieve it largely by not playing in public parks etc. If disc golf was limited to only private courses where only disc golfers were moving around, then disc hardness wouldn't be an issue at all...

Latest posts