• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Rive

I thought they are calling these "grand orbit" so I was thinking it was related to grand plastic. Not the case?

Oh? That may be. I was thinking of the first Ricky Felons and made that assumption. Grand plastic feels so nice. I can't say how the stability compares because formerly Royal line was only in Grand, so there were no other plastics to compare within molds.

How are these seasoning in? Any long term throwers that can comment on durability relative to star destroyers?

Recently been throwing a Rive for my overstable distance driver. I'm a noodle arm and understand that I have no business bagging it but will say it is working well for my game. A flat pull or straight to fade and goes about 320' maybe a little longer. I can force a decent flex shot and get probably 340' or so out of it. At these distances it holds up well in stiff winds. For me it might be the most useable disc of its kind compared to others I've tried.

Rive (vs Ballista Pro)

Tried a Rive for the first time today. Royal grand plastic. I have zero clue how this plastic differentiates from any other Rive models. The plastic itself is shiny, somewhat stiff, yet pretty grippy. The plastic definitely has a premium look to it. Disc is 173g, and has a mild dome.

Overall, I wasn't ridiculously impressed with the Rive, nor was I disappointed. The disc flew OK, but wasn't quite as long as I was expecting. The Rive has a good hand feel, and at no point did I have grip issues or inconsistency in throwing it. The rim on the Rive seems perhaps a bit shallower than the Ballista Pro.

The Rive is zippy out of the hand, but has a noticeably narrower rim than the Ballista Pro. The Rive turns a little initially, than seems to want to fade pretty suddenly, and hard. I also feel like the Rive didn't glide that remarkably.

Top distance with the Rive in the field today might have been 430'. I feel like it should have been a little more. The lack of great glide and hard fade definitely knock down the distance a bit. Ballista Pro (special edition, 174g) was a little longer, and had an overall mellower flight. The Ballista Pro seemed to maintain the high speed turn a little longer than the Rive, and fade later/less harshly. That made it longer by about 10' on most throws.

Overall thoughts: The Rive is a good driver, but I feel like the Ballista Pro overshadows it a bit. The Rive takes power a little better, and the harder fade is reliable in windy conditions. Sometimes Ballista Pros will bend right into the wind and never come back. The Rive can be smashed at 100% power without worry of it getting too drifty. It'll always fade reliably late in flight. The Rive is definitely a disc I'd throw on the course. I won't set any new distance records with it, but I found it to be a very reliable flier. It's never a mystery as to what the disc will do once thrown. In fact, one could probably bag both the Rive and Ballista Pro, and find independent uses for them.

Rive: 13, 4, -1, 4
Ballista Pro: 14, 5, -1, 3

This is how I'd rate/compare the two. For me the Ballista Pro is faster, glides better, and has less late fade, and is longer than the Rive. The Ballista Pro works better for all out smashes, while the Rive is better for pinpoint accuracy. Honestly, the Rive reminds me of a Destroyer that's a speed faster. IMO the Rive is a driver for top tier professional arms (500'+) I throw 450'ish, and I didn't feel I was maxing out the Rive's capabilities. This is a fairly overstable driver for sure.

Last edited:
Tried a Rive for the first time today. Royal grand plastic. I have zero clue how this plastic differentiates from any other Rive models. The plastic itself is shiny, somewhat stiff, yet pretty grippy. The plastic definitely has a premium look to it. Disc is 173g, and has a mild dome.

Overall, I wasn't ridiculously impressed with the Rive, nor was I disappointed. The disc flew OK, but wasn't quite as long as I was expecting. The Rive has a good hand feel, and at no point did I have grip issues or inconsistency in throwing it. The rim on the Rive seems perhaps a bit shallower than the Ballista Pro.

The Rive is zippy out of the hand, but has a noticeably narrower rim than the Ballista Pro. The Rive turns a little initially, than seems to want to fade pretty suddenly, and hard. I also feel like the Rive didn't glide that remarkably.

Top distance with the Rive in the field today might have been 430'. I feel like it should have been a little more. The lack of great glide and hard fade definitely knock down the distance a bit. Ballista Pro (special edition, 174g) was a little longer, and had an overall mellower flight. The Ballista Pro seemed to maintain the high speed turn a little longer than the Rive, and fade later/less harshly. That made it longer by about 10' on most throws.

Overall thoughts: The Rive is a good driver, but I feel like the Ballista Pro overshadows it a bit. The Rive takes power a little better, and the harder fade is reliable in windy conditions. Sometimes Ballista Pros will bend right into the wind and never come back. The Rive can be smashed at 100% power without worry of it getting too drifty. It'll always fade reliably late in flight. The Rive is definitely a disc I'd throw on the course. I won't set any new distance records with it, but I found it to be a very reliable flier. It's never a mystery as to what the disc will do once thrown. In fact, one could probably bag both the Rive and Ballista Pro, and find independent uses for them.

This is how I'd rate/compare the two. For me the Ballista Pro is faster, glides better, and has less late fade, and is longer than the Rive. The Ballista Pro works better for all out smashes, while the Rive is better for pinpoint accuracy. Honestly, the Rive reminds me of a Destroyer that's a speed faster. IMO the Rive is a driver for top tier professional arms (500'+) I throw 450'ish, and I didn't feel I was maxing out the Rive's capabilities. This is a fairly overstable driver for sure.

Interesting findings. I quite like the Rive. If I didn't throw Destroyers, I'd be throwing Rives. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I find the Rive to be Trilogy's best Destroyer clone to date.

The rim depth of the Rive is actually slightly deeper than the Ballista Pro, and equal to the depth of the Destroyer. I measure the Destroyer and Rive to be at 12mm, and the Ballista Pro at 11.1mm.

The Rive doesn't have any inherent speed advantage over the Destroyer either. Its rim measures in at 22.6mm, compared to the 23mm rim of the Destroyer. (I measured 22.9mm for the Rive earlier in this thread but maybe my eyes just sucked that day). The Rive's nose is also equally as sharp/blunt as the Destroyer. The Ballista Pro however is definitely a faster disc, with a 23.4mm rim.

I feel as though the Rive would make for a better general workhorse distance driver than the Ballista Pro for people who throw 400+, as the Ballista Pro gets squirrelly after a while. There are Opto-X Ballista Pros, but man those things are just uselessly overstable.

Maybe you have an anomaly?

I'm a noodle arm but I dabble with big drivers occasionally and have been bagging the Rive recently.

Mine goes a hundred feet shorter than yours but I'd give mine ratings of 12/5/-.5/3

Mine is blue (if color makes any difference) has what I would call an average amount of dome and is marked 173g but I haven't weighed it.

For me it's a great wind fighter or control driver. I do agree it is more of a workhorse type driver and not really a max distance disc for us mere mortals.

Maybe you have an anomaly?

I'm a noodle arm but I dabble with big drivers occasionally and have been bagging the Rive recently.

Mine goes a hundred feet shorter than yours but I'd give mine ratings of 12/5/-.5/3

Mine is blue (if color makes any difference) has what I would call an average amount of dome and is marked 173g but I haven't weighed it.

For me it's a great wind fighter or control driver. I do agree it is more of a workhorse type driver and not really a max distance disc for us mere mortals.

IDK. Mine's light blue, 173g. Even on big anny lines the Rive didn't want to stretch out very well. It'd fight out of the anny and fade pretty hard. I would literally SMASH this thing with all I had and it'd end up a good 30' short of where I wanted it.

Good workhorse driver if you're willing to settle for a loss of some yardage. I feel like I could get a mellow Destroyer out further than the Rive fairly easily without losing any consistency/accuracy. The Rive reminds me of a slightly faster Recoil. I liked the flight of the Recoil, but found it short. The lack of glide on the Rive was noticeable from the first time I threw it.

My favorite "workhorse" driver molds are Bosses, Nukes, Destroyers, or DD3s. Discs that will turn a little on hard rips, but are fast enough and have good glide and go very far.

If I want something max distance and slightly flippier I'll do an Enigma, Sheriff, or Shryke.

Last edited:
Being able to reliably crank a Destroyer as hard as I want flat, and know that it will have some forward pushing drift, but always fade back (at least newish Destroyers) are why I love it as a workhorse driver as well.

It seems as though Latitude isn't immune to inconsistency either. On the whole, it seems as though the general consensus (mine included) is that Rives tend to be slightly flippier than most Destroyers.

I do love a good pop-stop Star Shryke for flippy distance as a temporary replacement for a Destroyer that hasn't broken in to the point of being a Shryke.

I had two Grand Orbit Rives go up against my two Halo Destroyers. Within a week of learning them and seasoning all of them in, they were interchangeable in regards to flight, consistency, and distance. Take with a grain of salt since I was only comparing two versus two, but it was nearly a solid month on local courses where I could throw them multiple times.

The only reason my Destroyers won out was because they were awesome dyes. For the Rives, I had trouble finding dyes on the marketplace, eBay, and Etsy that I liked, so I gave up. I likely would have picked the Rives despite nearly identical results. The Rives just felt better - better grip resulting in more confident snap and release.

On a side note, I have since moved on to the new Cloudbreakers because they too have almost the exact same flight but consistently 5-10 feet longer. Of note, my max golf-line distance is 390-425ish.

I had two Grand Orbit Rives go up against my two Halo Destroyers. Within a week of learning them and seasoning all of them in, they were interchangeable in regards to flight, consistency, and distance. Take with a grain of salt since I was only comparing two versus two, but it was nearly a solid month on local courses where I could throw them multiple times.

The only reason my Destroyers won out was because they were awesome dyes. For the Rives, I had trouble finding dyes on the marketplace, eBay, and Etsy that I liked, so I gave up. I likely would have picked the Rives despite nearly identical results. The Rives just felt better - better grip resulting in more confident snap and release.

On a side note, I have since moved on to the new Cloudbreakers because they too have almost the exact same flight but consistently 5-10 feet longer. Of note, my max golf-line distance is 390-425ish.

I had a new Cloudbreaker in the field today, along with the Rive and Ballista Pro. The Cloudbreaker did great, and wasn't giving up any distance against the faster discs.

Today was the first time I've thrown a Rive. I'll need to give it some more reps before I really say yay or nay on it. I liked the Rive OK, I just don't feel like it distinguished itself against a crowded field of other, similar overstable drivers.

For me the Rive is reliable in it's fade without being too aggressive.

I use it on a water carry where I need a reliable fade, but if it gets too aggressive it'll be crossing the highway. I used to throw super straight shots, but in any kind of wind that went poorly. (the hole is throwing due South just slightly under 300...straight at it)

I have several discs that can do this shot, but I'm really liking the Rive for it.

Reviving this thread a little bit. I saw a like-new Rive in a used bin for cheap and picked up it. It really surprised me with how reliably overstable and smooth the flight was. Fast forward to a few days ago, my local shop started carrying Westside Worlds and I remember loving them back in the day. How does the Rive compare to the World? Has anyone thrown the two side by side? As much as the plastic is amazing, I'm happy to settle with VIP plastic.

Reviving this thread a little bit. I saw a like-new Rive in a used bin for cheap and picked up it. It really surprised me with how reliably overstable and smooth the flight was. Fast forward to a few days ago, my local shop started carrying Westside Worlds and I remember loving them back in the day. How does the Rive compare to the World? Has anyone thrown the two side by side? As much as the plastic is amazing, I'm happy to settle with VIP plastic.

IMO the World is faster and has a tick more turn than a Rive. The Rive also has a dumpier late fade.

Fairly similar flights. I think the World is a little longer. The only trouble I have with Worlds is when they're super flat. Those ones are really overstable and have no glide.

Rive: 13, 4, 0, 4
World: 14, 4, -1, 3

Of the 3 I'd take the Ballista Pro.

IMO the World is faster and has a tick more turn than a Rive. The Rive also has a dumpier late fade.

Fairly similar flights. I think the World is a little longer. The only trouble I have with Worlds is when they're super flat. Those ones are really overstable and have no glide.

Rive: 13, 4, 0, 4
World: 14, 4, -1, 3

Of the 3 I'd take the Ballista Pro.

I have been sticking with the Cloudbreakers since the last time I posted here, and as of now, no intention of switching it up. However, every year I make a compilation video of the previous year's shots. I had a few shoots with the Rive on my Peoria road trip, and for a moment of nostalgia, I considered throwing Rives again.

As for the World, I was all in on them a few years back. I initially wanted to give them a try as an overstable distance driver that I could forehand - that was what the numbers suggested. But after investing in four of them, I could say that the mold did not live up to the online numbers. And then Westside publicly announced a change in their numbers on their website, matching closely what I saw. Instead of forehand, I switched them to backhand and they were awesome - for a year.

And then coming out of the winter (where I put my best two Tournament Worlds away because they were white), like a light switch, they were incredibly flippy. Like -3 flippy. I want to blame it on winter form, but as the spring progressed, at best they were still like -2.5. With better weather and teepads, even the VIP ones I had been using all winter were -2. For reference, most of my Worlds had some mild dome to them.

Seasoning? Slight change in form? I abandoned the mold and switched over to Defenders, and with no change to my form, they were back to what I expected out of that slot in my bag. That began the musical chairs game of Defenders, Corvettes, BioFuzion Enforcers, Wraiths, Destroyers, Rives, and finally the Cloudbreakers.

On a side note: For this winter, I have switched over to Enigmas unless it is an open-field shot. I mostly play city park courses in the winter where I need hitting a line as much as I need distance. With unsure footing and colder hands affecting my grip (I do use an electric handwarmer to keep my hands warm), I find that I overtorque the Cloudbreaker, trying to compensate for not having a full follow-through. I can throw the Engima on similar lines that I would get out of the Cloudbreak during non-winter although I sacrifice a little distance. That is probably why I did not notice the Worlds suddenly becoming so flippy until the spring.

As for the World, I was all in on them a few years back. I initially wanted to give them a try as an overstable distance driver that I could forehand - that was what the numbers suggested. But after investing in four of them, I could say that the mold did not live up to the online numbers. And then Westside publicly announced a change in their numbers on their website, matching closely what I saw. Instead of forehand, I switched them to backhand and they were awesome - for a year.

And then coming out of the winter (where I put my best two Tournament Worlds away because they were white), like a light switch, they were incredibly flippy. Like -3 flippy. I want to blame it on winter form, but as the spring progressed, at best they were still like -2.5. With better weather and teepads, even the VIP ones I had been using all winter were -2. For reference, most of my Worlds had some mild dome to them.

Seasoning? Slight change in form? I abandoned the mold and switched over to Defenders, and with no change to my form, they were back to what I expected out of that slot in my bag. That began the musical chairs game of Defenders, Corvettes, BioFuzion Enforcers, Wraiths, Destroyers, Rives, and finally the Cloudbreakers.

Thanks for all the info! That's really weird about their flight, but I might check out some other things too. I'm throwing a Wraith, Destroyer, GrymX, and a Rive right now because I like the flight of them all, but can't decide on one. I'm hoping to narrow it down to maybe 2 molds, but based on what you said, I'll pick up a World and test it out in the mix.

Thanks for all the info! That's really weird about their flight, but I might check out some other things too. I'm throwing a Wraith, Destroyer, GrymX, and a Rive right now because I like the flight of them all, but can't decide on one. I'm hoping to narrow it down to maybe 2 molds, but based on what you said, I'll pick up a World and test it out in the mix.

The Rive reminds me of a star Destroyer in terms of flight and speed. I just can't make it do what a Ballista Pro does.

World is noticeably faster, and has a shallower rim.

GrymX is more like a Wraith. Slower than a Destroyer.

The Rive reminds me of a star Destroyer in terms of flight and speed. I just can't make it do what a Ballista Pro does.

World is noticeably faster, and has a shallower rim.

GrymX is more like a Wraith. Slower than a Destroyer.

How beat in are your Ballista Pro's? And which plastics are you throwing?

My beat in Ballista Pro's soar for days. The fresh ones are much more stable.

How beat in are your Ballista Pro's? And which plastics are you throwing?

My beat in Ballista Pro's soar for days. The fresh ones are much more stable.

I've thrown everything from brand new to fairly beat Ballista Pros, in gold or opto plastic. A beat gold B Pro is almost too flippy. Brand new they're perfect.

Opto B Pros take longer to beat in, but are still pretty manageable right away.

Latest posts